From: ArameFarpado on
Forgot one detail:

first rool the primary coil
them put a plastic or corse paper strip to isolate the 2 coils
then rool the secundary coil

From: Rich Grise on
On Tue, 08 Aug 2006 13:21:34 -0700, zekor wrote:
> Mark Fortune wrote:
>> Greetings to the collective.
>>
>> For my next project I want to build a bench power supply and do away
>> with this old switch mode AT computer PSU that i'm currently using.
>>
>> The design I have in mind will be pretty beefy, giving a wide range of
>> fixed and variable output voltages (i'm thinking from -50v up to +50)
>> and deliver up to 5amps of current. if my estimates are right i'll need
>> a 600va+ (100v * 5a + overhead) transformer to do the job well. Now i've
>> had a look at some transformers in this range, and they're a little out
>> of my price range. so now i'm considering building my own.
>>
>> The specifications I need are as follows:
>>
>> primary: 0-230v @ 50Hz
>> Secondary: 60v-0-60v
>> secondary output current max: 5A
>>
>> I have an intermediate understanding of transformers, but have never
>> actually built one, hence I am seeking advice from those with experience
>> in this field.
>> So where do I start? what type of core is best for this application? - I
>> have a friend who's blasting off that toroids are best, but i'd like a
>> second opinion, and what kind of wire to use for the primary and
>> secondaries? what are good safety practices regarding insulation? Is
>> this even a feasable project to undertake (moreso on the money side than
>> timewise). Any other advice also greatly appreciated.
>
> I would recommend reading up from every source. I have built torroids
> using the winding which was orginally a variac. These were 110 volt
> units. You automatically have a primary so all you need to do is wind
> the secondaries on top. I have also done the other type of transformer,
> schelacing.the iron plates. I would also recomend what others have, buy
> surplus on the market. Combine transformers if you can't find them.

I used to work for a battery charger manufacturer who made their own
transformers. They had a machine to stack the lams, alternating, of course,
and a big machine to spin the bobbin while the guy hand-wound the windings
on it. Then, when it was all stacked, they'd whack it to make sure all of
the lams were as tight as they could get them, bolt it up, hypot it, and
then bake them and dip them in hot varnish.

BTW, I don't think there are many USENETizens who would consider
themselves part of any "collective" - that's the Borg. =:-O

Good Luck!
Rich

From: ArameFarpado on

From: Father Haskell on

Tim Wescott wrote:
> Jim Thompson wrote:
> > On Tue, 08 Aug 2006 21:19:21 GMT, "ian field" <dai.ode(a)ntlworld.com>
> > wrote:
> >

> >>"Jim Thompson" <To-Email-Use-The-Envelope-Icon(a)My-Web-Site.com> wrote in
> >>message news:99uhd21d83biuj4122hfrv1p47k4gip41h(a)4ax.com...

> >>Was it Ge or Si ?
> >>

> > It was Silicon. I didn't use any Germanium power devices since I
> > boosted my car radio back when I was a junior in high school.
> >
> > ...Jim Thompson
>
> Correction: it _is_ silicon.
> http://www.onsemi.com/pub/Collateral/2N3055-D.PDF.
>
> Digi-Key has them for $2.10 a pop, in the TO-3 case, no less.

2N3055s are as common as 2N2222s. Salvage them from junked
supplies or amps, and the cost is nothing.

From: Rich Grise on
On Tue, 08 Aug 2006 22:53:34 +0100, John Woodgate wrote:

> In message <Uf7Cg.6098$vl5.3392(a)newsfe4-win.ntli.net>, dated Tue, 8 Aug
> 2006, ian field <dai.ode(a)ntlworld.com> writes
>>You can't beat a microwave oven transformer with a secondary
>>transplant!
>
> That depends on how the leakage inductance is produced, and whether you
> can remove it, which you must in order to use it as a conventional
> transformer

Taking out the old secondary is almost trivial, with a hacksaw and a
chisel. ;-)

But apparenlty, you need to add windings to the primary to bring the
magnetizing current down, or somethiing like that. I have an old MOT
that I've been experimenting with, and the idling current is just way
too much for any self-respecting 60 Hz trannie, albeit they do have
to account for the shunts, which current-limit the output.

On and off, I've been poking around with this thing, but now I'm at
a crossroads with it - do I cut it open, take the bobbin out, and
enhance the primary that way, or do I thread more #18 Formvar wire
through it until I build up another layer of windings? So far,
threading the new wire through has turned out to be much more of
a PITA than I had expected, so it's kind of on the back burner for
the moment.

Good Luck!
Rich

First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18
Prev: Texas Instruments microcontroller
Next: potentiometer