From: David Ruether on

> On 2010-06-24 08:52:02 -0700, John McWilliams <jpmcw(a)comcast.net> said:

>> To ensure the maximum "readability" of links, put each on a separate line, enclosed in angled brackets < >, with a space and a
>> c/r at the end; nothing else.

> Exactly. --
> Regards,
>
> Savageduck

But, these *are* plain-text only NGs - so why would we think
it necessary to format URLs for rich-text/HTML groups, huh?
--DR

From: David Ruether on

> On 2010-06-24 09:40:57 -0700, "David Ruether" <d_ruether(a)thotmail.com> said:

>> Weird-looking reader - I've never seen anything like that...
>> It has mysteriously inappropriately drawn into the ending
>> the comma which is obviously not a part of the link. Why
>> not just manually remove it when entering the URL into
>> your browser's address line (either before, or after, it fails)?
>> I will try, though, to remember to keep an empty space
>> after a URL in future posts (but I shouldn't need to do
>> that...;-).
>> --DR

> Actually Unison is a very readable client, and one of the best for Mac.
> < http://www.panic.com/unison/ >

Ah, so THERE'S the problem...! 8^)

> ...and no, it didn't mysteriously draw the comma into the ending. I suspect you neglected to insert a space between the end of the
> URL and the comma. A URL is not a word you know.

Yes - but for posts I've put up for 1.5 decades now, simple writing
of the URLs, including punctuation, such as www.PCsAreBetter.com,
have worked fine - and most readers do not incorrectly shove anything
unwanted into the URL (and the URL works just fine). You need a
better reader, or better yet, a PC...! 8^), 8^), 8^)

> The convenience of just clicking on the URL which then opens a browser window works just fine for me.

Works for me, too! ;-)

> It is still best to place a URL on a seperate line, enclosed so, < (space)url(space) > or;
> < http://homepage.mac.com/lco/filechute/_DNC0924w.jpg > --
> Regards,
>
> Savageduck

But, adding the URL as an HTML line *should* be unnecessary in a
text-only group... (Hey, if we let that in, purdy soon people will be
adding HTML visual gizmos and even photos [gasp!] here...;-)
--DR

From: Peter on
"David Ruether" <d_ruether(a)thotmail.com> wrote in message

> Being Asperger, and stupid, I likely would have...;-)

Stupidity is not the issue. I know several people who have Asperger's.
(Sorry Tony.) None of them seem to know when to keep quiet.

--
Peter

From: J. Clarke on
On 6/24/2010 3:23 PM, David Ruether wrote:
> "Savageduck"<savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> wrote in message
>> On 2010-06-24 08:52:02 -0700, John McWilliams<jpmcw(a)comcast.net> said:
>
>>> To ensure the maximum "readability" of links, put each on a separate line, enclosed in angled brackets< >, with a space and a
>>> c/r at the end; nothing else.
>
>> Exactly. --
>> Regards,
>>
>> Savageduck
>
> But, these *are* plain-text only NGs - so why would we think
> it necessary to format URLs for rich-text/HTML groups, huh?
> --DR

You seem to be confusing a long standing USENET convention that is
widely supported by many newsreaders with some kind of "formatting".

From: Robert Spanjaard on
On Thu, 24 Jun 2010 15:41:31 -0400, David Ruether wrote:

>> It is still best to place a URL on a seperate line, enclosed so, <
>> (space)url(space) > or; <
>> http://homepage.mac.com/lco/filechute/_DNC0924w.jpg > -- Regards,
>
> But, adding the URL as an HTML line *should* be unnecessary in a
> text-only group...

It isn't written as HTML. HTML would be:

Enclosing a URL (or a message-id, or an e-mail address) in inequality
signs (_without_ the spaces, BTW) is the best way to avoid ambiguities.

--
Regards, Robert http://www.arumes.com