From: Martin Gregorie on
On Sun, 31 Jan 2010 21:35:01 +0000, unruh wrote:

> On 2010-01-31, Martin Gregorie <martin(a)address-in-sig.invalid> wrote:
>> I started off with an ION U-record 'external sound card', i.e. an A->D
>> converter, that connects to my laptop (running F10) via a USB port. I'm
>> using Audacity to create WAV files and (currently) Brasero to convert
>> these into audio CDs. I rapidly learnt that, while its easy to record
>> each vinyl side as a single track, the resulting 2 track CD is almost
>> useless unless you want to play right through every time because its a
>> real pain to find individual tracks - much worse than a casette tape.
>
> Use gcdmaster to take that single track and split it into tracks. There
> is also a program whose name I forget (I think it is gramaphone) which
> is supposed to find periods of silence and make tracks with those
> silences as the markers. It works sometimes. It works not at all if the
> tracks run into each other.

Arrgh! I didn't say that's easily done with Audacity: I play the vinyl
side in as a single track, chop it into tracks, remove excess run-in/run-
out silence from each track and excise pops. All this is easy with the
zoomable visual bands used to represent stereo tracks. When I'm happy
with this I export the Audacity project as WAV giving a set of WAV files
and pass them to Brasero for formatting into an audio CD and burning onto
a blank.

>> My stereo system is quite old, consisting of Garrard 301 deck with an
>> SME arm and Shure V15 cartridge driving a Quad 33/303 amp and Celestion
>
> that means that the phono deck has no built in amplifier. So you have
> to run it through at least the preamp of your Quad.

The U-record gives you a choice since it accepts straight line-in at
standard levels and impedance or a signal taken direct from the
cartridge, which it applies RIAA equalisation to. Initially I used the
direct phono but found that inconvenient and now take line-out from the
preamp's tape output.

> Note that it should have a volume control on that preamp.

Doesn't affect the tape line-out. The preamp's volume control only
affects signal out to the power amp. which I'd expect, since turning the
amp down to take a phone call shouldn't affect the tape you're making of
the Adams concert on Radio 3.

> Reading about the Urecord, it probably has an RIAA filter on it already

It does.

> The turntable output is very low level, I am not sure what problem
> you are having.

None. The only reason I switched to recording via the preamp was so I can
burn a CD with material input from any of my audio sources without
needing to replug anything apart from the U-record's USB line.

> That is a disaster, since the phono deck has no RIAA equalisation and
> the sound coming out will be very very bass shy and treable heavy.

Not a problem - both U-record and preamp's phono inputs are set up for
moving coil cartridges and both have RIAA eq.

In British hi-fi circles the combination of Garrard 301/401 + SME arm and
Shure V15 is a classic and was very often used to drive Quad[1] preamps.

[1] In this context Quad means the excellent audio gear made by the
Acoustical Manufacturing Company, Huntingdon, UK. It does *not* mean
quadraphonic systems. I'm not criticising you, just pointing out that
I've met a lot of people who had heard of those odd 4-channel vinyl
pressings but not of Peter Walker and the Quad hi-fi brand.

--
martin@ | Martin Gregorie
gregorie. | Essex, UK
From: Geoffrey Clements on
"R. Georgeson" <rmg(a)nospam.zen.uk> wrote in message

[snip]

> However this was all done with the built in soundcard. I have since got a
> whizzbang external DAC and external soundcard with a digital input
> (S/PDIF). Problem is I can't get this machine to see the digital input to
> the sound card so I'm stalled. If anyone can solve that for me I'll be in
> their debt. Debian Lenny and Ubuntu 9.10 BTW.

I don't know what you've tried already but it can be useful looking at the
documentaion file in the kernel source for the module you're using. For
instance the snd-hda-intel module has a *lot* of good information in the
kernel tree.

Failing that the wikis at
http://www.alsa-project.org/main/index.php/Main_Page
and
http://alsa.opensrc.org/index.php/Main_Page

might have something.

--
Geoff

From: Tony Houghton on
In <4b669ea3$1_1(a)glkas0286.greenlnk.net>,
Geoffrey Clements <geoffrey.clementsNO(a)SPAMbaesystems.com> wrote:

> "R. Georgeson" <rmg(a)nospam.zen.uk> wrote in message
>
> [snip]
>
>> However this was all done with the built in soundcard. I have since got a
>> whizzbang external DAC and external soundcard with a digital input
>> (S/PDIF). Problem is I can't get this machine to see the digital input to
>> the sound card so I'm stalled. If anyone can solve that for me I'll be in
>> their debt. Debian Lenny and Ubuntu 9.10 BTW.
>>

> I don't know what you've tried already but it can be useful looking at the
> documentaion file in the kernel source for the module you're using. For
> instance the snd-hda-intel module has a *lot* of good information in the
> kernel tree.
>
> Failing that the wikis at
> http://www.alsa-project.org/main/index.php/Main_Page
> and
> http://alsa.opensrc.org/index.php/Main_Page
>
> might have something.

Isn't there some sort of standard for USB external sound cards? If it's
one of those it may need a non-ALSA driver to load firmware into it.
That's the point at which I came unstuck with the emi62, but I digress.
Looking at dmesg just after plugging the card in should be a good
starting point for the OP.

--
TH * http://www.realh.co.uk
From: unruh on
On 2010-02-01, Tony Houghton <h(a)realh.co.uk> wrote:
> In <4b669ea3$1_1(a)glkas0286.greenlnk.net>,
> Geoffrey Clements <geoffrey.clementsNO(a)SPAMbaesystems.com> wrote:
>
>> "R. Georgeson" <rmg(a)nospam.zen.uk> wrote in message
>>
>> [snip]
>>
>>> However this was all done with the built in soundcard. I have since got a
>>> whizzbang external DAC and external soundcard with a digital input
>>> (S/PDIF). Problem is I can't get this machine to see the digital input to
>>> the sound card so I'm stalled. If anyone can solve that for me I'll be in
>>> their debt. Debian Lenny and Ubuntu 9.10 BTW.
>>>

>> I don't know what you've tried already but it can be useful looking at the
>> documentaion file in the kernel source for the module you're using. For
>> instance the snd-hda-intel module has a *lot* of good information in the
>> kernel tree.
>>
>> Failing that the wikis at
>> http://www.alsa-project.org/main/index.php/Main_Page
>> and
>> http://alsa.opensrc.org/index.php/Main_Page
>>
>> might have something.
>
> Isn't there some sort of standard for USB external sound cards? If it's

Yes, there is. That does not mean that the manufacturers follow the
standard however.

> one of those it may need a non-ALSA driver to load firmware into it.

Yes. The MAudio cards for example need their firmware downloaded to the
usb device before they act as sound cards at all.
That is now done automatically. It used to be that you had to get the
firmware from your Windows driver disk, but I think the alsa people have
gotten Maudio to allow them to ship the firmware with alsa now.

The maudio cards actually change their usb numbers after the firmware is
downloaded.

From: Daniel James on
In article <87y6jedyz1.fsf(a)newton.gmurray.org.uk>, Graham Murray wrote:
> No. The GPL specifically states that it is not concerned with
> using/running the software. It is purely concerned with making copies of
> it, which is not allowed without permission of the copyright owner, and
> distribution of such copies.

Yes, OK -- I did say that my account was also a simplification, and maybe
it was also a little sloppily put.

I said that a licence grants the licensee certain rights to "use" the
licensed thing -- and so it does. In the case of the GPL the right of use
that is granted is the right to copy, another license might grant a right
to execute. Don't be distracted from the wood by the trees.

> Compare this with many other, especially so called 'End User
> Licences' which seek to impose restrictions on actions which would be
> allowed in the absence of the so called 'licence'.

From the legal POV it's just the same. Without a licence only the
copyright holder can do anything with the software, with a licence any
licensee can do whatever the licence permits subject to the conditions
under which the licence is granted. The licence may permit copying the
software, giving it away, selling it, running it, linking to it,
debugging it, reverse engineering it, or feeding it pizza -- the law
doesn't care which, it just provides a mechanism by which the copyright
holder can make some or all of his rights in the software available to
other parties subject to whatever terms he chooses to impose.

Cheers,
Daniel.