From: blackhead on
On 31 July, 23:31, ..@..(Henry Wilson DSc) wrote:
> On Fri, 30 Jul 2010 19:13:28 -0700 (PDT), blackhead <larryhar...(a)softhome..net>
> wrote:
>

> >On 30 July, 23:38, ..@..(Henry Wilson DSc) wrote:

> >> I can't see any reference in the experiment to your claims.
>
> >> How and why are the x-rays formed and who measured their speeds?
>
> >Accelerated charge generates EM radiation. The wiggler "wiggles" and
> >so changes the direction of the electrons, causing them to radiate.
> >The speed of the electrons is what matters in this experiment. Here's
> >a link to a wiggler:
>
> >http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wiggler_(synchrotron)
>
> >> There is no reason why the x-ray pulse width should depend on the (constant)
> >> electron speed. X-rays are emitted over a certain electron travel time
> >> interval, around (L/c). They will arrive at a detector over the same time
> >> interval even if they move at 100c.
>
> >Suppose you had just one electron entering the wiggler. The front end
> >of the pulse is generated when the electron enters the wiggler, the
> >back end when it leaves. If the front end of the pulse travels at the
> >same velocity as the electron, then the back end will be generated
> >where the electron and the front end of the pulse is, giving a pulse
> >width of zero.
>
> >A wiggler has a length of the order of meters, with electrons
> >travelling around 1 meter per 3ns, yet the pulse width is of the order
> >fs. This would imply the X-rays travel close to the speed of the
> >electrons, don't you think?
>
> Pathetic
>
> You seem to be suggesting that the x-rays have a preferred direction.

EM radiation does have a preferred direction, if you look at the
acceleration term in the Lienard-Wiechert fields for a charge.

From: Jerry on
On Jul 30, 5:38 pm, ..@..(Henry Wilson DSc) wrote:
> On Fri, 30 Jul 2010 08:59:58 -0500, Tom Roberts <tjroberts...(a)sbcglobal.net>
> wrote:

> >Such "occasional interactions" do indeed occur, but do not account for this: the
> >rest of the accelerator has SIMILAR (VERY LOW) DENSITIES OF GAS, but the
> >coherent x-rays are emitted ONLY when the beam is in the magnetic wiggler.
>
> I can't see any reference in the experiment to your claims.

That is because you haven't searched.

> How and why are the x-rays formed and who measured their speeds?

Most of my knowledge about free electron lasers comes from having
visited a library and actually read books, but a few online
resources are available:
http://cas.web.cern.ch/cas/Pruhonice/PDF/Renieri.pdf
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Free_electron_laser

The key to understanding how FELS lasing occurs comes from
understanding the special undulator design, first proposed by
Hans Motz and realized in practice by John Madey. In this form
of undulator, random shot noise initially causes the electrons to
bunch up into vaguely defined groups spaced by the predominant
wavelength of the emitted light. Light whose wavelength equals
that of the electron spacing will add up coherently, and the
coherently emitted light causes the electron bunches to be more
tightly defined, a self-reinforcing process that results in an
intense beam of coherent light in the transverse direction.

FELS lasing requires that the electrons be moving at relativistic
speeds. The lasing mechanism could not -possibly- occur if light
were ballistic.

> There is no reason why the x-ray pulse width should depend on the (constant)
> electron speed. X-rays are emitted over a certain electron travel time
> interval, around (L/c). They will arrive at a detector over the same time
> interval even if they move at 100c.
>
> As usual, the relativist logic is wrong.

You need a repeat of my earlier post?

Consider a 10 fs pulse of electrons * traveling through the
undulator at v=0.9999997 c, with X-rays |||| being continually
emitted by the electrons as they wiggle through the undulator.

Let k=1, i.e. photons are being emitted at 2c

E----------------------------F
*| electrons have traveled 1m, front of X-ray beam 2m
*|| electrons have traveled 2m, front of X-ray beam 4m
*||| electrons have traveled 3m, front of X-ray beam 6m
*|||| electrons have traveled 4m, front of X-ray beam 8m
etc. etc. etc. etc. etc. etc. etc. etc. etc. etc. etc. etc.
*||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
*|||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
*||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
Difference between front and rear of 2c X-ray beam = 30 m
Total X-ray pulse duration = 10 fs + 30 m/(2c) = 50 ns

Let k = 0.1, i.e. photons are being emitted at 1.1c

E----------------------------F
*|||
Difference between front and rear of 1.1c X-ray beam = 3 m
Total x-ray pulse duration = 10 fs + 3 m/(1.1c) = 9.1 ns

Let k = 0, i.e. photons are being emitted at c
E----------------------------F
*|
Since the electrons are traveling at 0.9999997c, the difference
between front and rear of the 1c X-ray beam = 9 um
Total X-ray pulse duration = 10 fs + 9 um/c = 40 fs

Jerry
From: Androcles on

"Jerry" <Cephalobus_alienus(a)comcast.net> wrote in message
| On Jul 30, 5:38 pm, ..@..(Henry Wilson DSc) wrote:
| > On Fri, 30 Jul 2010 08:59:58 -0500, Tom Roberts
<tjroberts...(a)sbcglobal.net>
| > wrote:
|
| > >Such "occasional interactions" do indeed occur, but do not account for
this: the
| > >rest of the accelerator has SIMILAR (VERY LOW) DENSITIES OF GAS, but
the
| > >coherent x-rays are emitted ONLY when the beam is in the magnetic
wiggler.

| > I can't see any reference in the experiment to your claims.
|
| That is because you haven't searched.
|
| > How and why are the x-rays formed and who measured their speeds?
|
| Most of my knowledge about free electron lasers comes from having
| visited a library and actually read books, but a few online
| resources are available:
| http://cas.web.cern.ch/cas/Pruhonice/PDF/Renieri.pdf
| http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Free_electron_laser
|
| The key to understanding how FELS lasing occurs comes from
| understanding the special undulator design, first proposed by
| Hans Motz and realized in practice by John Madey. In this form
| of undulator, random shot noise initially causes the electrons to
| bunch up into vaguely defined groups spaced by the predominant
| wavelength of the emitted light. Light whose wavelength equals
| that of the electron spacing will add up coherently, and the
| coherently emitted light causes the electron bunches to be more
| tightly defined, a self-reinforcing process that results in an
| intense beam of coherent light in the transverse direction.
|
| FELS lasing requires that the electrons be moving at relativistic
| speeds. The lasing mechanism could not -possibly- occur if light
| were ballistic.
|
| > There is no reason why the x-ray pulse width should depend on the
(constant)
| > electron speed. X-rays are emitted over a certain electron travel time
| > interval, around (L/c). They will arrive at a detector over the same
time
| > interval even if they move at 100c.
| >
| > As usual, the relativist logic is wrong.
|
| You need a repeat of my earlier post?
|
| Consider a 10 fs pulse of electrons * traveling through the
| undulator at v=0.9999997 c, with X-rays |||| being continually
| emitted by the electrons as they wiggle through the undulator.
|
| Let k=1, i.e. photons are being emitted at 2c

As usual, the relativist logic is wrong, the undulator doesn't move at c.
Why should it emit photons at twice nothing?

From: Jerry on
On Aug 1, 3:35 am, "Androcles" <Headmas...(a)Hogwarts.physics_z> wrote:

> As usual, the relativist logic is wrong, the undulator doesn't move at c.
> Why should it emit photons at twice nothing?

Wrong. Check out the Lienard-Wiechert potential:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Li%C3%A9nard-Wiechert_potential
This describes the electromagnetic effect of a moving charge.

Scroll down the article a bit. It is a time-dependent integral
over charge density. In other words, only the motions of the
charges matter. Other fields do not enter into the equation.

In other words, EM is generated when you wiggle a bunch of
electrons. It doesn't matter -how- you wiggle them.

A typical method is to connect an antenna to the output of an
RLC resonant circuit. The antenna doesn't need a magnetic field
to operate correctly. EM is not emitted by the non-existent
magnetic field in which the antenna does not operate.

You could also stick a charged pith ball to the end of a ruler
and wave it. EM is emitted by accelerated electrons in the pith
ball. It is not emitted by the non-existent magnetic field in
which you are not waving the ruler.

In an accelerator undulator, EM is emitted by the accelerating
electrons. Magnets are important only in so far as they are the
means by which you are accelerating the electrons. But the
Lienard-Wiechert equation tells us that it is the electrons
that are doing the emitting, not the static magnetic field that
is forcing the electrons to wiggle.

If you disagree with the above, then you need to supply a
replacement for Maxwell's equations.

Good luck.

Jerry

From: Jerry on
On Aug 1, 1:47 am, Jerry <Cephalobus_alie...(a)comcast.net> wrote:

> Most of my knowledge about free electron lasers comes from having
> visited a library and actually read books, but a few online
> resources are available:http://cas.web.cern.ch/cas/Pruhonice/PDF/Renieri.pdfhttp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Free_electron_laser
>
> The key to understanding how FELS lasing occurs comes from
> understanding the special undulator design, first proposed by
> Hans Motz and realized in practice by John Madey. In this form
> of undulator, random shot noise initially causes the electrons to
> bunch up into vaguely defined groups spaced by the predominant
> wavelength of the emitted light. Light whose wavelength equals
> that of the electron spacing will add up coherently, and the
> coherently emitted light causes the electron bunches to be more
> tightly defined, a self-reinforcing process that results in an
> intense beam of coherent light in the transverse direction.
>
> FELS lasing requires that the electrons be moving at relativistic
> speeds. The lasing mechanism could not -possibly- occur if light
> were ballistic.

Since the coherently emitted light travels at c, and the electrons
travel at nearly c, the coherently emitted light remains
CONCENTRATED in the immediate vicinity of the electron pulse,
resulting in high field densities that force the electrons to
bunch up into groups spaced according to the wavelength of the
coherently emitted light in the positive feedback loop described
above.

If light were ballistic, this self-reinforcing process could not
occur. Any emitted light would immediately exit the electron pulse
and the positive feedback loop described above could not occur.

The very -existence- of free electron lasers disproves ballistic
theory.

Jerry

First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16
Prev: Comment on RQG.
Next: WHY SCIENCE IS NOT PART OF CULTURE