From: Karl E. Peterson on
Helmut Meukel wrote:
> "Helmut Meukel" <NoSpam(a)NoProvider.de> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
>> "Karl E. Peterson" <karl(a)exmvps.org> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
>>> Seems unusually dead here today. Heard rumors of server issues, and this
>>> group certainly fits that pattern...?
>>>

>> Hmmm,
>>
>> your post is the first in about 24 hours, I looked at Google Groups,
>> they only had 2 additional posts about faked Passports,...
>>
>> Helmut.
>

> Sorry, counted only new threads, I got 7 posts totally plus your post.
> Helmut.

Still, weird huh?

--
..NET: It's About Trust!
http://vfred.mvps.org

From: Mayayana on
| Still, weird huh?

I've been seeing a number of posts responding to
originals that I can't see -- for the past few days,
in more than 1 group. But I've also seen things
dropping off in general. I visit about 8 groups daily.
They're all getting slower. This and the VB.Net group,
which I "audit", are the the only ones that always have
at least some discussion every day.
Others seem to continue to wither: VBS, WSH, MSI,
WMI, shell, vb.winapi.
Maybe everyone's at Facebook. Programming is
just so 20th century.

From: Paul Clement on
On Wed, 14 Apr 2010 14:46:08 -0700, Karl E. Peterson <karl(a)exmvps.org> wrote:

� Seems unusually dead here today. Heard rumors of server issues, and
� this group certainly fits that pattern...?

Everyone is downloading Visual Basic Express Edition 2010 and Visual Studio 2010. ;-)

Paul
~~~~
Microsoft MVP (Visual Basic)
From: C. Kevin Provance on
Things look okay from Florida. :-)

--
2025
If you do not believe in time travel,

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=43606237254
"Karl E. Peterson" <karl(a)exmvps.org> wrote in message news:en67lvB3KHA.4336(a)TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl...
: Seems unusually dead here today. Heard rumors of server issues, and
: this group certainly fits that pattern...?
:
: --
: .NET: It's About Trust!
: http://vfred.mvps.org
:
:
From: Mayayana on
| � Seems unusually dead here today. Heard rumors of server issues, and
| � this group certainly fits that pattern...?
|
| Everyone is downloading Visual Basic Express Edition 2010 and Visual
Studio 2010. ;-)

Funny you should mention that. There was an article
about it at the Register and I went for a look-see.
I didn't know that I'd have to get a Windows Live ID
and "register" with that to use Express. So it's free but
not free of a mark-of-the-Beast tracking collar.

(I'm surprised "Live ID" is still kicking around. That's
just rehashed Passport. Where do people use it? Is
Mr. Ballmer actually making his chiropractor appointments
on his SPOT watch with his Live ID?)

And did you know that the runtime is now approaching
1/2 GB? The download is about 200MB. (The contents,
comprising dozens of MSIs, were too much of a mess to
dissect. So I'm just making a conservative guesstimate
that if I installed that slop it would probably take up
about 500 MB.)

I think the bloat of .Net has reached a point where it
really should be thought of as a mini-OS in itself.
Humorously, one of the "attractive features" that reviewers
are praising for VS2010 is that one can target .Net v. 2.
So it seems the version of .Net that people are now
stuck using is almost as old as VB....unless they can talk
their customers into downloading a mini-OS. :)