From: gufus on
Hi Ansgar,

12 Apr 10, Ansgar -59cobalt- Wiechers writes to Gypsy BBS:

> From: usenet-2010(a)planetcobalt.net

> Wrong. Running an additional firewall means running
> additional code that can contain additional exploitable

No comment (for now)

> misconfiguration, which in turn may inadvertently
> open attack vectors.

Brief your employees.

> What if? That employee's computer still needs to be able to
> access the server, meaning the server's ports still need to
> be open, meaning that the personal firewall won't help
> anything at all.

Agreed.. anti-viral /should/ be install on the network, obviously stopping this
first.

--
K Klement

Enhance your marketing at http://www.gypsy-designs.com
mailto:info(a)gypsy-designs.com
Gypsy Designs Fax: (403) 242-3221

.... Can I blame my spelling on line noise?
From: Ansgar -59cobalt- Wiechers on
gufus <stop.nospam.gbbsg(a)shaw.ca> wrote:
> 12 Apr 10, Ansgar -59cobalt- Wiechers writes to Gypsy BBS:
>> misconfiguration, which in turn may inadvertently open attack
>> vectors.
>
> Brief your employees.

You failed to understand the issue. The more complex your systems
become, the more likely it's for your employees to make a mistake or
overlook something. You could brief them all day long and still not
prevent this from happening.

cu
59cobalt
--Mark Russinovich
From: gufus on
Hi Ansgar,

12 Apr 10, Ansgar -59cobalt- Wiechers writes to Gypsy BBS:

> make a mistake or overlook something. You could brief them
> all day long and still not prevent this from happening.

Tell me about it... good-bad employees. :(

--
K Klement

Enhance your marketing at http://www.gypsy-designs.com
mailto:info(a)gypsy-designs.com
Gypsy Designs Fax: (403) 242-3221

.... Evangelists do more than lay people.
From: Ansgar -59cobalt- Wiechers on
gufus <stop.nospam.gbbsg(a)shaw.ca> wrote:
> 12 Apr 10, Ansgar -59cobalt- Wiechers writes to Gypsy BBS:
>> make a mistake or overlook something. You could brief them
>> all day long and still not prevent this from happening.
>
> Tell me about it... good-bad employees. :(

You missed the point again. Even the best employees are still human and
*will* make mistakes here and there. Unnecessarily increasing system
complexity will raise the chances of this happening.

cu
59cobalt
--Mark Russinovich
From: gufus on
Hi Ansgar,

12 Apr 10, Ansgar -59cobalt- Wiechers writes to Gypsy BBS:

> You missed the point again. Even the best employees are

I beg to differ. Sir.

Employees /need/ to understand the system, especially when I have MS-DOS
workstation(s), try getting MS-DOS talking to a Win NT server. <grin>

--
K Klement

Enhance your marketing at http://www.gypsy-designs.com
mailto:info(a)gypsy-designs.com
Gypsy Designs Fax: (403) 242-3221

.... Nothing is ever a complete failure; it can always serve as a bad example.