From: Peter on

>>> http://homepage.mac.com/lco/filechute/ElCap_2bwfw.jpg
>>> http://homepage.mac.com/lco/filechute/Halfdome_DSC0955bwfw.jpg
>>>

>> Just a thought.
>> I wonder if a moderate amount of HDR would work. Your shots look like
>> they were not taken late in the day, or early morning.
>
> I had thought about that as well, but at the time of that trip I had not
> done any HDR work. Two days after taking the shots I have shown here, I
> was faced with a scene off Tioga Pass where the only way I was going to
> record what I was seeing was with HDR. So I took the leap, but I was
> playing it by ear, and I didn't really know what I was doing. Those
> results were so, so, and not entirely satisfying.
>
> Now I have educated myself with regard to HDR, and feel that I can get
> some subtle and satisfying results. Now with HDR Pro in CS5 which can
> produce far more subtle and less over the top results than Photomatix.
>
> I have some ideas for my next Yosemite trip, probably in the Fall or early
> Winter. I want to get some of that Yosemite white.

Try making two copies of the raw image. Using ACR underexpose one, over
expose the other and leave the third normal. Then try an HDR merge. Then use
the infrared effect in CS5. Create a flattened image on top of your layers,
multiply to darken the layer and draw a rectangular marquee to leave about
1/10 of the image size on each edge. Feather to 240 pixels and delete the
center. If you have any luck you will be pleasantly surprised. You should
get a full range of black shading with a subtle dark vignette around the
edges.

--
Peter

From: Peter on
> On 2010-06-22 20:42:49 -0700, "Peter" <peternew(a)nospamoptonline.net> said:
>
>> "Savageduck" <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> wrote in message
>

>> http://homepage.mac.com/lco/filechute/YValley_DSC0964bwfw.jpg

>>> I had thought about that as well, but at the time of that trip I had not
>>> done any HDR work. Two days after taking the shots I have shown here, I
>>> was faced with a scene off Tioga Pass where the only way I was going to
>>> record what I was seeing was with HDR. So I took the leap, but I was
>>> playing it by ear, and I didn't really know what I was doing. Those
>>> results were so, so, and not entirely satisfying.
>>>
>>> Now I have educated myself with regard to HDR, and feel that I can get
>>> some subtle and satisfying results. Now with HDR Pro in CS5 which can
>>> produce far more subtle and less over the top results than Photomatix.
>>>
>>> I have some ideas for my next Yosemite trip, probably in the Fall or
>>> early Winter. I want to get some of that Yosemite white.
>>>

>> Try making two copies of the raw image. Using ACR underexpose one, over
>> expose the other and leave the third normal. Then try an HDR merge. Then
>> use the infrared effect in CS5. Create a flattened image on top of your
>> layers, multiply to darken the layer and draw a rectangular marquee to
>> leave about 1/10 of the image size on each edge. Feather to 240 pixels
>> and delete the center. If you have any luck you will be pleasantly
>> surprised. You should get a full range of black shading with a subtle
>> dark vignette around the edges.
>
> OK, I tried the method as you spelt it out to make the pseudo-HDR, and
> then added the feathered rect-vignette. Here is the result.
> http://homepage.mac.com/lco/filechute/YV-PHDR_DSC0964BWfw.jpg
>
> Interesting, hmmmmm.

This does not look like one of my better ideas. The sky got AFU with blown
highlights and the haze seems exaggerated. The side land mass has more of
the detail I was looking for. Perhaps playing with variations of this
technique using masks. The only reason I persist is that I do like your
basic image.

--
Peter

From: Peter on
> On 2010-06-23 05:41:02 -0700, "Peter" <peternew(a)nospamoptonline.net> said:
>
>> "Savageduck" <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> wrote in message

>>> OK, I tried the method as you spelt it out to make the pseudo-HDR, and
>>> then added the feathered rect-vignette. Here is the result.
>>> http://homepage.mac.com/lco/filechute/YV-PHDR_DSC0964BWfw.jpg
>>>
>>> Interesting, hmmmmm.
>>

>> This does not look like one of my better ideas. The sky got AFU with
>> blown highlights and the haze seems exaggerated. The side land mass has
>> more of the detail I was looking for. Perhaps playing with variations of
>> this technique using masks. The only reason I persist is that I do like
>> your basic image.
>

> The blown clouds were a big problem for me. I suppose a different set of
> + - exposures might be the answer, along with masks.
> ...or perhaps getting to "Tunnel View" early on my next Yosemite trip,
> armed with a view camera and beard will be the way to go.
>
> This has been an interesting exercise and it is always good to try
> different stuff.
> It is all fun after all.

Another thought. How did you originally convert to BW?
I wonder if your original method of desaturation caused the original flat
look.

--
Peter

From: David Ruether on

> I didn't limit myself to one shot on that trip. So I have a few different shots of the valley trying to do that Adams thing, as
> well as some different views of El Capitan, and the ubiquitous Half Dome.
> I tried all sorts of different things, but I can't kid myself, Ansel's work was simply amazing, and I am no Adams. :-(
>
> http://homepage.mac.com/lco/filechute/YValley_DSC0964bwfw.jpg
> http://homepage.mac.com/lco/filechute/ElCap_2bwfw.jpg
> http://homepage.mac.com/lco/filechute/Halfdome_DSC0955bwfw.jpg
>
> --
> Regards,
>
> Savageduck

Even though I had some early successes with showing and
sales of B&W prints to museums (see, for an idea of some:
http://www.donferrario.com/ruether/aht1.html,
http://www.donferrario.com/ruether/aht2.html,
http://www.donferrario.com/ruether/aht3.html, and
http://www.donferrario.com/ruether/aht4.html) but these
pages show only one of my many museum sales (and one
bunch was involved in a funny/complicated/finally-too-bad
story about their fate...). Now, though, I accept that I will
never be a famous photographer/videographer/painter/
graphics-printer/poet/writer/singer/actor/musician/etc., and
that what I can do is enjoy the work of others. It's funny how
I can approach with pleasure works that I would once have
dismissed (and this is now costing me serious money as I
collect movies, music, etc...;-).
--DR

From: David Ruether on

> On 2010-06-23 12:41:24 -0700, "David Ruether" <d_ruether(a)thotmail.com> said:
>> "Savageduck" <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> wrote in message

>>> I didn't limit myself to one shot on that trip. So I have a few different shots of the valley trying to do that Adams thing, as
>>> well as some different views of El Capitan, and the ubiquitous Half Dome.
>>> I tried all sorts of different things, but I can't kid myself, Ansel's work was simply amazing, and I am no Adams. :-(
>>>
>>> http://homepage.mac.com/lco/filechute/YValley_DSC0964bwfw.jpg
>>> http://homepage.mac.com/lco/filechute/ElCap_2bwfw.jpg
>>> http://homepage.mac.com/lco/filechute/Halfdome_DSC0955bwfw.jpg --
>>> Regards,
>>>
>>> Savageduck

[With a bit of sentence-structure corrected...]
>> Even though I had some early successes with showing and
>> sales of B&W prints to museums (see, for an idea of some:
>> http://www.donferrario.com/ruether/aht1.html,
>> http://www.donferrario.com/ruether/aht2.html,
>> http://www.donferrario.com/ruether/aht3.html, and
>> http://www.donferrario.com/ruether/aht4.html - but these
>> pages show only one of my many museum sales, and one
>> bunch was involved in a funny/complicated/finally-too-bad
>> story about their fate...), I now accept that I will
>> never be a famous photographer/videographer/painter/
>> graphics-printer/poet/writer/singer/actor/musician/etc., and
>> that what I can do is enjoy the work of others. It's funny how
>> I can approach with pleasure works that I would once have
>> dismissed (and this is now costing me serious money as I
>> collect movies, music, etc...;-).
>> --DR

> Very nice. The Finger Lakes and Watkins Glen were one of my stomping grounds in the early 70's, as were the Adirondacks between
> Old Forge and Lake Placid.
> ...but you were using a view camera. I am playing with my diminutive D300 sensor.
>
> BTW, the first three url's are dead. --
> Regards,
>
> Savageduck

Those URLs work for me (from your response post, and from my
original), although I did spot a horrible sentence-structure problem
in my post. I wonder why the first three URLs didn't (still don't?)
work for you. BTW, those were shot with a film Nikon - and I
would likely shoot with a D90 now (the D300 and D700 are too
heavy for me now... { :-[ ).
--DR