From: ian field on

"Jim Thompson" <To-Email-Use-The-Envelope-Icon(a)My-Web-Site.com> wrote in
message news:99uhd21d83biuj4122hfrv1p47k4gip41h(a)4ax.com...
> On Tue, 8 Aug 2006 13:44:27 -0700, "RST Engineering \(jw\)"
> <jim(a)rstengineering.com> wrote:
>
>>What primitive semiconductors did you use in the output stage, or was it a
>>toob device? Did we have 2N3055s in '75? I don't memember.
>>
>>Jim
>>
> [snip]
>
> I'm trying to remember what semiconductors I used. But, IIRC,
> 2N3055's *were* available around that time.
>
> ...Jim Thompson
> --
> | James E.Thompson, P.E. | mens |
> | Analog Innovations, Inc. | et |
> | Analog/Mixed-Signal ASIC's and Discrete Systems | manus |
> | Phoenix, Arizona Voice:(480)460-2350 | |
> | E-mail Address at Website Fax:(480)460-2142 | Brass Rat |
> | http://www.analog-innovations.com | 1962 |
>
> I love to cook with wine. Sometimes I even put it in the food.

Was it Ge or Si ?

From: ian field on

"John Woodgate" <jmw(a)jmwa.demon.co.uk> wrote in message
> In message <44d8d62e$0$26602$da0feed9(a)news.zen.co.uk>, dated Tue, 8 Aug
> 2006, Mark Fortune <mark(a)fortrex.co.uk> writes
>
>>So where do I start? what type of core is best for this application? - I
>>have a friend who's blasting off that toroids are best, but i'd like a
>>second opinion, and what kind of wire to use for the primary and
>>secondaries? what are good safety practices regarding insulation? Is this
>>even a feasable project to undertake (moreso on the money side than
>>timewise). Any other advice also greatly appreciated.
>
> You need more than 5 A AC to get 5 A DC. The rough rule is that a bridge
> rectifier needs a factor of 1.6 times, but with modern huge filter caps,
> think of at least 1.8 times. That's a BIG transformer, with THICK
> secondary wire. Not a project to learn on, I would say.
>
> It's not even easy to buy parts for transformers now. Maplin used to do
> kits - bobbins, laminations etc. , but not now.
>
> To learn about transformer design, you need a textbook and one of the best
> is a classic - Radio Designer's Handbook, by F Langford Smith, which was
> reprinted by Newnes (Butterworth-Heinemann/Reed) a few years ago. ISBN0
> 7506 3635 1.
>
> Modern core material (silicon-iron) is better than the materials mentioned
> in the book. You may be able to get the information on current materials
> (maximum recommended induction, core loss power/kg, magnetizing VA/kg)
> from the web.
> --
> OOO - Own Opinions Only. Try www.jmwa.demon.co.uk and www.isce.org.uk
> 2006 is YMMVI- Your mileage may vary immensely.
>
> John Woodgate, J M Woodgate and Associates, Rayleigh, Essex UK

You can't beat a microwave oven transformer with a secondary transplant!

From: Jim Thompson on
On Tue, 08 Aug 2006 21:19:21 GMT, "ian field" <dai.ode(a)ntlworld.com>
wrote:

>"Jim Thompson" <To-Email-Use-The-Envelope-Icon(a)My-Web-Site.com> wrote in
>message news:99uhd21d83biuj4122hfrv1p47k4gip41h(a)4ax.com...
>> On Tue, 8 Aug 2006 13:44:27 -0700, "RST Engineering \(jw\)"
>> <jim(a)rstengineering.com> wrote:
>>
>>>What primitive semiconductors did you use in the output stage, or was it a
>>>toob device? Did we have 2N3055s in '75? I don't memember.
>>>
>>>Jim
>>>
>> [snip]
>>
>> I'm trying to remember what semiconductors I used. But, IIRC,
>> 2N3055's *were* available around that time.
>>
>> ...Jim Thompson
>> --
>> | James E.Thompson, P.E. | mens |
>> | Analog Innovations, Inc. | et |
>> | Analog/Mixed-Signal ASIC's and Discrete Systems | manus |
>> | Phoenix, Arizona Voice:(480)460-2350 | |
>> | E-mail Address at Website Fax:(480)460-2142 | Brass Rat |
>> | http://www.analog-innovations.com | 1962 |
>>
>> I love to cook with wine. Sometimes I even put it in the food.
>
>Was it Ge or Si ?

It was Silicon. I didn't use any Germanium power devices since I
boosted my car radio back when I was a junior in high school.

...Jim Thompson
--
| James E.Thompson, P.E. | mens |
| Analog Innovations, Inc. | et |

From: mc on
I would look at cheap battery chargers.

Note that you can put the primaries in parallel and the secondaries in
series to get a higher output voltage by using multiple transformers. Check
phasing if you do this.

From: Mark Fortune on
John Woodgate wrote:
> In message <44d8d62e$0$26602$da0feed9(a)news.zen.co.uk>, dated Tue, 8 Aug
> 2006, Mark Fortune <mark(a)fortrex.co.uk> writes

> You need more than 5 A AC to get 5 A DC. The rough rule is that a bridge
> rectifier needs a factor of 1.6 times, but with modern huge filter caps,
> think of at least 1.8 times. That's a BIG transformer, with THICK
> secondary wire. Not a project to learn on, I would say.

I think what you're saying is "try learning on some smaller transformers
first" I might just do that, cos it'd be a PITA if I screw up on a big
one and have to unwind it all again :]

> It's not even easy to buy parts for transformers now. Maplin used to do
> kits - bobbins, laminations etc. , but not now.
>
> To learn about transformer design, you need a textbook and one of the
> best is a classic - Radio Designer's Handbook, by F Langford Smith,
> which was reprinted by Newnes (Butterworth-Heinemann/Reed) a few years
> ago. ISBN0 7506 3635 1.

Thanks for the info, i'll try and get my library to order a copy.

> Modern core material (silicon-iron) is better than the materials
> mentioned in the book. You may be able to get the information on current
> materials (maximum recommended induction, core loss power/kg,
> magnetizing VA/kg) from the web.

I'll have a look, thanks
First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14