From: Tom Shelton on
On 2010-04-16, Karl E Peterson <karl(a)exmvps.org> wrote:
> Tom Shelton wrote:

>>> Those must be loonies! <g>
>>>
>>> Seriously, for real? I'm not sure I've seen that good a deal. I am
>>> getting very frustrated, too, that the "normal" aspect LCDs are being
>>> phased out quicker than Obama bumperstickers at a Tea Party. I really
>>> don't care for the wide-aspect at all.
>>
>> I don't like the wide-aspect on the smaller lcd's - but, when you go 20" and
>> above, well then it get's nice.
>
> I've seen SxS 19s, and didn't care much for that. Maybe at 22 or 23???
> I dunno. Would like to try it, I suppose.

SxS 19's are too small. But, like I said - I like it on my 22's. I wouldn't
mind going a bit bigger though :)

>> I like the dual 22"'s. In fact, thinking
>> about getting a 3rd.
>
> Wow, not many cards would support that, would they? Might be nice,
> though. :-)

I'd have to drop in a second card or get a usb video adapter...

--
Tom Shelton
From: Tom Shelton on
On 2010-04-16, Karl E Peterson <karl(a)exmvps.org> wrote:
> Tony Toews [MVP] wrote:

>>> Those must be loonies! <g>
>>>
>>> Seriously, for real?
>>
>> Best Buy has some 23" monitors for $200. I'm not a gamer so I don't
>> care about the higher priced features.
>>
>> (My favourite game, which I haven't played for a year or two, is
>> Command and Conquer - Red Alert. Which comes in a DOS and a Win 95
>> version.)
>
> I can't even recall the last game I played. Probably on Win95? I
> remember the Chex Quest thing that came with a box of cereal was a HUGE
> HIT at our house for a few years. I think it was a Doom spinoff.
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chex_Quest

LOL... Yep. I think we still have that here. It was definately the doom2
engine. I remember on one level, those flamming screaching skulls would come
at you....

I used to have tools for making custom levels for doom2 and you could do
texture/sound/sprite replacements. It used to be a lot of fun..

--
Tom Shelton
From: Tony Toews [MVP] on
Karl E. Peterson <karl(a)exmvps.org> wrote:

>Nice! I guess I just haven't shopped in that size range enough to have
>been aware they were getting there.

I've been looking at the 26" but can't quite justify them in my mind.

>> I'm being somewhat silly but somewhat seriously thinking of hookup up
>> 3 * 24" monitors to the laptop but all three would be in portrait
>> mode.
>
>Heheheh... That could be fun!

Ayup. Screen and misc stuff on the left hand monitor. Code window
spanning the middle and right hand monitor. I should be able to see
almost twice as much code vertically as I currently do.

1152 wide by 2048 tall vs the other way around is almost 2 to 1.

Tony
--
Tony Toews, Microsoft Access MVP
From: Helmut Meukel on
"Tony Toews [MVP]" <ttoews(a)telusplanet.net> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
> "Tony Toews [MVP]" <ttoews(a)telusplanet.net> wrote:
>
>>I'm being somewhat silly but somewhat seriously thinking of hookup up
>>3 * 24" monitors to the laptop but all three would be in portrait
>>mode.
>
> So far I've only one USB > VGA monitor capable of going to 2048 by
> 1152 resolution.
> http://www.targus.com/us/product_details.aspx?sku=ACP51USZ
> The others aren't quite good enough for the 23"/24" standard
> resolution.
>
> Note that I always work on a laptop so I can conveniently work at my
> clients or otherwise.
>
> Tony
> --

Hi,

I saw today an ad for the 22" Samsung SyncMaster LD220 "Lapfit" display.
Full HD res. 1920x1080, UbiSync.
Up to 6 displays connected to one USB port. Integrated 2-port USB hub.
Priced 179.- Euro.

I've problems to visualize a laptop with 6 additional displays all sitting on
my writing-table. <vbg>

Helmut.

From: Nobody on
"Karl E. Peterson" <karl(a)exmvps.org> wrote in message
> I am getting very frustrated, too, that the "normal" aspect LCDs are being
> phased out

The main advantage of wide screen format is that it makes it easy to see two
applications side by side, or two PDF pages, but the resolution has to be
high, like 1600+ pixels width, so each page or application is 800+ pixels
wide.