From: mat on
In article <CA1E4796-3CA8-4101-89A4-AF99E8B7A6ED(a)microsoft.com>,
Dennis(a)discussions.microsoft.com says...

> Hi,
>
> Assuming that Microsoft does not listen to their users (surprise) and they
> do shut down this forum on June 1st, can anyone suggest other forums?
>
> This forum has been a GREAT source of information and it will be so sad to
> see Microsoft close it.

It is really lame that MSFT is closing the forums. They seem to have
gotten really good at making the wrong turns, from my perspective.

I also want to thank the contributors here. I cannot imagine how I'd
have managed over the years without these newsgroups. I don't really see
any of the alternate venues as equal substitutes, and will be very sorry
to see this go.
From: Bill on
I have to add my thanks to that of Mat's to those
who have been of such great help over the past
years. The subtle nuances brought forth from VBA
to an old mainframe guy left my head spinning on
more than one occasion, and I'm really grateful
to the un-selfish contributions of those that came
to my assistance.

Bill

From: David W. Fenton on
"Arvin Meyer [MVP]" <arvinm(a)mvps.invalid> wrote in

> The Microsoft NNTP newsgroups will close.

No, no, no, no.

Usenet simply doesn't work that way.

The MS NNTP server will close, and the web interface to that server
will be gone.

But the newsgroups can and will continue to be propagated on all the
other NNTP servers that carry them.

Now, it's possible for MS to issue a rmgroup command, but those are
so easily forged that most NNTP servers have been ignoring them for
eons, so it's unlikely that any effort MS makes to cleanse Usenet of
its public newsgroups will work.

I recently read that the "powers that be" are considering creating a
bunch of new MS newsgroups in the comp.* hieararchy to replace the
ms.public newsgroups, so keep your eyes open for that.

--
David W. Fenton http://www.dfenton.com/
From: Dennis on
All,

Once again thanks for everyone's help.

God bless and hopefully I will see you in other forums / newgroups.

Dennis
From: Arvin Meyer [MVP] on
I guess I wasn't clear. I meant the Microsoft NNTP newsgroup servers will
close.

You are correct about UseNET. My Earthlink UseNET server carries them all.

Anyone who is using TimeWarner or BrightHouse for cable can probably use
Earthlink instead. You will still pay the cable provider, but in Orlando
it's about 15% cheaper and you get 20 hours of dialup a month if you are
traveling.
--
Arvin Meyer, MCP, MVP
http://www.datastrat.com

"David W. Fenton" <XXXusenet(a)dfenton.com.invalid> wrote in message
> "Arvin Meyer [MVP]" <arvinm(a)mvps.invalid> wrote in
>
>> The Microsoft NNTP newsgroups will close.
>
> No, no, no, no.
>
> Usenet simply doesn't work that way.
>
> The MS NNTP server will close, and the web interface to that server
> will be gone.
>
> But the newsgroups can and will continue to be propagated on all the
> other NNTP servers that carry them.
>
> Now, it's possible for MS to issue a rmgroup command, but those are
> so easily forged that most NNTP servers have been ignoring them for
> eons, so it's unlikely that any effort MS makes to cleanse Usenet of
> its public newsgroups will work.
>
> I recently read that the "powers that be" are considering creating a
> bunch of new MS newsgroups in the comp.* hieararchy to replace the
> ms.public newsgroups, so keep your eyes open for that.
>
> --
> David W. Fenton http://www.dfenton.com/
> usenet at dfenton dot com http://www.dfenton.com/DFA/

First  |  Prev  |
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
Prev: Richiesta salvataggio modifiche in una mascehra
Next: f