From: Grant Taylor on
gufus wrote:
> Hi Grant,

Hi gufus,

> Hmmmm... sounds like an echo here. <grin>

;-)

> With only basic networking skills, I'm taking notes on you discussion
> with Ansgar, interesting to-say-the least.

Ansgar seems to have a very strong opinion on what we are discussing.
Further, Ansgar is presenting logical points to support his / her
opinion. With no insults going back and forth, I see no reason why it
can't be a productive discussion, even if we ultimately decide to agree
to disagree.

That being said, Ansgar has presented a couple of compelling points:

1) The code of the firewall its self could be a weakness.
2) There is little point in protecting one server from another when
both can be attacked the same way that successfully exploited the first.

Grant. . . .
From: gufus on
Hi Grant,

Wednesday April 14 2010, Grant Taylor writes to Gypsy BBS:

> Ansgar seems to have a very strong opinion on what we are
> discussing. Further, Ansgar is presenting logical points to
> support his / her opinion. With no insults going back and

Nice... yes no insults, I guess with myself he/her didn't like what my opinion
was about this thread, which started about a server having a firewall, but
with that, I do understand, /first/ firewall the network boundary, then if
wanted/needed firewall everything behind it.

> That being said, Ansgar has presented a couple of compelling
> points:
> 1) The code of the firewall its self could be a
> weakness.
> 2) There is little point in protecting one server from
> another when both can be attacked the same way that
> successfully exploited the first.

Good points! Agreed!

Kind Regards.
--
K Klement

Enhance your marketing at http://www.gypsy-designs.com
mailto:info(a)gypsy-designs.com
Gypsy Designs Fax: (403) 242-3221

.... It is annoying to be honest to no purpose.
From: Grant Taylor on
gufus wrote:
> Hi Grant,

*wave*

> Nice... yes no insults, I guess with myself he/her didn't like what
> my opinion was about this thread, which started about a server having
> a firewall, but with that, I do understand, /first/ firewall the
> network boundary, then if wanted/needed firewall everything behind
> it.

A friend and colleague of mine used an analogy to describe the edge
firewall (with lack of internal firewall / layers) that I chuckled at.
I figured that others were over worked like my self and could use a
chuckle, so here it is.

"crunchy shell / soft-gooey center"

> Good points! Agreed!

:)

> Kind Regards.

Likewise.

Grant. . . .
From: gufus on
Hello, Grant!

You wrote on Wed, 14 Apr 2010 21:23:59 -0500:

| chuckle, so here it is.
|
| "crunchy shell / soft-gooey center"

:-)

Good one!

--
With best regards, gufus. E-mail: stop.nospam.gbbsg(a)shaw.ca

From: Grant Taylor on
gufus wrote:
> Hello, Grant!

*wave*

> Good one!

I thought so. That's why I shared it.

Here's my colleagues full comment (with permission):

"""Yes, host-based firewalls are necessary to keep the "crunchy
shell/soft-gooey center" phenomenon from happening in a network. It is
about layers. If an attacker gets beyond a border firewall and there is
nothing keeping them from accessing every machine, the network owner
will wish host-based firewalls would have been in place."""

Again, I think this is more talking about end user workstations than
servers. But I still think it's a good point.

Grant. . . .