From: Grant Taylor on
Ansgar -59cobalt- Wiechers wrote:
> Actually, no. It's a rather stupid question. A good question would
> be: why would anyone in his right mind insist on HAVING a sofware
> firewall on a server?

I would say that part of the problem is the "insistence" of having (or
not) a software firewall, with no possibility of the other.

I will argue that a software firewall is just another form of security.
(I'm not going to debate how good of a form of security it may or may
not be.) Like most good over all security systems, security is provided
in layers of multiple smaller forms of security. With this in mind, the
software firewall on a server (or any thing for that matter) is another
layer of security. Thus if the server has the resources to run the
software firewall and it is not a detriment to the function of the
system, then it's probably ok to have it there. If the server does not
have the resources to run the software firewall or if it is a detriment
to the function of the system, then don't run the firewall unless you
really need to. In short, it is situational dependent.

> Open ports on a server need to be open, because otherwise the server
> would be unable to provide its services (which would render it rather
> futile). You cannot block access to ports that need to be accessible.

There are some advantages to running a firewall even on ports that you
need to have open. Some services don't have any ability to filter what
IP addresses are allowed to talk to them. Or there are some cases where
it is appropriate to centrally manage a firewall across multiple systems
rather than having to manage each service on every system.

I think it really comes down to where does a software firewall fall in
your over all security scheme. If you feel your organization can
benefit from it, then use one. If you feel a software firewall is not
appropriate for your organization, then don't use one.

I personally view software firewalls as an additional line of defense to
protect against outbreaks behind the edge hardware firewalls.

Grant. . . .
From: gufus on
Hello, Grant!

You wrote on Sun, 11 Apr 2010 12:51:03 -0500:

| I think it really comes down to where does a software firewall fall in
| your over all security scheme. If you feel your organization can
| benefit from it, then use one. If you feel a software firewall is not
| appropriate for your organization, then don't use one.
|
| I personally view software firewalls as an additional line of defense to
| protect against outbreaks behind the edge hardware firewalls.

Excellent policy IMHO

--
With best regards, gufus. E-mail: stop.nospam.gbbsg(a)shaw.ca

From: gufus on
Hello, Ansgar!

You wrote on 11 Apr 2010 12:46:15 GMT:

FL> >> i have heard that recommendation many times and do not dispute it,
FL> >> but assuming that the s/w firewall comes up first during boot up,
FL> >> WHY would you insist on not having a s/w firewall on a server?
FL>>
FL>> Good question.
|
| Actually, no. It's a rather stupid question.

Hu.. :(

--
With best regards, gufus. E-mail: stop.nospam.gbbsg(a)shaw.ca

From: gufus on
Hello, schtebo!

You wrote on Thu, 8 Apr 2010 04:50:02 -0700 (PDT):

| I think default Firewall from Microsoft should do it for us all.

Taking notes... <grin>
--
With best regards, gufus. E-mail: stop.nospam.gbbsg(a)shaw.ca

From: Ansgar -59cobalt- Wiechers on
Grant Taylor <gtaylor(a)riverviewtech.net> wrote:
> Ansgar -59cobalt- Wiechers wrote:
>> Actually, no. It's a rather stupid question. A good question would
>> be: why would anyone in his right mind insist on HAVING a sofware
>> firewall on a server?
>
> I would say that part of the problem is the "insistence" of having (or
> not) a software firewall, with no possibility of the other.
>
> I will argue that a software firewall is just another form of
> security. (I'm not going to debate how good of a form of security it
> may or may not be.) Like most good over all security systems,
> security is provided in layers of multiple smaller forms of security.
> With this in mind, the software firewall on a server (or any thing for
> that matter) is another layer of security.

Oh *please*, spare me that "layers" bullshit.

Personal firewalls do not increase the security of a server. They
increase the attack surface (larger codebase, thus most likely more
vulnerabilities) and the overall complexity of the system, and thus
actually *lower* your security.

[...]
>> Open ports on a server need to be open, because otherwise the server
>> would be unable to provide its services (which would render it rather
>> futile). You cannot block access to ports that need to be accessible.
>
> There are some advantages to running a firewall even on ports that you
> need to have open. Some services don't have any ability to filter
> what IP addresses are allowed to talk to them.

That's what you already filter at the network boundary. No need to
filter yet again on the server.

> Or there are some cases where it is appropriate to centrally manage a
> firewall across multiple systems rather than having to manage each
> service on every system.

And managing firewalls centrally instead of managing services centrally
is more appropriate, how?

> I think it really comes down to where does a software firewall fall in
> your over all security scheme.

They don't. Period.

cu
59cobalt