From: Mark Hobley on
Tony Houghton <h(a)realh.co.uk> wrote:
> I'm in a similar position. I'm not short of (semi) hi-fi equipment, but
> my main problem is that the analogue circuitry on ordinary PC sound
> cards clips below the normal maximum level of "line in/out" and my RIAA
> preamp seems to have a particularly high output with no gain control.

An attenuator using a couple of resistors would not be hard to build, although
it has been nearly 20 years since I last did any practical electronics.

The belt has gone on my record player, and I was wondering whether it may be
better to get one of those USB turntables, rather than buying a new belt and
rigging up the system to record through a sound card.

> I'll probably have to use my hifi amp and maybe use the headphone socket
> instead of line out so I can control the analogue level

The line out would not usually clip, unless the input level is too high to
start with. You may get away with using the cassette player input rather than
the record player input on the back of the amp. Another option might be
to bypass the pre-amp or the main amp and just adjust the input volume via the
sound card mixer control. Failing that, its a few hours soldering that
attenuator, or jumping on ebay to get hold of one.

Or you may also think about a USB turntable too :) I'd love to know if they
are any good.

Mark.

--
Mark Hobley
Linux User: #370818 http://markhobley.yi.org/

From: unruh on
On 2010-01-31, Mark Hobley <markhobley(a)hotpop.donottypethisbit.com> wrote:
> unruh <unruh(a)wormhole.physics.ubc.ca> wrote:
>
>> That depends on the country. In some countries it is a criminal act to
>> violate copyright.
>
> This is a uk newsgroup, so presumably we are talking about the law as it
> stands in England and Wales (or are we talking about Scottish Law or
> Northern Ireland here?).

And German law ( that is what Schilling is most interested in). I do not
know what copyright law in the UK is, or in the EU, or in GErmany--
civil and/or criminal.

From: unruh on
On 2010-01-31, Nix <nix-razor-pit(a)esperi.org.uk> wrote:
> On 30 Jan 2010, Joerg Schilling told this:

>>>You don't need root privileges to write to a CD or DVD writer under
>>>Linux.
>>
>> Given the fact that your other claims prove that you are missing the needed
>> skills on Linux to be able to judge on this, the best fit reply would be:
>> you are uninformed and thus wrong.
>
> Gosh I wonder why nobody wants to use your software. It's really a mystery.

Everyone uses his software. It is the dominant software on Linux for
writing cds, dvds, etc. cdrkit is mostly software that he wrote.

From: Tony Houghton on
In <uoug37-gad.ln1(a)neptune.markhobley.yi.org>,
Mark Hobley <markhobley(a)hotpop.donottypethisbit.com> wrote:

> The line out would not usually clip, unless the input level is too high to
> start with. You may get away with using the cassette player input rather than
> the record player input on the back of the amp.

I think the tape etc inputs would be too far the other way ie the level
would be too low to use a reasonably wide range in the ADC (ie samples
would only use a few of the available bits and have the effective
resolution of, say 8-bit, instead of 16-bit). Besides, RIAA has
additional bias to compensate for the medium's frequency response.

--
TH * http://www.realh.co.uk
From: Martin Gregorie on
On Sun, 31 Jan 2010 10:08:02 +0000, Mark Hobley wrote:

> Out of interest. What record player are you using? Do you have the
> record player connected via a sound card, If so do you have a pre-amp in
> between? or do you have one of those record players that connect via
> USB?

I started off with an ION U-record 'external sound card', i.e. an A->D
converter, that connects to my laptop (running F10) via a USB port. I'm
using Audacity to create WAV files and (currently) Brasero to convert
these into audio CDs. I rapidly learnt that, while its easy to record
each vinyl side as a single track, the resulting 2 track CD is almost
useless unless you want to play right through every time because its a
real pain to find individual tracks - much worse than a casette tape.

BTW, although the U-record is a fairly cheap & cheerful device, it does
have a decent Burr-Brown AD converter, accepts both MC and line level
input and lets you control its gain. It has no analogue outputs. It
doesn't add any noise or distortion that I can hear.

My stereo system is quite old, consisting of Garrard 301 deck with an SME
arm and Shure V15 cartridge driving a Quad 33/303 amp and Celestion
Ditton 44 speakers. It has other sound sources too: a Quad FM3 tuner,
Nakamichi BX-125 tape deck, Sony CDP338 CD player and (recently added) a
Roku Soundbridge internet radio tuner.

I soon realised that simply plugging the record deck into the U-Record
was pretty limiting in terms of audio sources, so things got rearranged.
I added a QED 2-way tape switch to the mix. The Naka and the U-record are
connected to it as tape decks and its third connection goes into the Quad
33 preamp's tape socket. The result is that I can record to CD via the U-
record from all the other audio sources including the Naka and the Naka
can record from all sources except, obviously, the U-record which has no
analogue outputs.

--
martin@ | Martin Gregorie
gregorie. | Essex, UK