From: glen herrmannsfeldt on
In comp.lang.pl1 SkippyPB <swiegand(a)nospam.neo.rr.com> wrote:
(snip, I wrote)

>>> I don't believe that is is a normal output form for any form
>>> of COBOL or PL/I. You could easily write PDF, Postscript, or
>>> one of many other graphical languages to form printable barcodes.

>>Sure it is. Anything doable in PDF or Postscript is doable in
>> COBOL (but not the reverse).

> Absolutely. I wrote a bar code generator in COBOL for a statement
> program on the mainframe back in the mid 80's.

To be more explicit, you can't directly write barcodes from either
PL/I or COBOL. That is, there is no OUTPUT BARCODE or
PUT BARCODE statement. You can write out code in another
language, PCL, PDF, Postscript, HPGL, etc., that will generate
barcodes when sent to the appropriate device.

With enough demand, barcode could be added to some language.

As this is the PL/I group, I will note that early PL/I had
support for I/O of the then current pound/shilling/pence system
used in England. It seems rare for a compiled language to have
support for even simple graphs as part of the language or its
standard library. Many "interpreted" languages, such as R, or
Mathematica, have graphics as part of the basic language.

R, for example, has support for postscript and pdf, among others,
where the routines for generating those output formats are
part of the standard system. One specifies what one wants to
draw, and the system generates the appropriate output.
Even so, I don't remember barcodes as being standard, but it
wouldn't be hard to do given graphical primitives.

Graphical libaries are commonly used with languages such as
Fortran, C, and PL/I, but they are not, as far as I know,
part of the base language or associated library.

-- glen
From: Richard on
On May 12, 7:14 am, Jessica Colman <jessica.col...(a)augustakom.net>
wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> a customer asked, if there is a possibiliy to generate barcodes on a
> mainframe with pl/1 or cobol. I noticed a thread here in 2004 but it
> didn't come to an end. Does anyone have an idea?

I wrote Cobol code more than 20 years ago to print barcodes on various
printers: OKI matrix printers ML84,321,521,721 and HP PCL laser or
clones; in UPC and code39 simply by having a table of the patterns for
each character and converting these into graphics control codes for
the printer. The code is still in use but is gradually being replaced
as I move clients to merging data into Postscript templates to produce
laser documents and PDFs for emailing.

Originally the code was printing adhesive labels for production and
despatch (to stick on the parcels) but was added to packing slips so
that a barcode reader could be used at despatch. These days the
product and despatch labels are done on Zebra thermal transfer
printers with a ZPL template.

If it labels that you want then Zebra printers (or similar) are what
is needed and Cobol is suitable and easy.

From: Shmuel Metz on
In <hscabb$p8h$1(a)news.m-online.net>, on 05/11/2010
at 09:14 PM, Jessica Colman <jessica.colman(a)augustakom.net> said:

>a customer asked, if there is a possibiliy to generate barcodes on a
>mainframe with pl/1 or cobol.

Of course. The real questions are

What printers do you want to use?
What fonts are you licensed for?
What software are you licensed for?

Depending on the answers, the task ranges from impossible to trivial.
At most shops it would be somewhere on the trivial side.

reply to spamtrap(a)library.lspace.org

From: robin on
"glen herrmannsfeldt" <gah(a)ugcs.caltech.edu> wrote in message news:hseq3b$o2d$1(a)speranza.aioe.org...
| In comp.lang.pl1 SkippyPB <swiegand(a)nospam.neo.rr.com> wrote:
| (snip, I wrote)

| >>Sure it is. Anything doable in PDF or Postscript is doable in
| >> COBOL (but not the reverse).
|
| > Absolutely. I wrote a bar code generator in COBOL for a statement
| > program on the mainframe back in the mid 80's.
|
| To be more explicit, you can't directly write barcodes from either
| PL/I or COBOL. That is, there is no OUTPUT BARCODE or
| PUT BARCODE statement.

PL/I statements for producing bar codes are PUT EDIT and WRITE.
Using an appropriate printer (e.g., laser printer or impact dot mattrix printer --
as i said a few days ago) with an installed bar code font (as I said a few days ago)
the bar codes are produced.

| You can write out code in another
| language, PCL, PDF, Postscript, HPGL, etc., that will generate
| barcodes when sent to the appropriate device.

None of that's necessary.

| With enough demand, barcode could be added to some language.
|
| As this is the PL/I group, I will note that early PL/I had
| support for I/O of the then current pound/shilling/pence system
| used in England.

And other countries including New Zealand and Australia,
to mention a few.

From: HeyBub on
Richard wrote:

> If it labels that you want then Zebra printers (or similar) are what
> is needed and Cobol is suitable and easy.

Same idea. Zebra printers have the smarts to translate characters into
graphics. "Fonts" have the smarts, whether on a mainframe or PC, to
translate characters into itty-bitty dots on a suitable printer.

First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Prev: Cobol JNI
Next: Natural for zOS