From: Peter on
> On 2010-06-24 05:37:09 -0700, "whisky-dave" <whisky-dave(a)final.front.ear>
> said:
>

>> "Savageduck" <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> wrote in message
>>> On 2010-06-22 13:10:59 -0700, Mike Russell
>>> <groupsRE(a)MOVEcurvemeister.com>

>>> Nope. Taken last year with a D300 + 12-24mm @ 24mm.
>>
>> So it's not an old print doesn't it have to be 50+ tears old
>> before it's worth anything. ;-)
>
> Darn!
> I thought it was the photographer who was supposed to be 50+ years (that
> could be "50+ tears") old.
> ...and all I am worth is my pension! ;-(

Don't cry. Add the value of the chemical composition of your body.

--
Peter

From: Peter on

>>> http://www.donferrario.com/ruether/aht2.html,
>>> http://www.donferrario.com/ruether/aht3.html, and
>>> http://www.donferrario.com/ruether/aht4.html) but these
>>> pages show only one of my many museum sales (and one
>>> bunch was involved in a funny/complicated/finally-too-bad
>>> story about their fate...). Now, though, I accept that I will
>>> never be a famous photographer/videographer/painter/
>>> graphics-printer/poet/writer/singer/actor/musician/etc., and
>>> that what I can do is enjoy the work of others. It's funny how
>>> I can approach with pleasure works that I would once have
>>> dismissed (and this is now costing me serious money as I
>>> collect movies, music, etc...;-).
>>> --DR
>
>> I must say I enjoyed looking at your work. Your style is refreshingly
>> original. --
>> Peter
>
> Thanks. At the beginning (in the late '60s) I preferred to work
> very graphically, pushing Panatomic-X to 64 ASA in Rodinol
> and using benzotriozole for a limited 5-stop range with a clear
> base (and "glittery"-looking negatives). I produced much using
> this approach that I still consider the best of my work - but
> while I still have the negatives (I hope!), I have misplaced
> or lost many of the prints. My next "style" was the reverse,
> involving pulling Tri-X to 25 ASA in POTA to give about a
> 25-stop range. *Everything* included in the frame at once
> (from the sun in the sky to room interiors, even in the same
> photo) was recorded. Talk about "F L A T"! ;-) But the photos
> had their appeal, if not to most photographers (although the
> well-known fashion photographer Richard Avedon is reported
> to have liked them [ http://www.richardavedon.com/ ] when he
> saw the traveling-show catalogue of these photographs...;-).
> Oh, I can't resist relating the following...;-) I got a show at the
> Everson Museum in Syracuse, and I arrived with the "Soft Images"
> show in small metal frames (the prints are about 3 1/3"x5"), and
> a bunch of 5"x7" unframed prints of the high-contrast images
> mounted on relatively large mattes. I was a little astonished to
> find that "my room" had walls maybe 12' (or more) high, so I
> decided to double-hang the small prints and place the larger
> white mattes over far larger black mattes, held in place by double
> sheets of Plexiglas, for which I expected staff help in cleaning
> surfaces, assembling, and hanging. I got nothing but "Can you
> hurry up - we're closing." comments when anyone came in at all.
> The reason for this lack of (useful) attention was that John Lennon
> and Yoko Ono were hanging their own show elsewhere in the
> museum and all the staff were there... I was too busy hanging my
> own show to go see what they were doing, darn! ;-)
> --David Ruether
> www.donferrario.com/ruether
> d_ruether....@....hotmail.com

Darn! You mean you're not as well known as John Lennon?
Ah! the tribulations of not being famous!

As a side note: I used to do a lot of lecturing to various accounting
groups.
After one lecture I was having dinner with my wife and in-laws. Someone came
over to my table and mentioned that he thought my explanation of an
accountant's potential liability when his client as the subject of a
criminal fraud audit, was the clearest he had ever heard. He said that he
would be calling me with a case involving that very issue. (He did and it as
a substantial case.)
I never told him that was not the subject of my lecture.

--
Peter

From: John McWilliams on
Savageduck wrote:
> On 2010-06-24 05:49:26 -0700, "David Ruether" <d_ruether(a)thotmail.com> Savageduck" <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> wrote in message
>>> On 2010-06-23 14:52:23 -0700, "David Ruether"

>>> OK. I see the URL problem. It was the hard terminal comma on the
>>> first three.
>>
>> Did you copy/paste each URL (inadvertantly including the comma),
>> or click on a URL in your newsreader's display? (Inquiring minds
>> want to know - so I can get it right...;-).
>
> No. The URL shows in my reader window as a clickable link. With the
> comma hard against the URL, and that corrupts the syntax for a URL.
> so for any punctuation mark following a URL there should be a space.

Those links do work in other news clients, however.

To ensure the maximum "readability" of links, put each on a separate
line, enclosed in angled brackets < >, with a space and a c/r at the
end; nothing else.

--
John McWilliams
From: David Ruether on

"Savageduck" <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> wrote in message news:2010062407394721153-savageduck1(a)REMOVESPAMmecom...
> On 2010-06-24 05:49:26 -0700, "David Ruether" <d_ruether(a)thotmail.com> said:
>> "Savageduck" <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> wrote in message

>> Did you copy/paste each URL (inadvertantly including the comma),
>> or click on a URL in your newsreader's display? (Inquiring minds
>> want to know - so I can get it right...;-).

> No. The URL shows in my reader window as a clickable link. With the comma hard against the URL, and that corrupts the syntax for a
> URL.
> so for any punctuation mark following a URL there should be a space.
>
> Here is a screen capture of how your post appears in a Unison window on a Mac.
> http://homepage.mac.com/lco/filechute/DR-01.jpg

Weird-looking reader - I've never seen anything like that...
It has mysteriously inappropriately drawn into the ending
the comma which is obviously not a part of the link. Why
not just manually remove it when entering the URL into
your browser's address line (either before, or after, it fails)?
I will try, though, to remember to keep an empty space
after a URL in future posts (but I shouldn't need to do
that...;-).
--DR

From: David Ruether on

> "David Ruether" <d_ruether(a)thotmail.com> wrote in message news:hvvnfg$qtk$1(a)ruby.cit.cornell.edu...

[...]
>> The reason for this lack of (useful) attention was that John Lennon
>> and Yoko Ono were hanging their own show elsewhere in the
>> museum and all the staff were there... I was too busy hanging my
>> own show to go see what they were doing, darn! ;-)
>> --David Ruether
>> www.donferrario.com/ruether
>> d_ruether....@....hotmail.com

> Darn! You mean you're not as well known as John Lennon?
> Ah! the tribulations of not being famous!

Yes, terrible, isn't it...? 8^)

> As a side note: I used to do a lot of lecturing to various accounting groups.
> After one lecture I was having dinner with my wife and in-laws. Someone came over to my table and mentioned that he thought my
> explanation of an accountant's potential liability when his client as the subject of a criminal fraud audit, was the clearest he
> had ever heard. He said that he would be calling me with a case involving that very issue. (He did and it as a substantial case.)
> I never told him that was not the subject of my lecture. --
> Peter

Being Asperger, and stupid, I likely would have...;-)
--DR