From: George Dishman on

"bz" <bz+sp(a)ch100-5.chem.lsu.edu> wrote in message
> "george(a)briar.demon.co.uk" <george(a)briar.demon.co.uk> wrote in
<snip>
>> It would be
>> possible to measure the bandwidth of a laser
>> diode with coherence length in the cm range
>> going through a shutter which was open for say
>> 1 microsecond at a repetition rate of 10 kHz
>> with a photon rate of a few hundred per second.
>
> That would tell us nothing about the length of the photons.
> We can already get single photons by attenuating the beam intensity.
>
> Besides, spectrum analysis is done, every day, on fiber optical lasers.
> We know that for switching speeds used for gigabit data rates, the
> bandwidths needed are consistent with information theory.

Indeed, I was outlining the control experiment.

> We need to push the envelope, so to speak, and see what happens with VERY
> narrow pulses, so narrow that they can only contain a single cycle.

Single cycle might be beyond the technology
but chopping within the coherence length is
achievable.

>> The chances of getting two photons during an
>> opening would be low but the shutter would be
>> open for a time much longer than the "duration"
>> of a single photon.
>>
>> Then change to a shutter open time around 10ps
>> and see if the bandwidth increases. The photon
>> "length" should be 30ps per cm of coherence so
>> selecting only part of the photon should increase
>> the bandwidth if I am right.
>
> Selecting only part of the photon should either (1) produce no output
> or (2) produce a photon with less energy, since part of its energy has
> been absorbed.
>
> (1) is consistent with Einstein. (2) would blow all kinds of holes in
> quantum electro dynamics unless it could be shown to be consistent with
> the compton effect.

(1) A gate of 10ps at 10kHz should allow through
100 photons per billion so the intensity would
be reduced by that factor. The laser intensity
could be increased to partly compensate as long
as the probability of two photons per gate
remains negligible.

(2) My expectation is that the mean photon energy
would not change but the spread would increase.
A coherence length of say 3cm is 100ps or a
bandwidth of 20 GHz (both sidebands). Chopping
it at 10ps would widen that to 200GHz creating
photons with energies farther from the mean if
I am right.

> [aside: when the new superconductor magnet for our new 700 MHz NMR was
> being brought up to field, they had a quench incident that boiled off 2000
> litres of liquid helium in a few seconds. The fog in the air set off the
> fire alarms and cleared the building.]

You guys sure have some fun :-)

George

From: bz on
"George Dishman" <george(a)briar.demon.co.uk> wrote in news:dbr8pg$miv$1
@news.freedom2surf.net:

> "bz" <bz+sp(a)ch100-5.chem.lsu.edu> wrote in message
>> "george(a)briar.demon.co.uk" <george(a)briar.demon.co.uk> wrote in
> <snip>
>>> It would be
>>> possible to measure the bandwidth of a laser
>>> diode with coherence length in the cm range
>>> going through a shutter which was open for say
>>> 1 microsecond at a repetition rate of 10 kHz
>>> with a photon rate of a few hundred per second.
>>
>> That would tell us nothing about the length of the photons.
>> We can already get single photons by attenuating the beam intensity.
>>
>> Besides, spectrum analysis is done, every day, on fiber optical lasers.
>> We know that for switching speeds used for gigabit data rates, the
>> bandwidths needed are consistent with information theory.
>
> Indeed, I was outlining the control experiment.
>
>> We need to push the envelope, so to speak, and see what happens with VERY
>> narrow pulses, so narrow that they can only contain a single cycle.
>
> Single cycle might be beyond the technology
> but chopping within the coherence length is
> achievable.

Single cycle is certainly not beyond the technology at lower frequencies.

>>> The chances of getting two photons during an
>>> opening would be low but the shutter would be
>>> open for a time much longer than the "duration"
>>> of a single photon.
>>>
>>> Then change to a shutter open time around 10ps
>>> and see if the bandwidth increases. The photon
>>> "length" should be 30ps per cm of coherence so
>>> selecting only part of the photon should increase
>>> the bandwidth if I am right.
>>
>> Selecting only part of the photon should either (1) produce no output
>> or (2) produce a photon with less energy, since part of its energy has
>> been absorbed.
>>
>> (1) is consistent with Einstein. (2) would blow all kinds of holes in
>> quantum electro dynamics unless it could be shown to be consistent with
>> the compton effect.

Looks like people are, or think they are, making single photons.

http://ipeqwww.epfl.ch/qd/html/singleqddevices.htm
http://www.quiprocone.org/report034.pdf
http://www.mqc2.it/MQC204/Stevenson.pdf
http://cua.mit.edu/8.422/PHYSICS-vuckovic-fattal-santori-solomon-yamamoto-
enhanced-single-photon-emission-from-a-quantum-dot-in-a-micropost-
microcavity-apl-v82-p3596-2003-single_photons_APL_May03-1.pdf
http://www.iota.u-psud.fr/~S4P/pdf%20files/APL02865.pdf

--
bz

infinite set.

bz+sp(a)ch100-5.chem.lsu.edu remove ch100-5 to avoid spam trap
From: George Dishman on

> "George Dishman" <george(a)briar.demon.co.uk> wrote in news:dbr8pg$miv$1
> @news.freedom2surf.net:
>

>> "bz" <bz+sp(a)ch100-5.chem.lsu.edu> wrote in message
>>> "george(a)briar.demon.co.uk" <george(a)briar.demon.co.uk> wrote in
>> <snip>

>>> We need to push the envelope, so to speak, and see what happens with
>>> VERY
>>> narrow pulses, so narrow that they can only contain a single cycle.
>>
>> Single cycle might be beyond the technology
>> but chopping within the coherence length is
>> achievable.
>
> Single cycle is certainly not beyond the technology at lower frequencies.

No but I think measuring single photons
becomes harder.

> Looks like people are, or think they are, making single photons.
>
> http://ipeqwww.epfl.ch/qd/html/singleqddevices.htm
> http://www.quiprocone.org/report034.pdf
> http://www.mqc2.it/MQC204/Stevenson.pdf
> http://cua.mit.edu/8.422/PHYSICS-vuckovic-fattal-santori-solomon-yamamoto-
> enhanced-single-photon-emission-from-a-quantum-dot-in-a-micropost-
> microcavity-apl-v82-p3596-2003-single_photons_APL_May03-1.pdf
> http://www.iota.u-psud.fr/~S4P/pdf%20files/APL02865.pdf

We are certainly on the verge of moving to
verge of handling single photons routinely.

Thanks again for the links.

George

From: "Androcles" <Androcles@ on

"bz" <bz+sp(a)ch100-5.chem.lsu.edu> wrote in message
| "George Dishman" <george(a)briar.demon.co.uk> wrote in news:dbr8pg$miv$1
| @news.freedom2surf.net:

Watch our for bz. He'll calculate 76.6c for the speed of an electron in
an accelerator and blame YOU for it.
Androcles.

From: Paul B. Andersen on
Aristotle wrote:

>>>See? :-)
>>>
>>>Henri Wilson won't tell us what the result was
>>>the one time he tested his program with measured data
>>>of a known binary.
>>
>>All that beer hasn't cured your tendency to rave.
>

> And you still REFUSE to answer the question. Are you a politician?
> You sure duck questions like one.

Henri Wilson has tested his program only once with real
measured data of a binary, namely HD80715.
His program predicted that HD80715 should be a variable.
It isn't.
Henri Wilson has falsified the ballistic theory.

He don't like to be reminded, as you can see. :-)

Paul