From: Shenan Stanley on

JimL wrote:
> You are free to assume that I've spent at least an hour and maybe
> several trying to find an answer before I ask people who already
> know and have probably known for years but don't want to tell.
>
> You are also free to assume that I'm very bad at guessing how to
> Google something I know nothing about. Some people seem to have
> the knack.
> And you may assume that "go to Google and figure it out for
> yourself" is actually beyond some people for reasons brilliant
> people with normal to excellent memories and normal to excelllent
> inate multitasking abilities seem never, ever to comprehend. (Some
> people just can't put together or remember page after page of
> written technicallities. But smart people aren't smart enough to
> figure that out.) And that rather than comprehend not being a
> genius they would rather chew on a questioner every time they ask a
> question that doesn't suit them.
> Frankly, I don't understand why so many people who know things and
> who populate information disemmination media would apparently
> rather be boiled in oil than make it easy for someone who is
> struggling. In essence they say, "If you aren't as smart as me
> you're lazy," one of the most arrogant (and prevalent) mindsets on
> the internet. If they don't like explaining things nobody is
> forcing them to come here and complain about explaining things.
>
> Since I lost so much of my abilities so suddenly I've learned a lot
> about the geniuses who were smarter than me to start with.

Quite the tirade on your part...

I gave the "How to google" instructions link and the answer. I am not sure
why you would have an issue with that.

"Here's how to fish; oh, and here's the fish you wanted."

Please - tell me how that is offensive. ;-)

My assumption is more along the lines of, "Someone may not know how to do
something or at least not how to do something well - but they may learn how
to do things better if pointed to some basic instructions and given examples
of what they can do once they learn."

P.S. - My short-term memory is horrid. This is *why* I learned to use
Google as well as possible. Always learning new tricks (like the hyphen
(minus sign, "-") to eliminate unwanted hits - somewhat, it isn't 100% sure.
Like if you want to look for the Jaguar but not the car or football team...
jaguar -car -football) and using them when appropriate.

"You'll never learn any younger than you are right now." and "When I can no
longer learn, I am dead." are two things someone told me long ago and I find
to be sage advice that keeps me sane.

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP

From: Ol�rin on

"JimL" <invalid(a)invalid.inv> wrote in message
> "Shenan Stanley" <newshelper(a)gmail.com> wrote in message
>> JimL wrote:
>
>> Essentially - if you don't want people to assume - don't leave the
>> opening.
>
> You are free to assume that I've spent at least an hour and maybe several
> trying to find an answer before I ask people who already know and have
> probably known for years but don't want to tell.
>
> You are also free to assume that I'm very bad at guessing how to Google
> something I know nothing about. Some people seem to have the knack.
>
> And you may assume that "go to Google and figure it out for yourself" is
> actually beyond some people for reasons brilliant people with normal to
> excellent memories and normal to excelllent inate multitasking abilities
> seem never, ever to comprehend. (Some people just can't put together or
> remember page after page of written technicallities. But smart people
> aren't smart enough to figure that out.) And that rather than comprehend
> not being a genius they would rather chew on a questioner every time they
> ask a question that doesn't suit them.
>
> Frankly, I don't understand why so many people who know things and who
> populate information disemmination media would apparently rather be boiled
> in oil than make it easy for someone who is struggling. In essence they
> say, "If you aren't as smart as me you're lazy," one of the most arrogant
> (and prevalent) mindsets on the internet. If they don't like explaining
> things nobody is forcing them to come here and complain about explaining
> things.
>
> Since I lost so much of my abilities so suddenly I've learned a lot about
> the geniuses who were smarter than me to start with.
>
> --
> For most of us the most danger is most politicians.
>
> JimL

You asked a question and didn't bother stating up front what you'd already
looked for and tried. Shenan stepped in with nothing but courteous and
spot-on answers, going beyond that and also helping you "how to fish"
(better). Why the rant? And in all that, you haven't even had the courtesy
yourself to thank him as far as I can see. It's beyond me.

From: JimL on
"Ol�rin" <incanus(a)erkljrjre890aeraekj4na.com> wrote in message

> "JimL" <invalid(a)invalid.inv> wrote in message
>> "Shenan Stanley" <newshelper(a)gmail.com> wrote in message
>>> JimL wrote:
>>
>>> Essentially - if you don't want people to assume - don't leave the
>>> opening.
>>
>> You are free to assume that I've spent at least an hour and maybe several
>> trying to find an answer before I ask people who already know and have
>> probably known for years but don't want to tell.
>>
>> You are also free to assume that I'm very bad at guessing how to Google
>> something I know nothing about. Some people seem to have the knack.
>>
>> And you may assume that "go to Google and figure it out for yourself" is
>> actually beyond some people for reasons brilliant people with normal to
>> excellent memories and normal to excelllent inate multitasking abilities
>> seem never, ever to comprehend. (Some people just can't put together or
>> remember page after page of written technicallities. But smart people
>> aren't smart enough to figure that out.) And that rather than comprehend
>> not being a genius they would rather chew on a questioner every time they
>> ask a question that doesn't suit them.
>>
>> Frankly, I don't understand why so many people who know things and who
>> populate information disemmination media would apparently rather be
>> boiled in oil than make it easy for someone who is struggling. In
>> essence they say, "If you aren't as smart as me you're lazy," one of the
>> most arrogant (and prevalent) mindsets on the internet. If they don't
>> like explaining things nobody is forcing them to come here and complain
>> about explaining things.
>>
>> Since I lost so much of my abilities so suddenly I've learned a lot about
>> the geniuses who were smarter than me to start with.
>>
>> --
>> For most of us the most danger is most politicians.
>>
>> JimL
>>

> You asked a question and didn't bother stating up front what you'd already
> looked for and tried. Shenan stepped in with nothing but courteous and
> spot-on answers, going beyond that and also helping you "how to fish"
> (better). Why the rant? And in all that, you haven't even had the courtesy
> yourself to thank him as far as I can see. It's beyond me.

I've thanked him many times for many things. I did not thank him for
assuming I am lazy.

From: JimL on

> "You'll never learn any younger than you are right now." and "When I can
> no longer learn, I am dead." are two things someone told me long ago and I
> find to be sage advice that keeps me sane.

Thanks for reminding me of what I forgot.

Know that your memory experience may or may not apply to me or anybody else.
I learn every day. I've done memory exercises every day for years, but as
Dirty Harry said, "A man's gotta know his limitations." I would add to
that, "A man's gotta know his strengths." My memory was taken abruptly 23
years ago and I've had plenty of time to know my limitations and my
stengths.

Your insistence that I must be able to do what you do is still calling me
lazy. I am not and saying so is not out of order.

From: Twayne on
In news:OcyEuBkgKHA.6096(a)TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl,
Ol�rin <incanus(a)erkljrjre890aeraekj4na.com> typed:
> "JimL" <invalid(a)invalid.inv> wrote in message
>> "Shenan Stanley" <newshelper(a)gmail.com> wrote in message
>>> JimL wrote:
>>
>>> Essentially - if you don't want people to assume - don't leave the
>>> opening.
>>
>> You are free to assume that I've spent at least an hour and maybe
>> several trying to find an answer before I ask people who already
>> know and have probably known for years but don't want to tell.
>>
>> You are also free to assume that I'm very bad at guessing how to
>> Google something I know nothing about. Some people seem to have the
>> knack. And you may assume that "go to Google and figure it out for
>> yourself" is actually beyond some people for reasons brilliant
>> people with normal to excellent memories and normal to excelllent
>> inate multitasking abilities seem never, ever to comprehend. (Some
>> people just can't put together or remember page after page of
>> written technicallities. But smart people aren't smart enough to
>> figure that out.) And that rather than comprehend not being a
>> genius they would rather chew on a questioner every time they ask a
>> question that doesn't suit them. Frankly, I don't understand why so many
>> people who know things and
>> who populate information disemmination media would apparently rather
>> be boiled in oil than make it easy for someone who is struggling. In
>> essence they say, "If you aren't as smart as me you're lazy," one
>> of the most arrogant (and prevalent) mindsets on the internet. If
>> they don't like explaining things nobody is forcing them to come
>> here and complain about explaining things.
>>
>> Since I lost so much of my abilities so suddenly I've learned a lot
>> about the geniuses who were smarter than me to start with.
>>
>> --
>> For most of us the most danger is most politicians.
>>
>> JimL
>>

> You asked a question and didn't bother stating up front what you'd
> already looked for and tried. Shenan stepped in with nothing but
> courteous and spot-on answers, going beyond that and also helping you
> "how to fish" (better). Why the rant? And in all that, you haven't
> even had the courtesy yourself to thank him as far as I can see. It's
> beyond me.

Nice snippage there (NOT)! You and a few others here need to stop being so
condescending and grow some interpersonal skills and be more accepting of
those who are as yet inexperienced on the newsgroups. It's not that hard to
ask a few questions about their situations and explain very briefly why
you're asking them. It's not helping anyone when you take on the tone of a
parent talking to a kid they consider stupid.

There is always time to be polite and agreeable, especially to the
inexperienced.

Twayne`

Live in the moment;
be open to the possibilities