From: Ted Nolan <tednolan> on
In article <j2bkxloqauu0$.dlg(a)mike.curvemeister.com>,
Mike Russell <groupsRE(a)MOVEcurvemeister.com> wrote:
>On 30 Jun 2010 07:08:42 GMT, Ted Nolan <tednolan> wrote:
>
>> I've noticed that whenever I take a picture of a rainbow, it looks much less
>> impressive than it did to my naked eye.
>>
>> For instance this one from yesterday is ok:
>>
>> http://www.tednolan.net/misc/p1120927.jpg
>>
>> but looked much better in real life.
>>
>> Any tips for punching rainbows up in GIMP?
>
>Here's one I did with curves in Photoshop, using Lab mode and layer
>blending:
>http://mike.russell-home.net/tmp/rainbow/p1120927-lab1.jpg
>
>The basic problem is an orange cast, and lack of contrast and saturation.
>
>This is an interesting example that, only with your permission, I'd like to
>make available to my forum for experimentation.
>--
>Mike Russell - http://www.curvemeister.com

Sure, have at it!

And thanks.

Ted
--
------
columbiaclosings.com
From: Ted Nolan <tednolan> on
In article <i0ftv8$497$1(a)news.eternal-september.org>,
John McWilliams <jpmcw(a)comcast.net> wrote:
>Ted Nolan <tednolan> wrote:
>> In article <dikm26t5tgc0pgm927u0u0nt74088fn49f(a)4ax.com>,
>> John Navas <jncl1(a)navasgroup.com> wrote:

>>> 1. Adjust levels
>>> 2. Correct color
>>> 3. Increase saturation
>>>
>>> <http://i48.tinypic.com/2k11fk.jpg>
>>>

>> Oh, very nice!
>>
>> Thanks
>
>yes, good on the colors, but how 'bout that stack?? Quite some
>distortion, unless it's about to fall down.
>
>--
>John McWilliams

Probably perspective and some lens distortion (the LX3 .rw2 files don't
correct for that). *That* I figure I can fix.

Ted
--
------
From: Ted Nolan <tednolan> on
In article <89kajtF4bqU1(a)mid.individual.net>,
Ted Nolan <tednolan> <tednolan> wrote:
>In article <j2bkxloqauu0$.dlg(a)mike.curvemeister.com>,
>Mike Russell <groupsRE(a)MOVEcurvemeister.com> wrote:
>>On 30 Jun 2010 07:08:42 GMT, Ted Nolan <tednolan> wrote:
>>
>>> I've noticed that whenever I take a picture of a rainbow, it looks much less
>>> impressive than it did to my naked eye.
>>>
>>> For instance this one from yesterday is ok:
>>>
>>> http://www.tednolan.net/misc/p1120927.jpg
>>>
>>> but looked much better in real life.
>>>
>>> Any tips for punching rainbows up in GIMP?
>>
>>Here's one I did with curves in Photoshop, using Lab mode and layer
>>blending:
>>http://mike.russell-home.net/tmp/rainbow/p1120927-lab1.jpg
>>
>>The basic problem is an orange cast, and lack of contrast and saturation.
>>
>>This is an interesting example that, only with your permission, I'd like to
>>make available to my forum for experimentation.
>>--
>>Mike Russell - http://www.curvemeister.com
>
>Sure, have at it!
>
>And thanks.
>
> Ted

Oh, and here's

http://www.tednolan.net/misc/p1120927.rw2

the 'raw' file if that adds anything.

Ted
--
------
From: Ted Nolan <tednolan> on
In article <a4rm26tnrmach3s8015llsktans4m0ktle(a)4ax.com>,
John Navas <jncl1(a)navasgroup.com> wrote:
>On 30 Jun 2010 07:08:42 GMT, in <8908rqFol3U1(a)mid.individual.net>,
>ted(a)loft.tnolan.com (Ted Nolan <tednolan>) wrote:
>
>>I've noticed that whenever I take a picture of a rainbow, it looks much less
>>impressive than it did to my naked eye.
>>
>>For instance this one from yesterday is ok:
>>
>> http://www.tednolan.net/misc/p1120927.jpg
>>
>>but looked much better in real life.
>>
>>Any tips for punching rainbows up in GIMP?
>
>So which one is truest to your memory and/or taste?
>
>--
>Best regards,
>John

That's a hard question. I think every one of them is an improvement on
the original.

In the end, I think the three best were Robert Spanjaard's, Mike Russell's
and SneakyP's.

If I had to pick one, I think it would be Mike Russell's p1120927-lab1
for best overall combination of rainbow plus twilight setting.
It's a near thing though.

Thanks everyone!

Ted
--
------
From: LOL! on
On 7 Jul 2010 22:27:08 GMT, ted(a)loft.tnolan.com (Ted Nolan <tednolan>)
wrote:

>In article <a4rm26tnrmach3s8015llsktans4m0ktle(a)4ax.com>,
>John Navas <jncl1(a)navasgroup.com> wrote:
>>On 30 Jun 2010 07:08:42 GMT, in <8908rqFol3U1(a)mid.individual.net>,
>>ted(a)loft.tnolan.com (Ted Nolan <tednolan>) wrote:
>>
>>>I've noticed that whenever I take a picture of a rainbow, it looks much less
>>>impressive than it did to my naked eye.
>>>
>>>For instance this one from yesterday is ok:
>>>
>>> http://www.tednolan.net/misc/p1120927.jpg
>>>
>>>but looked much better in real life.
>>>
>>>Any tips for punching rainbows up in GIMP?
>>
>>So which one is truest to your memory and/or taste?
>>
>>--
>>Best regards,
>>John
>>

>That's a hard question. I think every one of them is an improvement on
>the original.
>
>In the end, I think the three best were Robert Spanjaard's, Mike Russell's
>and SneakyP's.
>
>If I had to pick one, I think it would be Mike Russell's p1120927-lab1
>for best overall combination of rainbow plus twilight setting.
>It's a near thing though.
>
>Thanks everyone!
>
> Ted

Thus endeth their lessons of "Beginner's Editing 101".

LOL!