From: Beauregard T. Shagnasty on
~BD~ wrote:

> TRT said

Stop calling him "TRT". He is the exact opposite of the real truth.

Have you bothered to do this?
http://www.google.com/search?q=pcbutts1+software+thief

<quote>
From: David H. Lipman on
From: "FromTheRafters" <erratic(a)nomail.afraid.org>

| "~BD~" <BoaterDave(a)hotmail.co.uk> wrote in message

>> Maybe David Kaye has not used the very latest virus *update*. I don't
>> know, but something is odd if TRT's Avast! does catch the rogue file
>> yet David's doesn't!

| It is possible for a trojan to drop a file named ave.exe that is for all
| practical purposes unique to that system. The filename means nothing.
| The thing that should be detected is the dropper itself - if you don't
| install it, you don't have to identify and remove it.

Yes. In fact a web site can offer up different MD5 valued files for something as
different as the User-Agent.

--
Dave

From: Ant on
"David Kaye" wrote:

> "FromTheRafters" wrote:
>>Were you running as administrator at the time of the "attack"?
>
> Running XP Pro with a default user with admin privileges.

That's not very secure.

>>It is possible, while browsing to a legitimate site, to get redirected
>>to a site that launches several browser exploits aimed at executing a
>>rogue application on your machine.
>
> Using OpenDNS as the DNS. Using Windows Firewall and Avast.

They won't stop the exploit of a software vulnerability.

> I checked
> filedates in various directories and didn't see much other than ave.exe and
> its entries in the registry.

Once malware gets in it often changes date stamps to match one of the
system files.

> It was actually fairly simple to get rid of,
> having dealt with it before on customer machines.

Since you appear to do this for a living you ought to know about
securing your machine.

> What's eating me is that the program launched with a window that was clearly
> detectable in Task Manager as ave.exe,

So did you kill it from task manager?

> and yet while Avast was running it simply didn't see the program.

You can't rely on AV apps to protect a machine - they are a last ditch
resort. None of them can detect everything because malware is re-
packaged every day to avoid detection. The AV vendors are always
trying to catch up.

You didn't say which browser was involved. Is it up-to-date? What
plugins and other applicatiuons are used as helpers to view embedded
content and are they sercurely configured and up-to-date? Think about
Java (not javascript), PDF and Flash viewers, ActiveX components and
other media players. Do you allow them to run automatically?

From: FromTheRafters on
"David Kaye" <sfdavidkaye2(a)yahoo.com> wrote in message
> "The Real Truth MVP" <trt(a)void.com> wrote:
>
>>Avast is an antivirus application not an antimalware application. That
>>said
>>the latest version is 5 do you have that version, mine detects it.
>
> Avast is an anti-malware app. It is extremely good otherwise at
> detecting
> problems. To say that it is solely anti-virus indicates that you
> don't know
> what a virus is.

Avast! is an antivirus application. It has some antimalware/antispyware
capabilities also.

From: Dustin Cook on
~BD~ <BoaterDave(a)hotmail.co.uk> wrote in

> gufus wrote:
>> Hello, David!
>>
>> You wrote on Sat, 03 Apr 2010 22:28:50 GMT:
>>
>> | For the record "the lastest version" means exactly that, 5.0.462.
>> | I'm wondering what part of "latest version" people don't
>> | understand.
>>
>> What version?
>>

> Avast!
>
> TRT said "he also only posted the program version number not virus
> definition version which is 100403-1"

http://tekrider.net/usenet/pcbutts.php

Anything to say? :)

--
"Hrrngh! Someday I'm going to hurl this...er...roll this...hrrngh.. nudge
this boulder right down a cliff." - Goblin Warrior