From: divoch on
I am looking for a new smartphone to replace my Skypephone S2 with emphasis
on
/mail with ability to read mail attachments (Office documents)
/Wi-Fi with ability to use Skype and/or other VOIP clients, mainly abroad
/camera capable of reasonable quality standard size pictures
/Web browsing for useful info on the go (timetables, train and plain arrival
times...)
in that order of expected use

I am not interested in music or social networking on mobile

Choice on 3 is somewhat limited, so either E71 or E72 springs to the
forefront for Symbian and HTC Desire on Android.
Any suggestions?

divoch

From: JL on
On 21 July, 13:15, Chris <m...(a)privacy.net> wrote:
> divoch <div...(a)removethishotmail.com> wrote:
> > I am looking for a new smartphone to replace my Skypephone S2 with emphasis
> > on
> > /mail with ability to read mail attachments (Office documents)
> > /Wi-Fi with ability to use Skype and/or other VOIP clients,  mainly abroad
> > /camera capable of reasonable quality standard size pictures
> > /Web browsing for useful info on the go (timetables, train and plain arrival
> > times...)
> > in that order of expected use
>
> > I am not interested in music or social networking on mobile
>
> > Choice on 3 is somewhat limited, so either E71 or E72 springs to the
> > forefront for Symbian and HTC Desire on Android.
> > Any suggestions?
>
> If you really want Skype/VoIP/Gtalk on your phone, you should maybe check out
> the Nokia N900 which supports Skype/Gtalk video calls as well as full featured
> web browsing (including Flash and a choice of Firefox/Webkit/Opera browsers)
> and office features (it even runs OpenOffice if you really _want_ that - the
> koffice viewer works just fine for me, though).
> Regards,
>  Chris
>
> --
> Linux is great for calculating how much hemp-based tofu it might take to fill
> your bio-gas-powered eco-dome, but for all serious jobs you need a serious
> operating system such as Microsoft Windows.
> <http://shelleytherepublican.com>

HTC Desire is amazing, except the battery life is short. I think it's
especially noticeable when comparing to the BlackBerry I had before,
or an S2 in your case. In reality is it probably fairly typical of
smartphone battery life and with my usage I get 2 days use which isn't
that bad really.

With the Desire you can open office files with the pre-installed
programme but to edit you need the full version. There may well be an
app that lets you do it for free - not too sure as I only have need to
view attachments on a phone.

Web browsing is great, Flash is supported to.

N900 is higher spec and more expensive but lacked something I can't
really describe. Samsung Galaxy S seems to be having good press to.
From: White Spirit on
On 21/07/2010 12:10, divoch wrote:

> I am looking for a new smartphone to replace my Skypephone S2 with
> emphasis on
> /mail with ability to read mail attachments (Office documents)
> /Wi-Fi with ability to use Skype and/or other VOIP clients, mainly abroad
> /camera capable of reasonable quality standard size pictures
> /Web browsing for useful info on the go (timetables, train and plain
> arrival times...)
> in that order of expected use

> I am not interested in music or social networking on mobile

> Choice on 3 is somewhat limited, so either E71 or E72 springs to the
> forefront for Symbian and HTC Desire on Android.
> Any suggestions?

Nokia N900
HTC Desire
Nokia N97

From: divoch on

"White Spirit" <wspirit(a)homechoice.co.uk> wrote in message
> On 21/07/2010 12:10, divoch wrote:
>
>> I am looking for a new smartphone to replace my Skypephone S2 with
>> emphasis on
>> /mail with ability to read mail attachments (Office documents)
>> /Wi-Fi with ability to use Skype and/or other VOIP clients, mainly abroad
>> /camera capable of reasonable quality standard size pictures
>> /Web browsing for useful info on the go (timetables, train and plain
>> arrival times...)
>> in that order of expected use
>
>> I am not interested in music or social networking on mobile
>
>> Choice on 3 is somewhat limited, so either E71 or E72 springs to the
>> forefront for Symbian and HTC Desire on Android.
>> Any suggestions?
>
> Nokia N900
> HTC Desire
> Nokia N97

Thanks for suggestions. However, N900 has never been, as far as I know,
offered on 3 network. This would probably mean that it will not be
compatible with free "3 Skype" application [as I found with my SE K810i,
although listed on 3 website as a suitable 3G phone]. While in UK it is
quite a bonus to me and my contacts abroad to "have Skype with me" on my
mobile.

divoch

From: divoch on

"Chris" <me(a)privacy.net> wrote in message news:8ao6nsFfd1U3(a)mid.dfncis.de...
> divoch <divoch(a)removethishotmail.com> wrote:
>> I am looking for a new smartphone to replace my Skypephone S2 with
>> emphasis
>> on
>> /mail with ability to read mail attachments (Office documents)
>> /Wi-Fi with ability to use Skype and/or other VOIP clients, mainly
>> abroad
>> /camera capable of reasonable quality standard size pictures
>> /Web browsing for useful info on the go (timetables, train and plain
>> arrival
>> times...)
>> in that order of expected use
>>
>> I am not interested in music or social networking on mobile
>>
>> Choice on 3 is somewhat limited, so either E71 or E72 springs to the
>> forefront for Symbian and HTC Desire on Android.
>> Any suggestions?
>>
> If you really want Skype/VoIP/Gtalk on your phone, you should maybe check
> out
> the Nokia N900 which supports Skype/Gtalk video calls as well as full
> featured
> web browsing (including Flash and a choice of Firefox/Webkit/Opera
> browsers)
> and office features (it even runs OpenOffice if you really _want_ that -
> the
> koffice viewer works just fine for me, though).
> Regards,
> Chris
>
> --
> Linux is great for calculating how much hemp-based tofu it might take to
> fill
> your bio-gas-powered eco-dome, but for all serious jobs you need a serious
> operating system such as Microsoft Windows.
> <http://shelleytherepublican.com>

Viewer would do fine for me. However, in my other reply I pointed out the
difficulties in considering anything that has never been sold by 3.
divoch