From: Timothy Daniels on
Thanks for checking, Brian.
Does BING work with Vista and Win7? (I have Vista on the laptop.)
Do you suppose that BING is *required* for Windows to boot from
external SATA HDs, so that just Windows' own boot manager wouldn't
work in booting from external SATA HDs?

*TimDaniels*

From: Brian K on

Tim,

BING works fine with Vista and Win7. I don't use Window's boot manager so I
can't answer whether it can boot an OS on an eSATA HD. I'll bet BING could
boot an OS on a HD connected to your Expresscard. Try this. Boot from a BING
CD. If you can see your eSATA HD in Partition Work then BING will be able to
boot an OS on that HD.

From: Brian K on
Tim,

Off topic but TeraByte Unlimited have a script that lets you boot WinXP from
a USB external HD or a USB flash drive.

http://www.terabyteunlimited.com/tbosdt.htm?pt_sid=081d42cf71b0b651adeacf7543286703

See Additional Items in that page.

From: Timothy Daniels on
Interesting... Does BING reside on the PC's internal HD or on the eSATA
external HD where the OS to be booted resides? As I have vaguely been
able to understand from reading the NGs, the problem with booting from an
external HD is that the driver to enable communication with the external HD
lies in is in the part of the OS that must be loaded after booting the OS. IOW,
it's the old ChickenAndEgg problem. If BING resides on the internal HD
and if BING contains the eSATA driver to communicate with the external HD,
I can see how booting the OS from the external HD might succeed. In effect,
the BIOS just boots BING, and BING then acts as a BIOS to start the booting
of the external OS.

*TimDaniels*

From: Brian K on

BING installs into an 8 MB primary partition, usually on HD0. It makes use
of the Extended MBR, LBA-1 and beyond as well as the MBR, LBA-0. It contains
no drivers. It doesn't care if you have 1 or 8 HDs. BING can boot an OS on
any HD. During the boot process it "Swaps" the HD so that it appears as HD0
to the BIOS. Each OS has a Boot Item in BING where the intended MBR on boot
is recorded. So dynamically the MBR is changed for each OS booted. This
enables a BING controlled HD to have up to 200 primary partitions. But only
4 of these primary partitions are in the MBR at any one time. The remaining
partition data is stored in the Extended MBR.

With BING you can hide OS from each other so there can be no cross talk.
Unlike the Microsoft boot loader, BING doesn't require shared booting files
on HD0. The OS are independent. So you can remove an OS without affecting
the others.

First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6
Prev: Studio XPS Laptop Seems to Run HOT
Next: Dell ControlPoint*