From: robin on
"Jessica Colman" <jessica.colman(a)augustakom.net> wrote in message news:hscabb$p8h$1(a)news.m-online.net...
| Hi everyone,
|
| a customer asked, if there is a possibiliy to generate barcodes on a
| mainframe with pl/1 or cobol. I noticed a thread here in 2004 but it
| didn't come to an end. Does anyone have an idea?

Should be possible in PL/I to do that on any computer that has a suitable printer.
All that's needed is a set of fonts.
Probably a laser printer or a dot-matrix impact printer will be
required.

To find a suitable set of fonts to download, just do a google on "bar code fonts".
You will find some that are free. Help yourself to whatever!

From: Lawrence Greenwald on
In article <4bea1ad3$0$67489$c30e37c6(a)exi-reader.telstra.net>,
"robin" <robin51(a)dodo.com.au> wrote:

> "Jessica Colman" <jessica.colman(a)augustakom.net> wrote in message
> | Hi everyone,
> |
> | a customer asked, if there is a possibiliy to generate barcodes on a
> | mainframe with pl/1 or cobol. I noticed a thread here in 2004 but it
> | didn't come to an end. Does anyone have an idea?
>
> Should be possible in PL/I to do that on any computer that has a suitable
> printer.
> All that's needed is a set of fonts.
> Probably a laser printer or a dot-matrix impact printer will be
> required.
>
> To find a suitable set of fonts to download, just do a google on "bar code
> fonts".
> You will find some that are free. Help yourself to whatever!
>
> | Regards
> |
> | Jessica (Germany)

At my current mainframe based installation, we have coding in several
COBOL programs that put out the binary type text that gets translated to
bar-coding on the forms. We use what's called a "2 by 5 interleave" as
the format. It's not something trivial to code!

An important thing is to seriously test it to make sure the bar-coding
printed translates correctly into the data expected!

From: Anonymous on
In article <hscabb$p8h$1(a)news.m-online.net>,
Jessica Colman <jessica.colman(a)augustakom.net> wrote:
>Hi everyone,
>
>a customer asked, if there is a possibiliy to generate barcodes on a
>mainframe with pl/1 or cobol. I noticed a thread here in 2004 but it
>didn't come to an end. Does anyone have an idea?

I can only speak for myself but yes, to the best of my knowledge - given
suitable hardware and programming p there is a possibility to generate
bardoces on a mainframe.

Doing this, in my experience, is neither easy nor fast to do. Doing work
that is neither easy nor fast is, in my experience, something that Costs A
Lot Of Money. Please feel free to pass this information along to someone
with appropriate authority for allocating budget with a request for the
approximate amount the organisation is willing to spend on this sort of
modification.

Once a decision has been made as to whether the cost/benefit ratio merits
further exploration of this project please feel free to get in touch with
me.

DD
From: HeyBub on
Jessica Colman wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> a customer asked, if there is a possibiliy to generate barcodes on a
> mainframe with pl/1 or cobol. I noticed a thread here in 2004 but it
> didn't come to an end. Does anyone have an idea?
>
> Regards
>
> Jessica (Germany)

As others have said, the best solution is to off-load the data to a PC and
have the PC print the barcodes.

Printing barcodes on a PC is trivial.

From: Thomas David Rivers on
Jessica Colman wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> a customer asked, if there is a possibiliy to generate barcodes on a
> mainframe with pl/1 or cobol. I noticed a thread here in 2004 but it
> didn't come to an end. Does anyone have an idea?
>
> Regards
>
> Jessica (Germany)

Take a look at www.888999copi.com they have functions to
create barcodes on z/OS that you can invoke from PL/1 or COBOL
or anything.

- Dave Rivers -

--
rivers(a)dignus.com Work: (919) 676-0847
Get your mainframe programming tools at http://www.dignus.com