From: Neil Rutman on
I have CH Horns Vol 1 & 2. IMHO it's a PITA to use on the same machine as
host program. It loads slow and is a cpu hog. I installed on another
machine and it works fine. The samples are very good and there are plenty of
articulations to help make for realistic sounding parts. Horns are always a
lot of work if it's going to be a pretty upfront part. It's tough to do with
midi but it can be done if you put in the time to craft the part properly.
Don't know mojo but CH horns will get the job done.

Neil R

From: Sue Morton on
Yeah that was my thought too :-)
--
Sue Morton

From: Ben Berman on
Neil Rutman wrote:
> I have CH Horns Vol 1 & 2. IMHO it's a PITA to use on the same machine as
> host program. It loads slow and is a cpu hog. I installed on another
> machine and it works fine. The samples are very good and there are plenty of
> articulations to help make for realistic sounding parts. Horns are always a
> lot of work if it's going to be a pretty upfront part. It's tough to do with
> midi but it can be done if you put in the time to craft the part properly.
> Don't know mojo but CH horns will get the job done.
>
> Neil R
>
> "Sue Morton" <867-5309(a)domain.invalid> wrote in message
>> Back on topic... :-)
>>
>> I've heard the Chris Hein horns used in a number of settings, including
>> contemporary music (soft rock and a little pop), they sounded fine to me.
>>
>> That said, I've not heard the Mojo horns used outside of the demos. The
>> demos do sound good. But then, they must or no one would buy the product.
>> :-)
>>
>> I always wonder what skills were required to get some of the demos I've
>> heard, to sound as they do. On some instruments and fx, I just don't seem
>> to come anywhere near reproducing the sounds I hear on demos. That's not
>> saying much, as I'm not particularly talented, but at the same time if I
>> can't get good results from the product then it makes no sense for me to
>> buy it. So I do like to hear the product used not only in various kinds
>> of songs, but also used by a number of people with differing backgrounds
>> and experience.
>> --
>> Sue Morton
>>
>> "Ben Berman" <no(a)thanks.net> wrote in message
>>> I'm wondering whether anyone has a suggestion for a rock'n'roll/pop horn
>>> section? Most of the orchestral horns I've heard sound like tweaking
>>> would be the order of the day to make it fit into a pop/r&r production.
>>>
>>> Based solely on the sound demo files available on the internet, the Chris
>>> Hein horns are battling it out with Mojo horns. But I'm wondering whether
>>> anyone who has used these libraries can venture a guess about usability
>>> in a pop/rock setting?
>>>
>>> Thanks for any thoughts.
>>>
>>> bzb
>>>
>>> --
>>> THE SONG FACTORY
>>> Words and Music, made to order(TM)
>>>
>>> WWW: http://www.thesongfactory.com

Thanks for the input Neil - and for not reminding me to format and
install . . .

Can I ask, how are you connecting the second machine to your primary
workstation? I know there's more than one way to do this, but I've never
had to do it before.

And, before you say it, I know . . . the first step is to format a drive
in NTFS and install Windows . . . 8-)

bzb

From: Ben Berman on
Glennbo wrote:
> In news:j_udnbU2cfCCLI3WnZ2dnUVZ_rqdnZ2d(a)speakeasy.net the killer robot
> "Neil Rutman" <neilrut(a)speakeasy.net> grabbed the controls of the
> spaceship cakewalk.audio and pressed these buttons...
>
>> I have CH Horns Vol 1 & 2. IMHO it's a PITA to use on the same machine
>> as host program. It loads slow and is a cpu hog. I installed on
>> another machine and it works fine.
>
> You know, one thing Reaper can do that I've never tried is that you can run
> a second machine with Reaper as a network host for VSTi and DXi plugin
> instruments. . . . .
>
> another machine over ethernet.

That'll teach me to read through a thread before inserting a question.
Glennbo, is this something that needs to be networked with software, or
do the machines simply 'see' each other over the ethernet connection. My
home network is set up so that no machines can see other machines so my
kid doesn't get too far ahead of me . . . (not hard to do)

Sorry for the newbie questions, but this is an(other) area I'm not
knowledgable in.

Thanks for your patience.

bzb

From: Tom B on

This is the entire text from the manual.. I'm not sure if they mean DXi and
VSTi or simply regular effects.
I might give this a shot and see if it would allow me to run S2 as a slave
so my Laptop could be freed up for the basics. There's still the issue of
WiFi though.

Ben, I'm thinking you would not have to make your PC's any more "visible".
They are still able to see each other at a level outside Windows and ReaMote
probably communicates on that level.

22.1ReaMote

ReaMote is REAPER's network FX functionality. It allows you to have any FX
chain in your project processed on a remote machine on your local network.

This is very useful if you have a lot of CPU consuming effects and want to
add more CPU power to your project without upgrading your main host's CPU.

To set up ReaMote, simply install REAPER and whatever plug-ins you need on
the slave machines. Run the ReaMote slave on the slave machines, then enable
ReaMote in the REAPER Preferences on the master, and you're ready to go!