From: JimL on
XP Pro SP3, updated much

A long time ago I set up my boot-up login to automatically skip the manual
login. A couple days ago it went back to requiring manual login. Now I
can't find where to set it to automatic again.

Anybody know where this is?

--
For most of us the most danger is most politicians.

JimL

From: Shenan Stanley on
JimL wrote:
> XP Pro SP3, updated much
>
> A long time ago I set up my boot-up login to automatically skip the
> manual login. A couple days ago it went back to requiring manual
> login. Now I can't find where to set it to automatic again.
>
> Anybody know where this is?

Now is a great time to point you to one of the easiest ways to find
information on problems you may be having and solutions others have found:

Search using Google!
http://www.google.com/
(How-to: http://www.google.com/intl/en/help/basics.html )

Automatic Logons:
------
Microsoft method:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/315231
(Essentially the same... but different place:
http://www.pctools.com/guides/registry/detail/13/ )

Microsoft Method 2:
TweakUI from:

control userpasswords2 method:
1) Go to the Start Menu and the Run box.
2) Type in the following:

control userpasswords2

now click OK
3) In the new Windows that appears select the account you wish to make the
primary logon.
Now uncheck the "Users must enter a username and password..." box.
4) Hit Apply and a dialog box will appear asking you to confirm the selected
users password.
Click OK when you are done...
------

Hopefully that gets you where you are wanting to be.

It is a *good* thing in the user arena to:
1) Have strong passwords.
2) Have more than one administrator level account (with strong passwords).

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP

From: JimL on
"Shenan Stanley" <newshelper(a)gmail.com> wrote in message

> Now is a great time to point you to one of the easiest ways to find
> information on problems you may be having and solutions others have found:
>
> Search using Google!

Interesting that people always assume that no one who asks questions ever
uses google before asking. I found the registry method, but none of the
hits I got said anything about TweakUI. I must have used TweakUI earlier,
but I don't remember if I did or not. It is terrible to ask people things
you have forgotten.

From: Shenan Stanley on

JimL wrote:
> Interesting that people always assume that no one who asks
> questions ever uses google before asking. I found the registry
> method, but none of the hits I got said anything about TweakUI. I
> must have used TweakUI earlier, but I don't remember if I did or
> not. It is terrible to ask people things you have forgotten.

Interesting that people seldom bother to add to their query any details on
what they have tried in order to resolve their own issue and then wonder why
people assume what they have/have not done. ;-)

Essentially - if you don't want people to assume - don't leave the opening.
I gave you the way to search as well as several different methods that are
well documented and work given what you have (Windows XP SP3.)

Also - it's not that I assume you have not Googled - it's that I assume you
may have not done it as effectively as you could have. For example - in
your situation I would have googled for:

Automatic Logon "Windows XP"
http://www.google.com/search?q=Automatic+Logon+"Windows+XP"

Or a Google Groups search for the same:
http://groups.google.com/groups/search?q=Automatic+Logon+%22Windows+XP%22

Either would lead you to:
http://windowsxp.mvps.org/Autologon.htm

Fairly quickly.

Googling is a skill. The web page I send you to is a fine tutorial on *how*
to properly use Google to search for things. ;-)

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP

From: JimL on
> JimL wrote:

> Essentially - if you don't want people to assume - don't leave the
> opening.

You are free to assume that I've spent at least an hour and maybe several
trying to find an answer before I ask people who already know and have
probably known for years but don't want to tell.

You are also free to assume that I'm very bad at guessing how to Google
something I know nothing about. Some people seem to have the knack.

And you may assume that "go to Google and figure it out for yourself" is
actually beyond some people for reasons brilliant people with normal to
excellent memories and normal to excelllent inate multitasking abilities
seem never, ever to comprehend. (Some people just can't put together or
remember page after page of written technicallities. But smart people
aren't smart enough to figure that out.) And that rather than comprehend
not being a genius they would rather chew on a questioner every time they
ask a question that doesn't suit them.

Frankly, I don't understand why so many people who know things and who
populate information disemmination media would apparently rather be boiled
in oil than make it easy for someone who is struggling. In essence they
say, "If you aren't as smart as me you're lazy," one of the most arrogant
(and prevalent) mindsets on the internet. If they don't like explaining
things nobody is forcing them to come here and complain about explaining
things.

Since I lost so much of my abilities so suddenly I've learned a lot about
the geniuses who were smarter than me to start with.