From: Eeyore on

John Woodgate wrote:

> In message <4jtfg7F9hi9fU1(a)individual.net>, dated Wed, 9 Aug 2006, Phil
> Allison <philallison(a)tpg.com.au> writes
>
> >RCA 38494 and 40411 used in the famous Quad 303 hi-fi amplifier.
>
> 38494 is a custom part number, but 40411 looks like a standard part.
> What substitute devices are used for repairs?

I've replaced 40411s with 2N3773.

Graham

From: Tim Shoppa on
Lostgallifreyan wrote:
> By a lot of cheap toroidals on eBay, 5A at some low voltage that doesn't
> sell well.

I have to agree with the sentiment 100%. Surplus transformers are
always going to be cheaper than custom-built :-). Most oddball
transformers on E-bay sell for pennies on the dollar (actually most
don't sell at all!)

And construction and mounting-wise, a lot of small transformers are way
easier to deal with than one mammoth one. Above a very small number of
VA you start building the case and mounting reinforcements around the
transformer anyway :-).

Tim.

From: Adrian Tuddenham on
Mark Fortune <mark(a)fortrex.co.uk> wrote:

> I think what you're saying is "try learning on some smaller transformers
> first" I might just do that, cos it'd be a PITA if I screw up on a big
> one and have to unwind it all again :]

Very small transformers have large numbers of turns and the wire is
thinner. Somewhere around 50 to 100 VA is a good size to learn on.

If you can get a split bobbin, you will avoid a lot of safety issues.

For winding heavy wire, I find it best (in the absence of a large enough
winding machine) to tie one end of the wire to the front gatepost, then
lay it down the side of the house and down the back garden path. I walk
up the garden, reeling-in the wire onto the bobbin and counting the
turns as I go. The tension is easy to control by just keeping a steady
pull against the wire.

Carry tools, string, insulation material and adhesive tape in your
pockets; you won't be able to put the core down to go and fetch them
because the windings will spring undone.

--
~ Adrian Tuddenham ~
www.poppyrecords.co.uk
From: isw on
In article <44d8d62e$0$26602$da0feed9(a)news.zen.co.uk>,
Mark Fortune <mark(a)fortrex.co.uk> wrote:

> Greetings to the collective.
>
> For my next project I want to build a bench power supply and do away
> with this old switch mode AT computer PSU that i'm currently using.
>
> The design I have in mind will be pretty beefy, giving a wide range of
> fixed and variable output voltages (i'm thinking from -50v up to +50)
> and deliver up to 5amps of current. if my estimates are right i'll need
> a 600va+ (100v * 5a + overhead) transformer to do the job well. Now i've
> had a look at some transformers in this range, and they're a little out
> of my price range. so now i'm considering building my own.
>
> The specifications I need are as follows:
>
> primary: 0-230v @ 50Hz
> Secondary: 60v-0-60v
> secondary output current max: 5A
>
> I have an intermediate understanding of transformers, but have never
> actually built one, hence I am seeking advice from those with experience
> in this field.
> So where do I start? what type of core is best for this application? - I
> have a friend who's blasting off that toroids are best, but i'd like a
> second opinion, and what kind of wire to use for the primary and
> secondaries? what are good safety practices regarding insulation? Is
> this even a feasable project to undertake (moreso on the money side than
> timewise). Any other advice also greatly appreciated.

Look for a blown-out 200-400 watt audio amplifier (or receiver) at a
garage sale. The transformer you'll find in it will be pretty close to
what you want. The amp will also include a lot of other very useful
items such as big heat sinks, and so on.

Isaac
From: sparc on
2N3055s ...and AD149s ... all Si too ...

First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21
Prev: Texas Instruments microcontroller
Next: potentiometer