From: Martin Gregorie on
I'm in the process of transcribing some vinyl to CD. These are disks that
I've had for years and that have never been reissued on CD. I'm using
Audacity and an external sound card to make WAV files without any
problems, but I'm having a spot of bother creating playable music CD
images from the files and burning them to CD:

- In the past I've used XCDRoast, but version 0.98alpha15, the one
released with Fedora 10, is borked. Quite apart from having a
decidedly non-intuitive way of getting it to accept the list of
files to be burnt, it goes through the motions of burning a music CD
but in fact it merely burns a data CD. I can play the files OK with
RhythmBox but the disk is entirely silent when put into my CD player.

I know the version of XCDRoast distributed with Fedora 8 was OK, but
this one seems to be junk.

- Gnome's CD/DVD creator has no obvious way of telling it to write a
music disk - none that I've managed to find, anyway.

There has to be a better way of burning music CDs, so What software are
you using to burn them?

--
martin@ | Martin Gregorie
gregorie. | Essex, UK
From: Folderol on
On Sun, 24 Jan 2010 18:48:22 +0000 (UTC)
Martin Gregorie <martin(a)address-in-sig.invalid> wrote:

> I'm in the process of transcribing some vinyl to CD. These are disks that
> I've had for years and that have never been reissued on CD. I'm using
> Audacity and an external sound card to make WAV files without any
> problems, but I'm having a spot of bother creating playable music CD
> images from the files and burning them to CD:
>
> - In the past I've used XCDRoast, but version 0.98alpha15, the one
> released with Fedora 10, is borked. Quite apart from having a
> decidedly non-intuitive way of getting it to accept the list of
> files to be burnt, it goes through the motions of burning a music CD
> but in fact it merely burns a data CD. I can play the files OK with
> RhythmBox but the disk is entirely silent when put into my CD player.
>
> I know the version of XCDRoast distributed with Fedora 8 was OK, but
> this one seems to be junk.
>
> - Gnome's CD/DVD creator has no obvious way of telling it to write a
> music disk - none that I've managed to find, anyway.
>
> There has to be a better way of burning music CDs, so What software are
> you using to burn them?

I use k3b for all my CD/DVD burning. Early versions were a bit flaky,
but I've not had a single problem for the last 2 - 3 years.

File -> New Project -> New Audio CD Project

should sort you out :)

--
Will J G
From: Andy Leighton on
On Sun, 24 Jan 2010 18:48:22 +0000 (UTC),
Martin Gregorie <martin(a)address-in-sig.invalid> wrote:

> There has to be a better way of burning music CDs, so What software are
> you using to burn them?

k3b - however it is KDE. If you are a Gnome person maybe brasero.

--
Andy Leighton => andyl(a)azaal.plus.com
- Robert Rankin, _They Came And Ate Us_
From: Darren Salt on
I demand that Martin Gregorie may or may not have written...

> I'm in the process of transcribing some vinyl to CD. These are disks that
> I've had for years and that have never been reissued on CD. I'm using
> Audacity and an external sound card to make WAV files without any problems,
> but I'm having a spot of bother creating playable music CD images from the
> files and burning them to CD:

> - In the past I've used XCDRoast, but version 0.98alpha15, the one
> released with Fedora 10, is borked. Quite apart from having a
> decidedly non-intuitive way of getting it to accept the list of
> files to be burnt, it goes through the motions of burning a music CD
> but in fact it merely burns a data CD. [...]

If you can get it to create a CUE or TOC file, you're half-way there...

> - Gnome's CD/DVD creator has no obvious way of telling it to write a
> music disk - none that I've managed to find, anyway.

Same goes for that.

[snip]
--
| Darren Salt | linux at youmustbejoking | nr. Ashington, | Doon
| using Debian GNU/Linux | or ds ,demon,co,uk | Northumberland | Army
| + http://www.xine-project.org/

Lots of coffee = well thought out messages = lots of visits to toilet.
From: Ian on
On 24 Jan, 18:48, Martin Gregorie <mar...(a)address-in-sig.invalid>
wrote:

> There has to be a better way of burning music CDs, so What software are
> you using to burn them?

Brasero, as supplied with Ubuntu.

Ian