From: unruh on
On 2010-01-30, Joerg Schilling <js(a)cs.tu-berlin.de> wrote:
> In article <slrnhm7hd6.8s4.unruh(a)wormhole.physics.ubc.ca>,
> unruh <unruh(a)wormhole.physics.ubc.ca> wrote:
>>GPL is also limited in what you can do with it-- with the source code as
>>well.
>
> You are correct, the GPL is a just a contract that has a lower relevance
> than a law. A contract like the GPL cannot allow you to break a law.

Contracts have higher relevance than copyright law. I can give away my
copyrights by a relevant contract. GPL is a license, not a contract ( a
contract requires both people to agree to the contract, GPL, CDDL, etc
do not. They are one sided imposition under copyright law).

> The FSF does e.g. break the Copyright law when redistributing code taken from
> cdrtools under an alleged GPLv3 although the code in question never has
> been published under a license that would allow redistibution under GPLv3.

They certainly cannot place a different license than the originator did
without his permission, since the originator still retains the copyright.
If libcdio and vcdimager do use code from cdrtools, then they must abide by the license
from cdrtools.

Note that GPL 3 is legally incompatible with GPL1 and 2, more
incompatible than CDDL and GPL2, I believe.

> This is why libcdio and vcdimager are illegal.
>
> The Copyright law disallows to remove Copyright markers from a work and this
> is why the fork cdrkit is illegal.

Certainly the original copyright owner retains that copyright.
It is certainly a severe breach of ethics to hide the source of code
that is being used. Whetehr it is illegal, I could not say, especially
with the broad modification permission that the GPL gives.

From: unruh on
On 2010-01-30, Joerg Schilling <js(a)cs.tu-berlin.de> wrote:
> In article <slrnhm8rm1.hd6.unruh(a)wormhole.physics.ubc.ca>,
> unruh <unruh(a)wormhole.physics.ubc.ca> wrote:
>
>>> You are correct, the GPL is a just a contract that has a lower relevance
>>> than a law. A contract like the GPL cannot allow you to break a law.
>>
>>Contracts have higher relevance than copyright law. I can give away my
>>copyrights by a relevant contract. GPL is a license, not a contract ( a
>>contract requires both people to agree to the contract, GPL, CDDL, etc
>>do not. They are one sided imposition under copyright law).
>
> A legal construct called "license" does not exist anywhere but in the USA
> so please leus us take this apart (this is a EU oriented newsgroup).

Sorry, but I do not believe that. Copyrights give the creator certain
rights to control the copying of his work. A License is a document by
which the creator gives permission to copy their work under certain
circumstances. It binds only the creator, not the user, and thus can be
a one sided agreement, since it does not limit the user, it expands what
the user can do. A contract is a two person affair, where both are bound
by the terms of the contract. It requres consent from both parties.
Note that copyright can be "given away" in the EU. I have dealt with
publishers in Germany. What you cannot in some cases give away are moral
rights. Those are the rights to known ( or not known) as the creator of
the work. (the US does not have moral rights concept-- there is only one concept
, where rights to control copying and rights to be known as the author are one
and the same.) But the right to control copying CAN be sold or given
away, or whatever.

> For the same reason you seem to make other assumptions on the legal system
> that do not apply here. You may e.g. give away all Copyrights in the USA
> but you are not allowed to do so my law in Europe.

You are certainly allowed to give away copyright. It is moral right that
may be more constrained.

>>> The FSF does e.g. break the Copyright law when redistributing code taken from
>>> cdrtools under an alleged GPLv3 although the code in question never has
>>> been published under a license that would allow redistibution under GPLv3.
>>
>>They certainly cannot place a different license than the originator did
>>without his permission, since the originator still retains the copyright.
>> If libcdio and vcdimager do use code from cdrtools, then they must abide by the license
>>from cdrtools.
>>
>>Note that GPL 3 is legally incompatible with GPL1 and 2, more
>>incompatible than CDDL and GPL2, I believe.
>
> Correct
>
>>> The Copyright law disallows to remove Copyright markers from a work and this
>>> is why the fork cdrkit is illegal.
>>
>>Certainly the original copyright owner retains that copyright.
>>It is certainly a severe breach of ethics to hide the source of code
>>that is being used. Whetehr it is illegal, I could not say, especially
>>with the broad modification permission that the GPL gives.
>
> I know of no OSS projects other than this cdrkit fork where people other than
> the author of the code did ever try to change or remove such markers.

It may well be true that that violates the "moral rights" of the author
almost everywhere in the world except the USA. For those in the US,
"moral rights" are not a statement about morality, it is a legal part of
the copyright law almost everywhere concerned with the rights of the
author to be known as the author of a piece of work (or not known-- you
can refuse to be identified as the author of a work as well).
Removal of the notice of who the author is of a work almost certainly is
a violation of the law, everywhere but in the USA, where no such legal
concept exists.
Note that this is different from copyright-- the right to control copying
of the work. That the author can give away, sell, etc, in some countries
only for a limited period (eg 25 years or 50 years or 75 years) after which it
reverts to the author.
Both moral rights and copying rights are defined in the "Copyright Law"
of most nations.

From: Tony Houghton on
In <slrnhm8rm1.hd6.unruh(a)wormhole.physics.ubc.ca>,
unruh <unruh(a)wormhole.physics.ubc.ca> wrote:

> Certainly the original copyright owner retains that copyright.
> It is certainly a severe breach of ethics to hide the source of code
> that is being used. Whetehr it is illegal, I could not say, especially
> with the broad modification permission that the GPL gives.

cdrkit still credits cdrtools copyright holders, including Jorg
Schilling, in its copyright notices. There are at least 2 reasons why
his claims that it violates GPL-2 clause 2c are false:

(a) The program itself isn't required to print a copyright notice unless
it reads commands interactively eg a shell.

(b) Even if it is interactive, it isn't necessary to print a copyright
message if the original work didn't anyway. As cdrtools' copyright
notice includes libellous comments about cdrkit, it was obviously added
after the fork.

--
TH * http://www.realh.co.uk
From: unruh on
On 2010-01-30, Tony Houghton <h(a)realh.co.uk> wrote:
> In <slrnhm8rm1.hd6.unruh(a)wormhole.physics.ubc.ca>,
> unruh <unruh(a)wormhole.physics.ubc.ca> wrote:
>
>> Certainly the original copyright owner retains that copyright.
>> It is certainly a severe breach of ethics to hide the source of code
>> that is being used. Whetehr it is illegal, I could not say, especially
>> with the broad modification permission that the GPL gives.
>
> cdrkit still credits cdrtools copyright holders, including Jorg
> Schilling, in its copyright notices. There are at least 2 reasons why
> his claims that it violates GPL-2 clause 2c are false:
>
> (a) The program itself isn't required to print a copyright notice unless
> it reads commands interactively eg a shell.
>
> (b) Even if it is interactive, it isn't necessary to print a copyright
> message if the original work didn't anyway. As cdrtools' copyright
> notice includes libellous comments about cdrkit, it was obviously added
> after the fork.
\?? And even if it did is no evidence that it did not display notices
before the fork. Since Schilling keeps copies of all his editions,
finding out would not be difficult.

Note that your "rules" seem to have been made up on the spur of the
moment and have no standing in copyright law. Where in the world do they
come from. They seem to have the same standing as scientists common
knowledge that if they take a picture or diagram from an old paper of theirs
which they gave away the copyright to to the journal, if they alter some
small thing in the diagram, it no longer falls under the old copyright.
That is simply false, but most physicists if you ask them will tell you
it is true.

Note that my cdrecord states

>cdrecord --scanbus
Cdrecord-ProDVD-ProBD-Clone 2.01.01
Cdrecord-ProDVD-ProBD-Clone 2.01.01a65 (i686-pc-linux-gnu) Copyright (C)
1995-2009 J�rg Schilling
Linux sg driver version: 3.5.34

Exactly which of those statements is libelous?

From: Tony Houghton on
In <slrnhm9d3a.tnh.unruh(a)wormhole.physics.ubc.ca>,
unruh <unruh(a)wormhole.physics.ubc.ca> wrote:

> On 2010-01-30, Tony Houghton <h(a)realh.co.uk> wrote:
>> In <slrnhm8rm1.hd6.unruh(a)wormhole.physics.ubc.ca>,
>> unruh <unruh(a)wormhole.physics.ubc.ca> wrote:
>>
>> cdrkit still credits cdrtools copyright holders, including Jorg
>> Schilling, in its copyright notices. There are at least 2 reasons why
>> his claims that it violates GPL-2 clause 2c are false:
>>
>> (a) The program itself isn't required to print a copyright notice unless
>> it reads commands interactively eg a shell.
>>
>> (b) Even if it is interactive, it isn't necessary to print a copyright
>> message if the original work didn't anyway. As cdrtools' copyright
>> notice includes libellous comments about cdrkit, it was obviously added
>> after the fork.

[Snip]

> Note that your "rules" seem to have been made up on the spur of the
> moment and have no standing in copyright law. Where in the world do they
> come from.

They come from clause 2c of GPL-2. Are you seriously challenging that's
what the GPL means? In other words do you claim the GPL deliberately
states:

(a) All GPL software must print a copyright notice regardless of whether
it's interactive.

(b) A fork must print whatever whimsy the maintainer of the original
branch demands as a copyright notice.

> They seem to have the same standing as scientists common
> knowledge that if they take a picture or diagram from an old paper of theirs
> which they gave away the copyright to to the journal, if they alter some
> small thing in the diagram, it no longer falls under the old copyright.
> That is simply false, but most physicists if you ask them will tell you
> it is true.

....Quacks like a Creationist.

> Note that my cdrecord states
>
>>cdrecord --scanbus
> Cdrecord-ProDVD-ProBD-Clone 2.01.01
> Cdrecord-ProDVD-ProBD-Clone 2.01.01a65 (i686-pc-linux-gnu) Copyright (C)
> 1995-2009 J?rg Schilling
> Linux sg driver version: 3.5.34
>
> Exactly which of those statements is libelous?

I don't care what "your" cdrecord states. It's well documented that
earlier versions printed complaints about "bastardized and defective
versions" being shipped with distros.

--
TH * http://www.realh.co.uk