From: GS on
Mayayana formulated the question :
>> Have you tried running at 120 dpi or higher?
>>

> I guess I could do that, but I prefer not to
> get into unnecessary customizing. And I
> imagine there'd be the odd program that
> ends up having snipped button text and such.

<FWIW>
I used to get button/label text clipped when my dev machine was 96dpi
and apps ran on 120dpi machines. Since I switched to 120dpi on my dev
machine I no longer get clipped text, even on 96dpi machines.
--
Garry

From: Mike Williams on
"Karl E. Peterson" <karl(a)exmvps.org> wrote in message

> Well, when you start going there, I too can say I've been
> looking at the 42" jobs. For the living room! Heh, I really
> need something I can plug a laptop into, to watch movies
> and hulu and so on, on occassion.

What really annoys me about all this is the lack of standards, or rather the
lack of one sensible standard. There are standards alright, about half a
dozen or more of them, and everyone is following a different one, even for
their wide screen formats. The aspect ratio of some wide screen PC monitors
on sale today is 16 : 10 with other monitors (and many TV sets) being 16 : 9
whilst most movies on DVD and BlueRay have aspects ratios of anything up to
16 : 7 or wider!

Mike

From: Mike Williams on
"Mayayana" <mayayana(a)invalid.nospam> wrote in message

> > Have you tried running at 120 dpi or higher?
> >
> I guess I could do that, but I prefer not to
> get into unnecessary customizing. And I
> imagine there'd be the odd program that
> ends up having snipped button text and such.

Yes there probably will be, but machines that run at 120 dpi or higher,
which were at one time quite rare, are becoming more and more common these
days as the pixel density of modern displays becomes higher and higher
whilst at the same time the increasing average age of computer users means
that more and more of them have less than perfect eyesight. So it is
becoming more and more important to make sure that your programs work well
at such settings as well as at the more standard 96 dpi setting, and
switching to 120 dpi for a while can sometimes be very useful, as well as
less straining on the old eyes ;-)

Mike

From: ralph on
On Fri, 16 Apr 2010 13:17:14 -0400, GS <GS(a)discussions.microsoft.com>
wrote:

>Hi Ralph,
>You're right! I'm not a gamer. I'm also retired from my own business
>where I never had time 'at work' to waste on such things.

"waste"?????

-ralph
From: ralph on
On Fri, 16 Apr 2010 19:58:38 +0100, "Mike Williams"
<Mike(a)WhiskyAndCoke.com> wrote:

>"Karl E. Peterson" <karl(a)exmvps.org> wrote in message
>
>> Well, when you start going there, I too can say I've been
>> looking at the 42" jobs. For the living room! Heh, I really
>> need something I can plug a laptop into, to watch movies
>> and hulu and so on, on occassion.
>
>What really annoys me about all this is the lack of standards, or rather the
>lack of one sensible standard. There are standards alright, about half a
>dozen or more of them, and everyone is following a different one, even for
>their wide screen formats. The aspect ratio of some wide screen PC monitors
>on sale today is 16 : 10 with other monitors (and many TV sets) being 16 : 9
>whilst most movies on DVD and BlueRay have aspects ratios of anything up to
>16 : 7 or wider!

Not a problem over here - whatever Wal-Mart has on sale is usually
what we go with.

-ralph
<g>