From: Bill on
What's this: "authenticated rmgroup command",
remove a group? If so, it begs the question why
would they do that, as there's no liability regarding
the contents of a public forum.

Bill

From: Marshall Barton on
Mike B wrote:
>"Marshall Barton" wrote
>> Dennis wrote:
>>>Assuming that Microsoft does not listen to their users (surprise) and they
>>>do shut down this forum on June 1st, can anyone suggest other forums?
>>>
>>>This forum has been a GREAT source of information and it will be so sad to
>>>see Microsoft close it.
>>

>> You know, I don't think Microsoft can close down a
>> newsgroup. They can take their servers out of the internet,
>> but the newsgroups should continue to exist on many other
>> news servers. I plan on continuing to use them just to see
>> what happens (and put off the bleep web based forum thingie
>> as long as I can).
>
>There has been some discussion in the VB groups about this.
>If MS issues an authenticated rmgroup command and it is honored by others,
>it will remove the MS heirarchies from those servers.
>
>Time will tell.

I was unaware of that capability and have no idea what an
"authenticated" command is, but if MS can and does do that,
I would think of it as them doing it out of spite. Whatever
justification they make up for doing it, will, in my mind,
be some legalistic mumbo jumbo and may turn me off to this
entire exercise. OTOH, I feel the need of those less
knowleddgable to get answers and the need to continue to pay
forward for all the assistance I have received, so I don't
really know what I will do in the future.

--
Marsh
MVP [MS Access]
From: Larry Linson on
If your ISP no longer provides a news server, get one -- I'm using
news.individual.net, operated by the Free University of Berlin -- solid,
stable, and inexpensive (10 euros a year); there are also other for-fee, and
many for-free servers (Eternal September is one free one that is often
recommended). See you in comp.databases.ms-access... many MVPs and other
knowledgeable developers answer questions there.

Traffic there is lower than what it once was, but I expect it to pick up
when Microsoft shuts down their support of these newsgroups.

"social.answers.microsoft.com" is Microsoft's suggestion. Doesn't seem very
appealing to me, judging from feedback I read about it.

--
Larry Linson, Microsoft Office Access MVP
Co-author: "Microsoft Access Small Business Solutions", published by Wiley

From: Mike B on

"Bill" <mlharding(a)jps.net> wrote in message
> What's this: "authenticated rmgroup command",
> remove a group? If so, it begs the question why
> would they do that, as there's no liability regarding
> the contents of a public forum.

There is a fair amount of opinion in the orphaned VB community that this
might happen as an overall strategy for MS to utilize the forums equally
from a marketing stature as with a source of help for users and developers.

Beyond that I don't have any personal desire to speculate the future, but
rather adopt a wait and see. I personally don't like the forum format, but
if that is all there was then, well.....

From: Mike Painter on
Mike B wrote:
<snip>

> Beyond that I don't have any personal desire to speculate the
> future, but rather adopt a wait and see. I personally don't like the
> forum format, but if that is all there was then, well.....

Properly managed and with features similar to what PhPBBS has it can be OK.
This is especially true for the user who goes there for a single answer and
subscribes to that particular thread.

First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
Prev: Richiesta salvataggio modifiche in una mascehra
Next: f