From: alexd on
Meanwhile, at the uk.comp.os.linux Job Justification Hearings, Andy Leighton
chose the tried and tested strategy of:

> On 26 Jan 2010 00:27:16 GMT, John Stumbles <john.stumbles(a)ntlworld.com>
> wrote:
>> On Sun, 24 Jan 2010 13:28:19 -0600, Andy Leighton wrote:
>>
>>> k3b - however it is KDE. If you are a Gnome person maybe brasero.
>>
>> Can't you run kde apps under gnome?

> Some people prefer not to mix Gnome/KDE apps (where there is a choice) for
> reasons which may or may not be logical.

If people keep inferring that there may be a problem running Foo apps in the
Bar desktop environment, then this myth is never going to die!

--
<http://ale.cx/> (AIM:troffasky) (UnSoEsNpEaTm(a)ale.cx)
18:40:42 up 5 days, 21:42, 5 users, load average: 0.06, 0.19, 0.53

From: Andy Botterill on
On 01/26/2010 12:55 AM, unruh wrote:
> On 2010-01-25, Andy Botterill<andy(a)plymouth2.demon.co.uk> wrote:

>> I have not managed to burn a dvd on FC11 at all. Brasero gave a strange
>> error message and took a long time before finishing. growisofs didn't
>> work. I just went back to my desktop and used FC8 with no problems. Just
>> being able to make a DVD would be great. Andy
>
> Try the real cdrecord. It has had a lot of development since cdrkit
> branched off 4 years ago. Schilling tries hard to keep abreast of the
> changes in CD/DVD formats, burners, etc. The cdrkit "developers" do not
> from what I can see.

It appears to be s source distribution. Which is OK for me. Will it's
installation affect any other commands/software? Thank you Andy

From: unruh on
On 2010-01-26, Joerg Schilling <js(a)cs.tu-berlin.de> wrote:
> In article <slrnhlpo94.lfh.unruh(a)wormhole.physics.ubc.ca>,
> unruh <unruh(a)wormhole.physics.ubc.ca> wrote:
>
>>k3b, cdrecord, cdrdao (but you have to build a .toc file- at least
>>initially and then you can use gcdmaster to graphically edit it and join
>>other tracks)
>
> If you use cdda2wav and cdrecord you do not even edit anything of you just like
> to rearrange tracks. This is because the unique characteristics based on the
> track specific *.inf files from cdrtools.

The advantage of gcdmaster is that it is a nice graphical tool to set up
the recording session. You can add tracks, look at them and delete
portions or add quiet sessions, etc. And it does not change anything in
the files themselves, it simply changes the .toc file to tell cdrdao
what parts to record. I find that very very useful. As far as I know
cdrtools has no such graphical interface. (Of course I would be
delighted if I were wrong-- just as I have now discovered that my
comment above, that you need an initial .toc file for gcdmaster is
wrong. You can open it with no argument and add files with Edit> Append
Track) The features of gcdmaster is for me the great advantage of
cdrdao, and is a feature that cdrtools does not (yet?) have.
The front ends (k3b, etc) I find clunky in comparison.
And the ability to edit that .toc file by hand is an added bonus.

I know you do not like cdrdao's .toc files, probably for good reason,
but for my purposes they are just what I need. Maybe because I have
never learned the .inf files.

From: unruh on
On 2010-01-26, Andy Botterill <andy(a)plymouth2.demon.co.uk> wrote:
> On 01/26/2010 12:55 AM, unruh wrote:
>> On 2010-01-25, Andy Botterill<andy(a)plymouth2.demon.co.uk> wrote:
>
>>> I have not managed to burn a dvd on FC11 at all. Brasero gave a strange
>>> error message and took a long time before finishing. growisofs didn't
>>> work. I just went back to my desktop and used FC8 with no problems. Just
>>> being able to make a DVD would be great. Andy
>>
>> Try the real cdrecord. It has had a lot of development since cdrkit
>> branched off 4 years ago. Schilling tries hard to keep abreast of the
>> changes in CD/DVD formats, burners, etc. The cdrkit "developers" do not
>> from what I can see.
>
> It appears to be s source distribution. Which is OK for me. Will it's
> installation affect any other commands/software? Thank you Andy

The main thing you need to do is to undo the changes that the
installation of cdrkit probably made to your system-- eg the links from
cdrecord, and mkisofs to wodim or genisofs, and make the links from
wodim to cdrecord, etc.
I believe that wodim has actually changed a very few of the command line
arguments, but do not know if anyone uses them. Most of the front ends
make themselves cdrecord compatible.

From: Nix on
On 25 Jan 2010, anahata(a)treewind.co.uk stated:

> On Mon, 25 Jan 2010 13:26:59 +0000, Martin Gregorie wrote:
>
>> CD-RW media isn't recommended
>
> I've never got CD-RW to work satisfactorily for anything.

They've always worked fine for me (well, they're unreliable as hell, but
so are CD-Rs: you get a 'medium not found' a few years after burning
them, no matter what. I lost a few hundred Mb of old data that way
once... not again.)

But burning stuff to them (with wodim and with the kernel's UDF support
and cdrwtool) has always worked for me, even in DVD burners.