From: Twayne on
In news:hgo381$ob6$1(a)news.eternal-september.org,
JimL <invalid(a)invalid.inv> typed:
> "Shenan Stanley" <newshelper(a)gmail.com> wrote in message
>
>> "You'll never learn any younger than you are right now." and "When I
>> can no longer learn, I am dead." are two things someone told me long
>> ago and I find to be sage advice that keeps me sane.
>

> Thanks for reminding me of what I forgot.
>
> Know that your memory experience may or may not apply to me or
> anybody else. I learn every day. I've done memory exercises every
> day for years, but as Dirty Harry said, "A man's gotta know his
> limitations." I would add to that, "A man's gotta know his
> strengths." My memory was taken abruptly 23 years ago and I've had
> plenty of time to know my limitations and my stengths.
>
> Your insistence that I must be able to do what you do is still
> calling me lazy. I am not and saying so is not out of order.

Good call, Jim. In my case it was ten years ago last April 15 and I guess
I've recovered about as far as I'm going to. I managed to get past being
learning-disabled but the memory retrieval issues are permanent, it seems.
What I knew I still knew, but new things came really hard for quite awhile
those first 5 years. The computer was instrumental in my retraining.

Some of these guys just have big egoes and fit the mold for egotist very
well. Actually I tend to excuse them unless they start using words that
would make the originator feel stupid or were put-downs as so many do.
There's at least one other here who once said he was so busy keeping up with
answering queries that he had no time to be polite or wordy in any way.
Well, no one is forcing anyone to answer any questions here and if they have
to be that way, perhaps they're burned out and need to go on holiday or cut
it down to just a few responses a day.
Personally, IFF their post contains a useful response, egoes aside, I'm
pretty much satisfied, too. After all, that's what we're all here for. But
when, as is going on right now, their "need" is simply to increase their
number of responses so their MVP status will be renewed or whatever other
reason there might be, and there isn't even a hint of a response and no
interpersonal skills of any kind, I usually write them off.
Further, everyone has a bad day now and then; the "walk a mile ... "
thing. With your problems you should easily understand that, as I do.
Often, people having a bad day shouldn't be bothering to post yet but human
nature doesn't always point that out to a person and they go ahead and do it
anyway. You often never know what's behind a person's attitude that makes
them seem the way they are.

I applaud you for your stand and agree with you. Shenan isn't one of the
worst by far and often does provide informative responses. He/she does
often seem to have that "rush" syndrome though, and a diregard for
interpersonal skills at times when it's needed but I still read his posts
when the subject interests me.

And finally IMO you have people like me: I say what I mean and mean what I
say, but it very seldom includes Shenan but some others here. Women don't
ask me is a piece of clothing makes their butt look big because they're
going to get an honest answer<g>. But I don't volunteer a response if they
haven't asked for it. Tact is always necessary for good relationships.

In the end, what it all means is, put on a thicker skin on the usenet groups
because they're not moderated and pretty much, anyone can say anything they
want to. I'd tend to answer the questions that were asked, just in case it
got me anything useful, but not converse much after that unless some useful
information was coming forth. That's because I know from experience that
Shenan is a prolific responder and obviously knows about the issue, most of
the time.
It's easy enough to cover off the condescension, if you feel you must, with
a short comment or two about how wrong the assumptions were. But that can
cause other people to jump in and suddenly you've started a flame war.
There are some who will pose purposely vague questions for the specific
purpose of initiating flame wars; I call them trolls.

Although poorly phrased, I think Shenan's questions were good ones and
some were questions I'd have asked myself. It's handy to know what you've
already done so time doesn't get wasted to post a suggestion and get back
and "I already did that" series of mails. The OS and version numbers of
course are always important to know. And so on.

Regards,

Twayne

Live in the moment;
be open to the possibilities
that life has to offer.

From: Shenan Stanley on
<snip>

JimL wrote:
> Your insistence that I must be able to do what you do is still
> calling me lazy. I am not and saying so is not out of order.

Incorrect - I did not assume laziness.

I gave you a method to improve your skills, one that could be referred to at
any point of time, linked to so memory was not necessary. It was not a 'use
google' response - it was a 'perhaps in the future you can use google and
utilize the tips and tricks here' response.

I would say my insistence that you could learn should be a compliment - not
any sort of disrespect.

I guess it's a glass half empty/glass half full thing. ;-)

So be it.
</end>

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP

From: JD on
Shenan Stanley wrote:

> snip <

I find your replies to be informative and helpful. I've learned a lot
from you about my operating system and related problems I've had with it.

Thank you!

--
JD..
From: Shenan Stanley on
JD wrote:
> Shenan Stanley wrote:
> snip <
>
> I find your replies to be informative and helpful. I've learned a
> lot from you about my operating system and related problems I've
> had with it.
> Thank you!

*grin*

You are welcome/Thank you!

I know I can be long-winded at times (some would say all the time) and
perhaps it is because of that some people believe (mistakenly) I am speaking
down to them. Perhaps I offer too much in the way of 'assistance' - some of
which they may not have asked for - in the form of, "By the way - this is
how I have come by the information I am giving you. Perhaps you too can
come by such information in the future in this way or a similar way..."
expanded answers. Some take it as I am telling them, "See how easy this
was?" - I suppose.

I am not. I am just offering my experience and knowledge to anyone and
everyone. In fact - I try to garner my responses to everyone. Many of them
*do* get repeated over and over and while I could have a web page I just
link to - I would rather repeat them over and over in hopes they get
replicated over and over in hopes they get crawled/noted by search engines,
reviewed by peers, corrected by people wiser than myself and help people
other than just the original person/people I was responding to. I try to
word things in ways I have seen others understand in the past, change things
as I go along due to suggestions I have gotten or specific questions to my
accessible to a broader audience.

But yes, in any case... long-winded. ;-)

*shrug*

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP

From: JD on
Shenan Stanley wrote:
> JD wrote:
>> Shenan Stanley wrote:
>> snip<
>>
>> I find your replies to be informative and helpful. I've learned a
>> lot from you about my operating system and related problems I've
>> had with it.
>> Thank you!
>
> *grin*
>
> You are welcome/Thank you!
>
> I know I can be long-winded at times (some would say all the time) and
> perhaps it is because of that some people believe (mistakenly) I am speaking
> down to them. Perhaps I offer too much in the way of 'assistance' - some of
> which they may not have asked for - in the form of, "By the way - this is
> how I have come by the information I am giving you. Perhaps you too can
> come by such information in the future in this way or a similar way..."
> expanded answers. Some take it as I am telling them, "See how easy this
> was?" - I suppose.
>
> I am not. I am just offering my experience and knowledge to anyone and
> everyone. In fact - I try to garner my responses to everyone. Many of them
> *do* get repeated over and over and while I could have a web page I just
> link to - I would rather repeat them over and over in hopes they get
> replicated over and over in hopes they get crawled/noted by search engines,
> reviewed by peers, corrected by people wiser than myself and help people
> other than just the original person/people I was responding to. I try to
> word things in ways I have seen others understand in the past, change things
> as I go along due to suggestions I have gotten or specific questions to my
> accessible to a broader audience.
>
> But yes, in any case... long-winded. ;-)
>
> *shrug*

I already understood. And yeah, you're maybe a little long winded. ;-)

The beauty of a newsgroup is nobody has to ask questions and nobody has
to read replies. We're all here for a reason and you don't have to
qualify yourself, your replies do that for you!

--
JD..