From: Brian K on
press810,

Any feedback for the forum?

From: Timothy Daniels on

"Brian K" wrote:
> Tim,
>
> I'm using a Silicon Image 3132 PCI Express eSATA card with onboard BIOS. I've booted WinXP from the attached HD.

I have a laptop, recall, and it would use an Expresscard. And, in fact,
the SIIG Expresscard that I have, see
http://www.siig.com/ViewProduct.aspx?pn=SC-SAE512-S1 , is by SIIG's
own pronouncement, incapable of booting an OS. Did you do anything
unusual to get WinXP on your external SATA HD to boot?

*TimDaniels*

From: Brian K on

I restored an image of WinXP to the eSATA HD. Then booted the OS using BING.

From: Brian K on
Tim,

I'm a fast worker. I just ran this exercise to confirm my memory isn't
faulty.

My external HD is 320 GB (eSATA). I resized the partition to 305 GB so that
I had 15 GB of unallocated free space. I restored my WinXP image into this
space. A Boot Item was setup in BING with the Swap option enabled as the OS
wasn't on HD0. WinXP booted from the eSATA HD.

Easy. I have a whole series of backup images that I can use for tests. At
present I have over 20 bootable OS on HD0. Several WinXP, several Win7,
several Linux, several DOS, etc. All independent, courtesy of BING.

From: Brian K on
I forgot to mention that installing an OS to an eSATA HD wouldn't be a good
idea as the booting files would go to HD0. Better to install the OS to an
extra partition on HD0, create an image and restore the image to the eSATA
HD. You could then delete the extra partition on HD0.

First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6
Prev: Studio XPS Laptop Seems to Run HOT
Next: Dell ControlPoint*