From: David Ruether on

> On 2010-06-24 12:41:31 -0700, "David Ruether" <d_ruether(a)thotmail.com> said:

[...]
>> (Hey, if we let that in, purdy soon people will be
>> adding HTML visual gizmos and even photos [gasp!] here...;-)
>> --DR

> ...and this from somebody open minded enough to move from view camera, to 35mm, to digital. I would never have taken you for a
> Luddite, stuck in the world of plaintext, and MS IT brainwashing. ;-) --
> Regards,
>
> Savageduck

Actually, I moved from an Argus "75" to an Olympus Pen EE
half-frame, to a Practica SLR, to an Exa I SLR, to a Nikon
F/F2/F3 (with a Rollei 3.5F added somewhere along there,
with several Rollei 35 compacts...), and along with much
Nikon 35mm gear was a 5"x7" light-weight view with three
Nikkor lenses, later used as a 4"x5", then a Fuji-Wide was
bought/sold and I still have a Mamiya 645 with two lenses
leftover plus the pile of 35mm Nikon gear. More recently,
I've dabbled in digital stills and video...;-) (Ooops! I forgot
the pinhole cameras I used to build and use...;-) I did get the
impression along the way from writing/reading here that the
formatting is properly plain-text only, not HTML - and I do
have fun tweaking the "Mac-heads" (those who spend vastly
more for similar hardware in order to get the pretty Mac
"plastic goo" all over their computer cases - and let's not
even touch the "better" software issue, except for saying that
Apple finally got smart and made it possible to run PC apps
on a Mac...8^). So I buy/build cheap PCs, which I can
update easily and cheaply myself. As for being a Luddite,
you are right - but it's more a matter of not liking change,
being an Asperger...;-)
--DR

From: David Ruether on

"Peter" <peternew(a)nospamoptonline.net> wrote in message
> "David Ruether" <d_ruether(a)thotmail.com> wrote in message news:i00248$cd3$1(a)ruby.cit.cornell.edu...

>> Being Asperger, and stupid, I likely would have...;-)

> Stupidity is not the issue. I know several people who have Asperger's. (Sorry Tony.) None of them seem to know when to keep
> quiet. --
> Peter

Yuh, "stupid" - we just don't know when to shut up, and we "blab all"
instead (which is often not "smart"...;-).
--DR

From: David Ruether on

>>> http://homepage.mac.com/lco/filechute/_DNC0924w.jpg > -- Regards,

>> But, adding the URL as an HTML line *should* be unnecessary in a
>> text-only group...

> It isn't written as HTML. HTML would be:

> Enclosing a URL (or a message-id, or an e-mail address) in inequality
> signs (_without_ the spaces, BTW) is the best way to avoid ambiguities.
> --
> Regards, Robert http://www.arumes.com

Thanks for clarifying that. As Gilda used to say, "Never mind!" 8^)
--DR

From: John McWilliams on
David Ruether wrote:
> "Savageduck" <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> wrote in message
>> On 2010-06-24 08:52:02 -0700, John McWilliams <jpmcw(a)comcast.net> said:
>
>>> To ensure the maximum "readability" of links, put each on a separate line, enclosed in angled brackets < >, with a space and a
>>> c/r at the end; nothing else.
>
>> Exactly.
>
> But, these *are* plain-text only NGs - so why would we think
> it necessary to format URLs for rich-text/HTML groups, huh?

The angled brackets are not html; they help some newsreaders parse a
long URL.

Speaking of formatting, though, David: Your line wrap is awfully short-
ca. 80 characters is a good choice.

And the sig. delimiter- two dashes, a space and a c/r- what Unison does
to those is not cricket....

Cheers.

--
John McWilliams

"Nobody in football should be called a genius. A genius is a guy like
Norman Einstein." - Football commentator and former player Joe
Theismann, 1996
From: John McWilliams on
Savageduck wrote:
> On 2010-06-24 16:43:04 -0700, John McWilliams <jpmcw(a)comcast.net> said:
>
>> David Ruether wrote:
>>> "Savageduck" <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> wrote in message

>>> But, these *are* plain-text only NGs - so why would we think
>>> it necessary to format URLs for rich-text/HTML groups, huh?
>>
>> The angled brackets are not html; they help some newsreaders parse a
>> long URL.
>>
>> Speaking of formatting, though, David: Your line wrap is awfully
>> short- ca. 80 characters is a good choice.
>>
>> And the sig. delimiter- two dashes, a space and a c/r- what Unison
>> does to those is not cricket....
>>
>> Cheers.
>
> David is using Outlook Express.
> I am the one using Unison, and I fully agree with you regarding how
> URL's should be entered. However I am not sure what you are getting at
> with regard to sig delimiters. From what I see Unison keeps to the
> convention as you stated when I compose a post, and I see yours as I am
> sure you intended.
> < http://homepage.mac.com/lco/filechute/JW-01.jpg >

Ah, I see: OE is mangling your perfectly well formed sig delimiter, (as
seen in DR's replies to you) but that's OE. David is, perhaps, missing a
carriage return on his, or OE butchers it on the outgoing.

All's well and nothing's changed: Google groups and OE are tied for the
worst news handlers.

--
John McWilliams