From: Brian K on

"BillW50" <BillW50(a)aol.kom> wrote in message
> In news:8YW0o.1181$Yv.704(a)viwinnwfe01.internal.bigpond.com,
>
> To make Windows XP to boot off of an USB drive (and most flash since they
> are interfaced through USB), one needs to make about three pages of
> registry hacks. This is all needed because Windows resets the USB ports
> halfway through the boot and then it will hang.

Bill,

Until a few weeks ago I would have been in complete agreement. TeraByte
Unlimited has published a script that does these edits automatically, in a
few seconds. I've use it to boot a WinXP OS from my USB external HD.

http://www.terabyteunlimited.com/tbosdt.htm

See Additional items. USBBoot TBS script to enable booting XP from a USB
drive.

From: BillW50 on
In news:1331o.1139$FH2.1014(a)viwinnwfe02.internal.bigpond.com,
Brian K typed on Tue, 20 Jul 2010 07:01:44 +1000:
> "BillW50" <BillW50(a)aol.kom> wrote in message
>> In news:8YW0o.1181$Yv.704(a)viwinnwfe01.internal.bigpond.com,
>>
>> To make Windows XP to boot off of an USB drive (and most flash since
>> they are interfaced through USB), one needs to make about three
>> pages of registry hacks. This is all needed because Windows resets
>> the USB ports halfway through the boot and then it will hang.
>

> Bill,
>
> Until a few weeks ago I would have been in complete agreement.
> TeraByte Unlimited has published a script that does these edits
> automatically, in a few seconds. I've use it to boot a WinXP OS from
> my USB external HD.
> http://www.terabyteunlimited.com/tbosdt.htm
>
> See Additional items. USBBoot TBS script to enable booting XP from a
> USB drive.

Brian, Microsoft says it *cannot* be done. But we know better don't we?
It can be done, but the registry has to be hacked to stop Windows from
resetting the USB ports in the middle of booting. You can hack it
yourself or run a script that somebody made. So nothing I said is untrue
at all.

--
Bill
Gateway MX6124 ('06 era) 1 of 3 - Windows XP SP2

From: Brian K on

> > yourself or run a script that somebody made. So nothing I said is untrue
> at all.

When you put it that way, I agree.