From: James Sweet on
Jim Thompson wrote:
> On Tue, 8 Aug 2006 13:44:27 -0700, "RST Engineering \(jw\)"
> <jim(a)rstengineering.com> wrote:
>

>>What primitive semiconductors did you use in the output stage, or was it a
>>toob device? Did we have 2N3055s in '75? I don't memember.
>>
>>Jim
>>

> [snip]
>
> I'm trying to remember what semiconductors I used. But, IIRC,
> 2N3055's *were* available around that time.
>
> ...Jim Thompson

Wasn't that around the time the Dynaco ST-400 came out? I rebuilt one of
those once, seems like it used a bunch of big Motorola power
transistors, I forget the numbers but they weren't 3055's. Seems like
there were 4 of each polarity per channel, or maybe it was 2, I do
remember the heatsinks were HUGE.
From: John Woodgate on
In message <bqcCg.16233$l95.10256(a)trnddc08>, dated Wed, 9 Aug 2006,
James Sweet <jamessweet(a)hotmail.com> writes

>Wasn't that around the time the Dynaco ST-400 came out? I rebuilt one
>of those once, seems like it used a bunch of big Motorola power
>transistors, I forget the numbers but they weren't 3055's. Seems like
>there were 4 of each polarity per channel, or maybe it was 2, I do
>remember the heatsinks were HUGE.

Many manufacturers used 'custom' devices which were allegedly tested to
custom specifications by the device manufacturer. The Vcc max might be
higher than for the normal device, and/or beta range might be less.
2006 is YMMVI- Your mileage may vary immensely.

From: John Woodgate on
In message <44d92793_2(a)x-privat.org>, dated Wed, 9 Aug 2006,
ArameFarpado <a-farpado.spam(a)netcabo.pt> writes
>Does nobody knows howto calculate transformers anymore?
>
>this will be a 600Watt transformer

Does nobody know how to calculate rectifier circuits any more?

This will need to be a 900 W transformer.
2006 is YMMVI- Your mileage may vary immensely.

From: Phil Allison on

"James Sweet"

> Wasn't that around the time the Dynaco ST-400 came out?

** 1973, according to this schematic:

http://www.audio-circuit.dk/Schematics/Dynaco_ST400.pdf

> I rebuilt one of those once, seems like it used a bunch of big Motorola
> power transistors, I forget the numbers but they weren't 3055's.

** Nope - more like the 100 volt, 200 watt, 30 amp MJ802 / 4502 devices.

> Seems like there were 4 of each polarity per channel, or maybe it was 2, I
> do remember the heatsinks were HUGE.

** The power devices were operated in *series* instead of parallel mode as
used in other high power amps. Made the Vcc and SOA requirements of the
output devices sooooo much easier.

2N3055s and the similar BDY20 appeared in the late 1960s, as did the RCA
38494 and 40411 used in the famous Quad 303 hi-fi amplifier.

........ Phil

From: John Woodgate on
In message <4jtfg7F9hi9fU1(a)individual.net>, dated Wed, 9 Aug 2006, Phil
Allison <philallison(a)tpg.com.au> writes

>RCA 38494 and 40411 used in the famous Quad 303 hi-fi amplifier.

38494 is a custom part number, but 40411 looks like a standard part.
What substitute devices are used for repairs?

My 303 suffered its second elco failure recently, and an elco in the 33
preamp came out in sympathy. Coincidence. Of course, I put new elcos in
both channels.
2006 is YMMVI- Your mileage may vary immensely.

First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20
Prev: Texas Instruments microcontroller
Next: potentiometer