From: Steve M on
"nandan21" wrote:
> Most of the Engineers prefer to sit in centre of the audience to mix a
> live performance, but a few prefer to sit off-centre. Sitting in
> centre does not give correct idea of your mix as bass frequencies sum
> up at that position, points tech papers and writings. What are your
> reasoned preferences?

Like most responders, I've been forced to mix from all kinds of
good and bad locations.
My personal preference is slightly left or right of center, and about
2/3 back in the audience area.

--
Steve McQ

From: Tim Perry on

"Denny Strauser" <dsdennysound(a)gmail.com> wrote in message
> On 7/8/2010 3:22 PM, Sean Conolly wrote:
>> "nandan21"<nandan21(a)yahoo.com> wrote in message
>>> Most of the Engineers prefer to sit in centre of the audience to mix a
>>> live performance, but a few prefer to sit off-centre. Sitting in
>>> centre does not give correct idea of your mix as bass frequencies sum
>>> up at that position, points tech papers and writings. What are your
>>> reasoned preferences?
>>
>> I think I can count on one hand the number of times I've even had a
>> choice
>> about where the mix position would be.
>>
>> My worst situation was in the college theater, running sound from the
>> back
>> of the lighting booth at the back of the balcony. The only acoustic path
>> was
>> through the holes for the spotlights. My solution was to put a mic about
>> two
>> feet below the front edge of the balcony and mix through headphones.
>> Sometimes you just do what you gotta do.
>
> It's not just college theater. I've worked quite a few theater shows in a
> wide variety of venues. I absolutely hate mixing from a booth, even if the
> windows can be removed. My rider said FOH position should be center, in
> the middle of the room, but it seldom happened in theatre. Off to one
> side, back of room under balcony, and, yes, occasionally a damn booth. It
> got better when digital boards came out, because my footprint got
> incredibly smaller. I've mixed shows on my knees to get a decent FOH
> position in theatre.
>
> - Denny

Oh no... say it isn't so. but could you SEE?

From: Denny Strauser on
On 7/8/2010 8:02 PM, Tim Perry wrote:
> "Denny Strauser"<dsdennysound(a)gmail.com> wrote in message
>> On 7/8/2010 3:22 PM, Sean Conolly wrote:
>>> "nandan21"<nandan21(a)yahoo.com> wrote in message
>>>
>>> I think I can count on one hand the number of times I've even had a
>>> choice
>>> about where the mix position would be.
>>>
>>> My worst situation was in the college theater, running sound from the
>>> back
>>> of the lighting booth at the back of the balcony. The only acoustic path
>>> was
>>> through the holes for the spotlights. My solution was to put a mic about
>>> two
>>> feet below the front edge of the balcony and mix through headphones.
>>> Sometimes you just do what you gotta do.
>>
>> It's not just college theater. I've worked quite a few theater shows in a
>> wide variety of venues. I absolutely hate mixing from a booth, even if the
>> windows can be removed. My rider said FOH position should be center, in
>> the middle of the room, but it seldom happened in theatre. Off to one
>> side, back of room under balcony, and, yes, occasionally a damn booth. It
>> got better when digital boards came out, because my footprint got
>> incredibly smaller. I've mixed shows on my knees to get a decent FOH
>> position in theatre.
>
> Oh no... say it isn't so. but could you SEE?

I could see, but my knees were killing me ...
Oh, I failed to mention that I've also mixed from the (sides of the)
balcony a few times (which sucks when I had to run down to the stage
often during rehearsals), and sometimes the rear corners.
This is why walking the room during soundcheck is important.

- Denny
From: Tim Perry on

>> Oh no... say it isn't so. but could you SEE?
>
> I could see, but my knees were killing me ...
> Oh, I failed to mention that I've also mixed from the (sides of the)
> balcony a few times (which sucks when I had to run down to the stage often
> during rehearsals), and sometimes the rear corners.
> This is why walking the room during soundcheck is important.
>
> - Denny

There is one local theatre here where they routinely mix from directly under
the flown mains (Bose).

From: Tim Perry on

"nandan21" <nandan21(a)yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Most of the Engineers prefer to sit in centre of the audience to mix a
> live performance, but a few prefer to sit off-centre. Sitting in
> centre does not give correct idea of your mix as bass frequencies sum
> up at that position, points tech papers and writings. What are your
> reasoned preferences?

After doing some brutal outdoor events I'm changing my answer to "I don't
care anymore as long as it climate controlled indoors."