From: Steve McIntyre on
In article <slrnhlrl29.e60.unruh(a)wormhole.physics.ubc.ca>,
unruh <unruh(a)wormhole.physics.ubc.ca> wrote:
>On 2010-01-25, Ian <ian.groups(a)btinternet.com> wrote:
>> On 25 Jan, 00:09, unruh <un...(a)wormhole.physics.ubc.ca> wrote:
>>> Also get yourself
>>> the real cdrecord, not the ancient offshoot, dying for want to support,
>>> called wodim, or cdrkit. (cdrecord.berlios.de)
>>
>> It seems that J?rg Schilling's attitude deters many from adopting his
>> excellent software.
>
>While his attitude is an annoyance, there has also been a lot of
>childish behaviour from the Debian people.

I would ask you to justify that comment, but we don't need yet another
run of the flamewar.

--
Steve McIntyre, Cambridge, UK. steve(a)einval.com
Mature Sporty Personal
From: John Stumbles on
On Sun, 24 Jan 2010 13:28:19 -0600, Andy Leighton wrote:

> k3b - however it is KDE. If you are a Gnome person maybe brasero.

Can't you run kde apps under gnome?

--
John Stumbles

Things don't like being anthropomorphised.
From: unruh on
On 2010-01-25, Andy Botterill <andy(a)plymouth2.demon.co.uk> wrote:
> On 01/25/2010 05:24 PM, Ian wrote:
>> On 25 Jan, 13:26, Martin Gregorie<mar...(a)address-in-sig.invalid>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> - K3b and Brasero can find the CD-RW but both fall over with errors
>>> that they report as 'another program is using the drive' after
>>> they've found the disk, read its capacity and generated a music CD
>>> image and are starting the burn.
>>
>> I find that Brasero gets very, very confused if another user is logged
>> in.
> I have not managed to burn a dvd on FC11 at all. Brasero gave a strange
> error message and took a long time before finishing. growisofs didn't
> work. I just went back to my desktop and used FC8 with no problems. Just
> being able to make a DVD would be great. Andy

Try the real cdrecord. It has had a lot of development since cdrkit
branched off 4 years ago. Schilling tries hard to keep abreast of the
changes in CD/DVD formats, burners, etc. The cdrkit "developers" do not
from what I can see.

From: Tony Houghton on
In <slrnhlsfbt.dlc.unruh(a)wormhole.physics.ubc.ca>,
unruh <unruh(a)wormhole.physics.ubc.ca> wrote:

> On 2010-01-25, Andy Botterill <andy(a)plymouth2.demon.co.uk> wrote:
>> I have not managed to burn a dvd on FC11 at all. Brasero gave a strange
>> error message and took a long time before finishing. growisofs didn't
>> work. I just went back to my desktop and used FC8 with no problems. Just
>> being able to make a DVD would be great. Andy
>
> Try the real cdrecord. It has had a lot of development since cdrkit
> branched off 4 years ago. Schilling tries hard to keep abreast of the
> changes in CD/DVD formats, burners, etc. The cdrkit "developers" do not
> from what I can see.

growisofs is part of dvd+rw-tools; AFAIK it was developed independently
of cdrkit (or cdrtools).

--
TH * http://www.realh.co.uk
From: Tony Houghton on
In <slrnhlrl29.e60.unruh(a)wormhole.physics.ubc.ca>,
unruh <unruh(a)wormhole.physics.ubc.ca> wrote:

> On 2010-01-25, Ian <ian.groups(a)btinternet.com> wrote:
>> On 25 Jan, 00:09, unruh <un...(a)wormhole.physics.ubc.ca> wrote:
>>> Also get yourself
>>> the real cdrecord, not the ancient offshoot, dying for want to support,
>>> called wodim, or cdrkit. (cdrecord.berlios.de)

There isn't a whole lot of development going on with cdrkit, but it
works well enough and it certainly isn't dying.

>> It seems that J?rg Schilling's attitude deters many from adopting his
>> excellent software.

It actually prevents people from adopting it if they want to distribute
it in strict compliance with common licences (interpreted the way nearly
everyone else interprets them).

> While his attitude is an annoyance, there has also been a lot of
> childish behaviour from the Debian people.

Only if you completely believe Schilling's account. The cdrkit
developers long ago addressed his complaints about their so-called GPL
violations (at least one of which was based on selectively quoting the
GPL), but he hasn't bothered to update his website. Every other
significant distro I can think of has switched to cdrkit, not just
Debian and Ubuntu.

--
TH * http://www.realh.co.uk