From: Pete Dashwood on
Jessica Colman wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> a customer asked, if there is a possibiliy to generate barcodes on a
> mainframe with pl/1 or cobol. I noticed a thread here in 2004 but it
> didn't come to an end. Does anyone have an idea?
>
> Regards
>
> Jessica (Germany)

I see you've had many suggestions.

If I were doing this I would use AFP (Advanced Function Printing). It works
fine with both PL/1 and COBOL.

AFP allows graphics to be embedded into documents printed by a mainframe.

I used it to add signatures to letters that were generated on a mainframe.
It is simple, straightforward, and works.

I notice that Peter Flass suggested it, as AFP includes barcode fonts.

I agree with him.

Pete.

From: Rene_Surop on

> As others have said, the best solution is to off-load the data to a PC and
> have the PC print the barcodes.
>
> Printing barcodes on a PC is trivial.

PC desktop barcode printing is trivial but it is cost effective.

If it is a batch printing then I would suggest extracting the
mainframe data into desktop PC and print the barcode from there. The
reason for this is that barcode printers can be easily attached to a
Windows OS/hardware serial port anytime.

I could share my barcode printing program (source code) for a Datamax
(Prodigy) brand using UPC EAN-13 if you like. Just email me back.
From: Jessica Colman on
Hi everyone,

thank you for your suggestions! AFP seems to work fine.

Regards

Jessica

From: Pete Dashwood on
Jessica Colman wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> thank you for your suggestions! AFP seems to work fine.
>
> Regards
>
> Jessica

Good choice!

Glad you solved the problem.

From: Shmuel Metz on
In <hseq3b$o2d$1(a)speranza.aioe.org>, on 05/12/2010
at 05:55 PM, glen herrmannsfeldt <gah(a)ugcs.caltech.edu> said:

>To be more explicit, you can't directly write barcodes from either
>PL/I or COBOL.

Of course you can.

>That is, there is no OUTPUT BARCODE or PUT BARCODE statement.

There's no PUT EBCDIC or PUT TN statement either; does that stop you
from writing EBCDIC data to be printed with a TN train?

>You can write out code in another language, PCL, PDF,
>Postscript, HPGL, etc., that will generate barcodes when sent
>to the appropriate device.

Sure you can, but why do it the hard way. If she's licensed for bar
code fonts then she can use them. If she's licensed for AFP software
then she can use that.

>With enough demand, barcode could be added to some language.

Yes, and you could graft ears on a tree. It makes sense to add
graphics to a language, but not specific fonts.

reply to spamtrap(a)library.lspace.org

First  |  Prev  |
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Prev: Cobol JNI