From: mayayana on
> too busy looking for a damn job! He sent a link request, which I will
gladly
> provide.

Good luck with your job search. It's a bad time
for everyone, I'm afraid. And rumor has it that
MS may be laying off up to 1/6 of their employees
sometime in the next few days. So I hope you
weren't planning to apply there. :)

> 'Jabaco'. The target ofthis project is offering a BASIC programming
language
> for the Java VirtualMachine with a VB6-similar syntax.

It's certainly very interesting, though personally
I feel a bit the way I feel about .Net: It might be
good for OO lovers doing intranet services, and a good
way to get into Java easily, but Java and .Net are
not really very relevant to anyone writing basic
Windows software.

From: Tom Shelton on
On 2009-01-15, Ken Halter <Ken_Halter(a)Use_Sparingly_Hotmail.com> wrote:
> "Bee" <Bee(a)discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> Thanks all for a lot to chew on.
>
> Here's another wad of chaw to relieve some of your cravings.
>
> I just got this in the email yesterday. No time to check it out right now...
> too busy looking for a damn job! He sent a link request, which I will gladly
> provide.
>
> At least it shows that we're not the only crowd around who thinks MS's
> ruthless destruction of VB (along with sending their relentless dotnet
> trolls here) was a mistake... funny.. if you take a look at the stock market
> (overall), VB Classic's demise (as far as MS is concerned) may be
> responsible for the shape of the global economy as we know it (stretching
> things a bit, eh? <g>)
> '==================Hello, since weeks ago I released a new project called
> 'Jabaco'. The target ofthis project is offering a BASIC programming language
> for the Java VirtualMachine with a VB6-similar syntax. The Jabaco syntax
> enhanced the VB6syntax with OOP-features like inheritance and polymorphism.
> The project isfreeware with an open source framework (BSD). The software
> comes with verymodern and powerful features like a graphical GUI-Designer, a
> comfortableSource-Editor, a Runtime-Debugger, a VB6-Converter and several
> other toolsto make your work easier. I hope you find my project interesting
> and linkit to your page. Visit my Webcast to see Jabaco in
> action:http://www.jabaco.org/index.php?page=webcastHomepage:
> http://www.jabaco.org/Banner: http://www.jabaco.org/index.php?page=bannerThe
> Community: http://www.jabaco.org/board/index.php Contact me for any
> questions ... Best wishs from germanyManuel'==================

Downloaded it. It seems to be a strange mixture of VB.NET and VB6. It
supports threading and OOP principals, such as inheritance. It supports
variable initalization like VB.NET

Dim i As Integer = 10

But, it doesn't support some internal VB stuff - like LenB. There's little
documentation, I was trying to figure out the size of the various datatypes.

Anyway, it appears to be nice (well, I only played with it for 10 or 15
minutes)- but, it seems to me, your just as well off using VB.NET as
this. Though, the migration to Linux or other platforms might be a little
easier, since it is java based...

--
Tom Shelton
From: Ken Halter on
"Tom Shelton" <tom_shelton(a)comcastXXXXXXX.net> wrote in message

> Downloaded it. It seems to be a strange mixture of VB.NET and VB6. It
> supports threading and OOP principals, such as inheritance. It supports
> variable initalization like VB.NET
>
> Dim i As Integer = 10
>
> But, it doesn't support some internal VB stuff - like LenB. There's
> little
> documentation, I was trying to figure out the size of the various
> datatypes.
>
> Anyway, it appears to be nice (well, I only played with it for 10 or 15
> minutes)- but, it seems to me, your just as well off using VB.NET as
> this. Though, the migration to Linux or other platforms might be a little
> easier, since it is java based...
>
> --
> Tom Shelton

Holy smokes! An unbiased opinion! Say it ain't so! <g> You're gonna tick
McBarfy off, if you keep that up <g>

I downloaded it as well. I haven't installed it, but I did poke around
sourceforge and took a look at the project. Linux surely seems to be where
people want to go these days... so the answer to MSs age old "Where do you
want to go today" question, seems to be "To the nearest PC with Linux
installed". Several PC manufacturers are offering Linux as a choice these
days.

From: Tom Shelton on
On 2009-01-15, Ken Halter <Ken_Halter(a)Use_Sparingly_Hotmail.com> wrote:
> "Tom Shelton" <tom_shelton(a)comcastXXXXXXX.net> wrote in message
>>
>> Downloaded it. It seems to be a strange mixture of VB.NET and VB6. It
>> supports threading and OOP principals, such as inheritance. It supports
>> variable initalization like VB.NET
>>
>> Dim i As Integer = 10
>>
>> But, it doesn't support some internal VB stuff - like LenB. There's
>> little
>> documentation, I was trying to figure out the size of the various
>> datatypes.
>>
>> Anyway, it appears to be nice (well, I only played with it for 10 or 15
>> minutes)- but, it seems to me, your just as well off using VB.NET as
>> this. Though, the migration to Linux or other platforms might be a little
>> easier, since it is java based...
>>
>> --
>> Tom Shelton
>
> Holy smokes! An unbiased opinion! Say it ain't so! <g> You're gonna tick
> McBarfy off, if you keep that up <g>
>
> I downloaded it as well. I haven't installed it, but I did poke around
> sourceforge and took a look at the project. Linux surely seems to be where
> people want to go these days... so the answer to MSs age old "Where do you
> want to go today" question, seems to be "To the nearest PC with Linux
> installed". Several PC manufacturers are offering Linux as a choice these
> days.

Migration to linux with a .net app, isn't that difficult either. It's just
that Java's been there longer - so, it might be a tad easier to port... What
might be harder is actually developing on VB.NET on linux. The Mono C#
compiler is pretty good, the VB.NET compiler is lagging a bit - but workable...

I'm not that worried about it - if I have to move, I can.

--
Tom Shelton
From: expvb on
"Tom Shelton" <tom_shelton(a)comcastXXXXXXX.net> wrote in message
> but, it seems to me, your just as well off using VB.NET as this.

Jabaco probably works for Windows 9x, while VB.Net 2008 doesn't.