From: White Spirit on
On 21/07/2010 16:27, divoch wrote:

> Thanks for suggestions. However, N900 has never been, as far as I know,
> offered on 3 network. This would probably mean that it will not be
> compatible with free "3 Skype" application [as I found with my SE K810i,
> although listed on 3 website as a suitable 3G phone]. While in UK it is
> quite a bonus to me and my contacts abroad to "have Skype with me" on my
> mobile.

Skype connectivity is built into the N900. Does '3 Skype' have any
benefits over the standard Skype application?
From: Steve Terry on
"Chris" <me(a)privacy.net> wrote in message news:8ao6nsFfd1U3(a)mid.dfncis.de...
> divoch <divoch(a)removethishotmail.com> wrote:
>> I am looking for a new smartphone to replace my Skypephone S2 with
>> emphasis
>> on
>> /mail with ability to read mail attachments (Office documents)
>> /Wi-Fi with ability to use Skype and/or other VOIP clients, mainly
>> abroad
>> /camera capable of reasonable quality standard size pictures
>> /Web browsing for useful info on the go (timetables, train and plain
>> arrival
>> times...)
>> in that order of expected use
>>
>> I am not interested in music or social networking on mobile
>>
>> Choice on 3 is somewhat limited, so either E71 or E72 springs to the
>> forefront for Symbian and HTC Desire on Android.
>> Any suggestions?
>>
> If you really want Skype/VoIP/Gtalk on your phone, you should maybe check
> out
> the Nokia N900 which supports Skype/Gtalk video calls as well as full
> featured
> web browsing (including Flash and a choice of Firefox/Webkit/Opera
> browsers)
> and office features (it even runs OpenOffice if you really _want_ that -
> the
> koffice viewer works just fine for me, though).
> Regards,
> Chris

But the Nokia N900 runs Maemo, even Nokia have given up with it,
the new N8 has gone back to Symbian

Steve Terry
--
Welcome Sign-up Bonus of �1 when you signup free at:
http://www.topcashback.co.uk/ref/G4WWK

From: Steve Terry on
"JL" <newsaccount(a)mail2web.com> wrote in message
On 21 July, 13:15, Chris <m...(a)privacy.net> wrote:
> divoch <div...(a)removethishotmail.com> wrote:
> > I am looking for a new smartphone to replace my Skypephone S2 with
> > emphasis
> > on
> > /mail with ability to read mail attachments (Office documents)
> > /Wi-Fi with ability to use Skype and/or other VOIP clients, mainly
> > abroad
> > /camera capable of reasonable quality standard size pictures
> > /Web browsing for useful info on the go (timetables, train and plain
> > arrival
> > times...)
> > in that order of expected use
>
> > I am not interested in music or social networking on mobile
>
> > Choice on 3 is somewhat limited, so either E71 or E72 springs to the
> > forefront for Symbian and HTC Desire on Android.
> > Any suggestions?
<snip>
>HTC Desire is amazing, except the battery life is short. I think it's
>especially noticeable when comparing to the BlackBerry I had before,
>or an S2 in your case. In reality is it probably fairly typical of
>smartphone battery life and with my usage I get 2 days use which isn't
>that bad really.

Seconded, if i could afford it if go for a HTC Desire too

The number of apps coming out daily for Android is amazing.

Steve Terry

From: Steve Terry on
"Chris" <me(a)privacy.net> wrote in message news:8ap15aFj28U1(a)mid.dfncis.de...
> Steve Terry <gfourwwk(a)tesco.net> wrote:
>> "Chris" <me(a)privacy.net> wrote in message
>>>
>> But the Nokia N900 runs Maemo, even Nokia have given up with it,
>> the new N8 has gone back to Symbian
>>
> Nope.
> The N8 is the last N-Series phone that runs Symbian.
> All successors will run MeGoo (which is basically a rebranded Maemo
> and - in alpha status - available for the N900 already).
> You will be able to upgrade the N900 to MeGoo once it is released.
> Nokia will keep Symbian for their business phones, but supply MeGoo on
> multimedia phones.
> MeGoo will also be available on netbooks and tablets and one will be able
> to use the same software on either devices.
> This is why Maemo/MeGoo is far more featured then
> Android/iOS/WiMo/Symbian.
> PLUS:

Assuming anyone writes apps for it? Plenty of top OS have died because
of lack of support.
If i had Nokia shares i'd sell them now, the future is Android.

Steve Terry

From: Daniel James on
In article <i27cea$gvn$1(a)news.eternal-september.org>, Steve Terry
wrote:
> But the Nokia N900 runs Maemo, even Nokia have given up with it,
> the new N8 has gone back to Symbian

Nokia haven't "given up with" Maemo. Maemo has been merged into Moblin
to make Meego ... which is still a little young to be finding its way
onto consumer handsets, but I'm sure it will.

Cheers,
Daniel.

First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6
Prev: uk.telecom.mobile mini FAQ (weekly posting)
Next: Virgin STD