From: Mike B on

"Bill" <billstanton(a)psln.com> wrote in message
> Thanks.
>
> I hate web-based forums, but I guess they're better than
> nothing.

I was indicating that others, also not especially liking web-based forums
were also seeking safe haven in existing usenet heirarchies.

From: Marshall Barton on
Dennis wrote:
>Assuming that Microsoft does not listen to their users (surprise) and they
>do shut down this forum on June 1st, can anyone suggest other forums?
>
>This forum has been a GREAT source of information and it will be so sad to
>see Microsoft close it.

You know, I don't think Microsoft can close down a
newsgroup. They can take their servers out of the internet,
but the newsgroups should continue to exist on many other
news servers. I plan on continuing to use them just to see
what happens (and put off the bleep web based forum thingie
as long as I can).

If you were connecting directly to the MS servers, then you
would have to find another news server to connect to. That
may or may not be a problem for some or many folks, but I
have always connected to the news service available from my
ISP (who contracts it out to giganews).

The big question is how many folks will be bothered to do
that instead of bowing to MS and switching to the web based
junk.

--
Marsh
MVP [MS Access]
From: Bill on
Thanks Marsh,
I'm glad you described things as you did, as I do have ready
access to an ISP news server and will subscribe to the various
Access NGs there. If MS shuts down their NG server, as I
gather they're about to, I hope others will have the same
opportunity that I do.
Bill

From: Mike Painter on
Bill wrote:
> I've been away for awhile and not up to date on
> the demise of Access forums. All forums? Or,
> just selected ones?
> Bill

It may be all but the message was not all that clear.
If 50 or so groups land on
http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/accessdev/threads at one time
it should be fun to watch.

From: Mike B on

"Marshall Barton" <marshbarton(a)wowway.com> wrote in message
> Dennis wrote:
>>Assuming that Microsoft does not listen to their users (surprise) and they
>>do shut down this forum on June 1st, can anyone suggest other forums?
>>
>>This forum has been a GREAT source of information and it will be so sad to
>>see Microsoft close it.
>

> You know, I don't think Microsoft can close down a
> newsgroup. They can take their servers out of the internet,
> but the newsgroups should continue to exist on many other
> news servers. I plan on continuing to use them just to see
> what happens (and put off the bleep web based forum thingie
> as long as I can).

There has been some discussion in the VB groups about this.
If MS issues an authenticated rmgroup command and it is honored by others,
it will remove the MS heirarchies from those servers.

Time will tell.

> If you were connecting directly to the MS servers, then you
> would have to find another news server to connect to. That
> may or may not be a problem for some or many folks, but I
> have always connected to the news service available from my
> ISP (who contracts it out to giganews).
>
> The big question is how many folks will be bothered to do
> that instead of bowing to MS and switching to the web based
> junk.
>
> --
> Marsh
> MVP [MS Access]

First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
Prev: Richiesta salvataggio modifiche in una mascehra
Next: f