From: bugbear on
Ted Nolan <tednolan> wrote:
> I've noticed that whenever I take a picture of a rainbow, it looks much less
> impressive than it did to my naked eye.
>
> For instance this one from yesterday is ok:
>
> http://www.tednolan.net/misc/p1120927.jpg
>
> but looked much better in real life.
>
> Any tips for punching rainbows up in GIMP?

Alternatively, can anyone give an explanation
of why photos of rainbows tend to be disappointing
compared to the Mk1 human eyeball ?

I've experienced this too.

(some of the corrections in this thread
have been pretty good, BTW)

BugBear
From: John Navas on
On Wed, 30 Jun 2010 17:24:19 +0100, in
<UsadnZMeM4Yp8rbRnZ2dnUVZ8m-dnZ2d(a)brightview.co.uk>, bugbear
<bugbear(a)trim_papermule.co.uk_trim> wrote:

>Ted Nolan <tednolan> wrote:
>> I've noticed that whenever I take a picture of a rainbow, it looks much less
>> impressive than it did to my naked eye.
>>
>> For instance this one from yesterday is ok:
>>
>> http://www.tednolan.net/misc/p1120927.jpg
>>
>> but looked much better in real life.
>>
>> Any tips for punching rainbows up in GIMP?
>
>Alternatively, can anyone give an explanation
>of why photos of rainbows tend to be disappointing
>compared to the Mk1 human eyeball ?
>
>I've experienced this too.

The short answer is that human visual perception is subjective --
our brains apply all sorts of adjustment and correction, part of why
post-processing is needed to attain a similar photographic result.

--
Best regards,
John

Buying a dSLR doesn't make you a photographer,
it makes you a dSLR owner.
"The single most important component of a camera
is the twelve inches behind it." -Ansel Adams
From: John McWilliams on
Ted Nolan <tednolan> wrote:
> In article <dikm26t5tgc0pgm927u0u0nt74088fn49f(a)4ax.com>,
> John Navas <jncl1(a)navasgroup.com> wrote:
>> On 30 Jun 2010 07:08:42 GMT, in <8908rqFol3U1(a)mid.individual.net>,
>> ted(a)loft.tnolan.com (Ted Nolan <tednolan>) wrote:
>>
>>> I've noticed that whenever I take a picture of a rainbow, it looks much less
>>> impressive than it did to my naked eye.
>>>
>>> For instance this one from yesterday is ok:
>>>
>>> http://www.tednolan.net/misc/p1120927.jpg
>>>
>>> but looked much better in real life.
>>>
>>> Any tips for punching rainbows up in GIMP?
>> 1. Adjust levels
>> 2. Correct color
>> 3. Increase saturation
>>
>> <http://i48.tinypic.com/2k11fk.jpg>
>>

> Oh, very nice!
>
> Thanks

yes, good on the colors, but how 'bout that stack?? Quite some
distortion, unless it's about to fall down.

--
John McWilliams
From: John Navas on
On Wed, 30 Jun 2010 10:13:12 -0700, in
<i0ftv8$497$1(a)news.eternal-september.org>, John McWilliams
<jpmcw(a)comcast.net> wrote:

>Ted Nolan <tednolan> wrote:
>> In article <dikm26t5tgc0pgm927u0u0nt74088fn49f(a)4ax.com>,
>> John Navas <jncl1(a)navasgroup.com> wrote:

>>> 1. Adjust levels
>>> 2. Correct color
>>> 3. Increase saturation
>>>
>>> <http://i48.tinypic.com/2k11fk.jpg>
>>>

>> Oh, very nice!
>>
>> Thanks
>
>yes, good on the colors, but how 'bout that stack?? Quite some
>distortion, unless it's about to fall down.

I think the perspective distortion is fine, but OK:
<http://i49.tinypic.com/2zsv4hx.jpg>

From: Kevin McMurtrie on
In article <8908rqFol3U1(a)mid.individual.net>,
ted(a)loft.tnolan.com (Ted Nolan <tednolan>) wrote:

> I've noticed that whenever I take a picture of a rainbow, it looks much less
> impressive than it did to my naked eye.
>
> For instance this one from yesterday is ok:
>
> http://www.tednolan.net/misc/p1120927.jpg
>
> but looked much better in real life.
>
> Any tips for punching rainbows up in GIMP?
>
> Ted

Manual RGB level correction, a saturation boost, and 50% reduction:
http://www.pixelmemory.us/~mcmurtri/p1120927.jpg

Of course I have no idea what it's supposed to look like because I
wasn't there. Maybe I ruined a sunset.