From: divoch on

"Theo Markettos" <theom+news(a)chiark.greenend.org.uk> wrote in message
> divoch <divoch(a)removethishotmail.com> wrote:
>> I am aiming for PAYG. The problem for me is summed up is in the last
>> sentence of your post. As I mentioned elsewhere I had already one
>> disappointment and I would not want to spend some serious money on a
>> handset
>> only to find out that Three Skype would not work on it.
>
> One of my backburner projects is to sniff the iSkoot client protocol and
> see
> if I can duplicate enough of the signalling to initiate calls. It can't
> be
> very complex to say 'Hello, I'm <username> <password>. I want to call
> Skype user
> <username>' 'OK, please ring 07..... now'. That would mean it'd be
> possible
> to write clients for devices that weren't officially supported.
>
> I can do man-in-the-middle on SSL with no problems (iSkoot is an
> SSL-encrypted web service, I think, looks much like HTTPS). But messing
> about with the networking to get my (Bluetooth-only) phone or non-dialling
> Android tablet to talk through it is a bit of a pain.
>
> (Hardware issues prevent me running platform emulators at the moment)
>
> Theo

I am not sure what the problem is with my SE K810i. Even according to 3
website it should be possible to download iSkoot application from their
website for this mobile. Download goes almost to the end but then it fails.
divoch

From: Theo Markettos on
divoch <divoch(a)removethishotmail.com> wrote:
> I am not sure what the problem is with my SE K810i. Even according to 3
> website it should be possible to download iSkoot application from their
> website for this mobile. Download goes almost to the end but then it fails.

Do you have a way of getting 3 data on a PC (a dongle or tethered phone
perhaps)? The messy way to download the clients on the 'wrong' device is:

Request a text with the download link from the Three website

Open the text and make a note of the URL (something like
http://ghp.three.co.uk/somestuff )

That URL is only accessible from Three's walled garden. So use your
dongle/etc to connect to APN three.co.uk with the PC

Next, you need to fake your browser User-Agent string for the particular
phone model you're interested in. Various programs will do this - I used
privoxy as an intercepting proxy. Google will probably tell you the
User-Agent string for your model.

Then visit the URL and you should be offered the package to download. You
can then transfer the file onto your phone and install it from there. Or
indeed pull it apart and see what interesting stuff is inside, as I did.

Theo
From: divoch on

> divoch <divoch(a)removethishotmail.com> wrote:
>> I am not sure what the problem is with my SE K810i. Even according to 3
>> website it should be possible to download iSkoot application from their
>> website for this mobile. Download goes almost to the end but then it
>> fails.
>
> Do you have a way of getting 3 data on a PC (a dongle or tethered phone
> perhaps)? The messy way to download the clients on the 'wrong' device is:
>
> Request a text with the download link from the Three website
>
> Open the text and make a note of the URL (something like
> http://ghp.three.co.uk/somestuff )
>
> That URL is only accessible from Three's walled garden. So use your
> dongle/etc to connect to APN three.co.uk with the PC
>
> Next, you need to fake your browser User-Agent string for the particular
> phone model you're interested in. Various programs will do this - I used
> privoxy as an intercepting proxy. Google will probably tell you the
> User-Agent string for your model.
>
> Then visit the URL and you should be offered the package to download. You
> can then transfer the file onto your phone and install it from there. Or
> indeed pull it apart and see what interesting stuff is inside, as I did.
>
> Theo

I have Skypephone S2 which may be used as a modem, I think, but I have not
done that. Is that any good? Download link from the text message is
http://ghp.three.co.uk/email/skype/home .

Thank you for your advice but it sounds too involved for me to do.
divoch

From: Steve Terry on
"divoch" <divoch(a)REMOVETHIShotmail.com> wrote in message
> "Theo Markettos" <theom+news(a)chiark.greenend.org.uk> wrote in message
>> divoch <divoch(a)removethishotmail.com> wrote:
<snip>
> I have Skypephone S2 which may be used as a modem, I think, but I have not
> done that. Is that any good? Download link from the text message is
> http://ghp.three.co.uk/email/skype/home .

You can easily change the APN in the S2 connection manager under it's
settings / profile
I'm using a tethered S2 to send this with APN "3internet"

Steve Terry
--
Welcome Sign-up Bonus of �1 when you signup free at:
http://www.topcashback.co.uk/ref/G4WWK

From: Theo Markettos on
divoch <divoch(a)removethishotmail.com> wrote:

> I have Skypephone S2 which may be used as a modem, I think, but I have not
> done that. Is that any good? Download link from the text message is
> http://ghp.three.co.uk/email/skype/home .
>
> Thank you for your advice but it sounds too involved for me to do.

Since I have a netbook that can do all the relevant stuff, here's the
archive:

http://www.markettos.org.uk/ephemeral/Skype_2.0.59_SESOK810I_UK.jar
http://www.markettos.org.uk/ephemeral/Skype_2.0.59_SESOK810I_UK.jad

(not entirely sure whether you need the .jad as well as the .jar)

This won't stay around for very long so as not to annoy TPTB.

The walled garden download link is:
http://download.three.co.uk/un/811/001/skype/simonly/Skype_2.0.59_SESOK810I_UK.jar
(and .jad in the same place)

Theo
First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6
Prev: uk.telecom.mobile mini FAQ (weekly posting)
Next: Virgin STD