From: Buck Rogers on
Hello All,

I have a customer whose computer is infected with Anitvirus Live.

I've googled and found many references about it. I've reviewed the
removal instructions at bleepingcomputers.com, downloaded Mbam, rkill,
and combofix, and have printed out the removal instructions.

However, the dang thing won't let me execute any programs........exe,
com, bat or whatever.........Normal or Safe Mode. I can't run
taskmgr, regedit, or msconfig.

What must I do to allow me to run the removal programs. I've renamed
them, to no avail.

Your help is appreciated.

Regards,

Buck
From: "FromTheRafters" erratic on
"Buck Rogers" <buck(a)rogers.com> wrote in message
> Hello All,
>
> I have a customer whose computer is infected with Anitvirus Live.
>
> I've googled and found many references about it. I've reviewed the
> removal instructions at bleepingcomputers.com, downloaded Mbam, rkill,
> and combofix, and have printed out the removal instructions.
>
> However, the dang thing won't let me execute any programs........exe,
> com, bat or whatever.........Normal or Safe Mode. I can't run
> taskmgr, regedit, or msconfig.
>
> What must I do to allow me to run the removal programs. I've renamed
> them, to no avail.
>
> Your help is appreciated.

Whenever booting to "Safe Mode" fails to prevent malware from running,
the next thing to try is booting from an alternative source.

Some computers can boot from a USB device (BIOS support enabled in the
CMOS Setup). Others from optical drives. Run your antimalware (malware
removal) applications from there. Some OSes provide a bootable recovery
console that can be helpful also.

From: Buck Rogers on
On Mon, 7 Dec 2009 21:11:24 -0500, "FromTheRafters" <erratic
@nomail.afraid.org> wrote:

>"Buck Rogers" <buck(a)rogers.com> wrote in message
>> Hello All,
>>
>> I have a customer whose computer is infected with Anitvirus Live.
>>
>> I've googled and found many references about it. I've reviewed the
>> removal instructions at bleepingcomputers.com, downloaded Mbam, rkill,
>> and combofix, and have printed out the removal instructions.
>>
>> However, the dang thing won't let me execute any programs........exe,
>> com, bat or whatever.........Normal or Safe Mode. I can't run
>> taskmgr, regedit, or msconfig.
>>
>> What must I do to allow me to run the removal programs. I've renamed
>> them, to no avail.
>>
>> Your help is appreciated.
>
>Whenever booting to "Safe Mode" fails to prevent malware from running,
>the next thing to try is booting from an alternative source.
>
>Some computers can boot from a USB device (BIOS support enabled in the
>CMOS Setup). Others from optical drives. Run your antimalware (malware
>removal) applications from there. Some OSes provide a bootable recovery
>console that can be helpful also.

FromTheRafters,

Thanks for the input. Good suggestion.

Question: Would Mbam or Combofix quash the crapware if I took the HD
out and slaved it to another computer? That is, would the programs
look at the registry, etc. of, and clean up the slave? If so, that
seems to be the best solution for me, as trhe computer will not boot
to a USB device.

Regards and thanks again for the input.

Buck
From: David H. Lipman on
From: "Buck Rogers" <buck(a)rogers.com>

| Question: Would Mbam or Combofix quash the crapware if I took the HD
| out and slaved it to another computer? That is, would the programs
| look at the registry, etc. of, and clean up the slave? If so, that
| seems to be the best solution for me, as trhe computer will not boot
| to a USB device.

| Regards and thanks again for the input.

| Buck

MBAM - yes.

If you boot of the Recovery Console or if you place the drive in a surrogate PC you can
remove the offending EXE files, replace the drive in the affected PC and fully scan with
MBAM and other software such as Gmer.

--
Dave

From: "FromTheRafters" erratic on
> On Mon, 7 Dec 2009 21:11:24 -0500, "FromTheRafters" <erratic
> @nomail.afraid.org> wrote:
>
>>"Buck Rogers" <buck(a)rogers.com> wrote in message
>>> Hello All,
>>>
>>> I have a customer whose computer is infected with Anitvirus Live.
>>>
>>> I've googled and found many references about it. I've reviewed the
>>> removal instructions at bleepingcomputers.com, downloaded Mbam,
>>> rkill,
>>> and combofix, and have printed out the removal instructions.
>>>
>>> However, the dang thing won't let me execute any
>>> programs........exe,
>>> com, bat or whatever.........Normal or Safe Mode. I can't run
>>> taskmgr, regedit, or msconfig.
>>>
>>> What must I do to allow me to run the removal programs. I've
>>> renamed
>>> them, to no avail.
>>>
>>> Your help is appreciated.
>>
>>Whenever booting to "Safe Mode" fails to prevent malware from running,
>>the next thing to try is booting from an alternative source.
>>
>>Some computers can boot from a USB device (BIOS support enabled in the
>>CMOS Setup). Others from optical drives. Run your antimalware (malware
>>removal) applications from there. Some OSes provide a bootable
>>recovery
>>console that can be helpful also.
>>

> FromTheRafters,
>
> Thanks for the input. Good suggestion.
>
> Question: Would Mbam or Combofix quash the crapware if I took the HD
> out and slaved it to another computer?

If slaving the drive on another computer is easier for you - yes, you
can clean the drive of detectable malware that way.

> That is, would the programs look at the registry, etc. of, and clean
> up the slave?

No, you would still have to clean up the registry after bringing the
'cleaned' drive back to the "victim" computer. Depending on what
method(s) the malware used to defeat the execution of executables, you
may still not be able to run them easily if you boot from the affected
drive.

> If so, that seems to be the best solution for me, as trhe computer
> will not boot to a USB device.

No bootable CD either? You should suggest strongly to your customer to
remedy this situation (and make backups).

Maybe you could download a 'regfix' file to the victim drive while you
are still hosting the drive on the 'good' computer.

I've had some success with fixing the 'exefile' borked registry by
renaming the 'regfix.reg' (or exefix.reg) file as the malware filename
so that an attempt to run any exe (com,bat, or scr) actually invokes and
imports the regfile. I haven't tried this since I moved from Win98 to XP
though - so it might not work as I remember it.

A lot depends on your level of expertise - good luck.

 |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6
Prev: Hard drive filling up??
Next: additional guard