From: Lostgallifreyan on
Mark Fortune <mark(a)fortrex.co.uk> wrote in

> Greetings to the collective.
>
> For my next project I want to build a bench power supply and do away
> with this old switch mode AT computer PSU that i'm currently using.
>
> The design I have in mind will be pretty beefy, giving a wide range of
> fixed and variable output voltages (i'm thinking from -50v up to +50)
> and deliver up to 5amps of current. if my estimates are right i'll need
> a 600va+ (100v * 5a + overhead) transformer to do the job well. Now i've
> had a look at some transformers in this range, and they're a little out
> of my price range. so now i'm considering building my own.
>
> The specifications I need are as follows:
>
> primary: 0-230v @ 50Hz
> Secondary: 60v-0-60v
> secondary output current max: 5A
>
> I have an intermediate understanding of transformers, but have never
> actually built one, hence I am seeking advice from those with experience
> in this field.
> So where do I start? what type of core is best for this application? - I
> have a friend who's blasting off that toroids are best, but i'd like a
> second opinion, and what kind of wire to use for the primary and
> secondaries? what are good safety practices regarding insulation? Is
> this even a feasable project to undertake (moreso on the money side than
> timewise). Any other advice also greatly appreciated.
>
> regards,
> Mark

By a lot of cheap toroidals on eBay, 5A at some low voltage that doesn't
sell well. Outputs in series, inputs in parallel. Switch-select to get
coarse adjust, variable regulate over one output's voltage range to get any
voltage over a large range with little loss.
From: John Woodgate on
In message <44d8d62e$0$26602$da0feed9(a)news.zen.co.uk>, dated Tue, 8 Aug
2006, Mark Fortune <mark(a)fortrex.co.uk> writes

>So where do I start? what type of core is best for this application? -
>I have a friend who's blasting off that toroids are best, but i'd like
>a second opinion, and what kind of wire to use for the primary and
>secondaries? what are good safety practices regarding insulation? Is
>this even a feasable project to undertake (moreso on the money side
>than timewise). Any other advice also greatly appreciated.

You need more than 5 A AC to get 5 A DC. The rough rule is that a bridge
rectifier needs a factor of 1.6 times, but with modern huge filter caps,
think of at least 1.8 times. That's a BIG transformer, with THICK
secondary wire. Not a project to learn on, I would say.

It's not even easy to buy parts for transformers now. Maplin used to do
kits - bobbins, laminations etc. , but not now.

To learn about transformer design, you need a textbook and one of the
best is a classic - Radio Designer's Handbook, by F Langford Smith,
which was reprinted by Newnes (Butterworth-Heinemann/Reed) a few years
ago. ISBN0 7506 3635 1.

Modern core material (silicon-iron) is better than the materials
mentioned in the book. You may be able to get the information on current
materials (maximum recommended induction, core loss power/kg,
magnetizing VA/kg) from the web.
2006 is YMMVI- Your mileage may vary immensely.

From: Eeyore on

Mark Fortune wrote:

> Greetings to the collective.
>
> For my next project I want to build a bench power supply and do away
> with this old switch mode AT computer PSU that i'm currently using.
>
> The design I have in mind will be pretty beefy, giving a wide range of
> fixed and variable output voltages (i'm thinking from -50v up to +50)
> and deliver up to 5amps of current. if my estimates are right i'll need
> a 600va+ (100v * 5a + overhead) transformer to do the job well. Now i've
> had a look at some transformers in this range, and they're a little out
> of my price range. so now i'm considering building my own.
>
> The specifications I need are as follows:
>
> primary: 0-230v @ 50Hz
> Secondary: 60v-0-60v
> secondary output current max: 5A
>
> I have an intermediate understanding of transformers, but have never
> actually built one, hence I am seeking advice from those with experience
> in this field.
> So where do I start? what type of core is best for this application? - I
> have a friend who's blasting off that toroids are best, but i'd like a
> second opinion,

Toroids are relatively lightweight and more efficient that most E-I designs.
They also have relatively low stray flux which is nice if that's important to
you.

> and what kind of wire to use for the primary and
> secondaries? what are good safety practices regarding insulation? Is
> this even a feasable project to undertake (moreso on the money side than
> timewise). Any other advice also greatly appreciated.

For an uncomplicated requirement like that, simply buy one off the shelf. You
have no chance of competing on price, never mind your transformer's unlikely to
meet safety regs if you don't know what you're doing ( which clearly you don't
since you're asking basic questions ).

Graham

From: John Woodgate on
In message <qI-dnR0veMUYQkXZnZ2dnUVZ_radnZ2d(a)insightbb.com>, dated Tue,
8 Aug 2006, t.hoehler <t.hoehler(a)insightbb.com> writes

>Not really worth the effort, IMHO. However, take a look at All
>Electronics, Hosfelt Electronics, MCM Electronics.

A bit difficult for a person based in UK, perhaps. And 60-0-60 V at
around 9 A is a BIG receiver or amplifier. Around 300 W/channel.
2006 is YMMVI- Your mileage may vary immensely.

From: zekor on

Mark Fortune wrote:
> Greetings to the collective.
>
> For my next project I want to build a bench power supply and do away
> with this old switch mode AT computer PSU that i'm currently using.
>
> The design I have in mind will be pretty beefy, giving a wide range of
> fixed and variable output voltages (i'm thinking from -50v up to +50)
> and deliver up to 5amps of current. if my estimates are right i'll need
> a 600va+ (100v * 5a + overhead) transformer to do the job well. Now i've
> had a look at some transformers in this range, and they're a little out
> of my price range. so now i'm considering building my own.
>
> The specifications I need are as follows:
>
> primary: 0-230v @ 50Hz
> Secondary: 60v-0-60v
> secondary output current max: 5A
>
> I have an intermediate understanding of transformers, but have never
> actually built one, hence I am seeking advice from those with experience
> in this field.
> So where do I start? what type of core is best for this application? - I
> have a friend who's blasting off that toroids are best, but i'd like a
> second opinion, and what kind of wire to use for the primary and
> secondaries? what are good safety practices regarding insulation? Is
> this even a feasable project to undertake (moreso on the money side than
> timewise). Any other advice also greatly appreciated.

I would recommend reading up from every source. I have built torroids
using the winding which was orginally a variac. These were 110 volt
units. You automatically have a primary so all you need to do is wind
the secondaries on top. I have also done the other type of transformer,
schelacing.the iron plates. I would also recomend what others have, buy
surplus on the market. Combine transformers if you can't find them.

greg

First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12
Prev: Texas Instruments microcontroller