From: anahata on
On Mon, 25 Jan 2010 13:26:59 +0000, Martin Gregorie wrote:

> CD-RW media isn't recommended

I've never got CD-RW to work satisfactorily for anything.

IME, with CD-R about 10p each when bought in bulk, it's easier to use
CD-R once and throw away than mess with trying to re-use CDRW media.

--
Anahata
anahata(a)treewind.co.uk ==//== 01638 720444

From: chris on
On 25/01/10 14:30, anahata wrote:
> On Mon, 25 Jan 2010 13:26:59 +0000, Martin Gregorie wrote:
>
>> CD-RW media isn't recommended
>
> I've never got CD-RW to work satisfactorily for anything.
>
> IME, with CD-R about 10p each when bought in bulk, it's easier to use
> CD-R once and throw away than mess with trying to re-use CDRW media.

Yebbut. Think of the planet! ;)

I agree with you, though, that CD-RWs are v. problematic. I wish they
weren't as it would reduce waste enormously. I went through my old CD-Rs
of linux isos last week and I must have thrown away about 20... :(

From: anahata on
On Mon, 25 Jan 2010 14:58:11 +0000, chris wrote:

> Yebbut. Think of the planet! ;)
>
> I went through my old CD-Rs
> of linux isos last week and I must have thrown away about 20... :(

Recycle them as bird scarers or something...

For many applications, there are much better ways of physically carrying
data from one place to another, like SD cards or USB flash drives.

I have one application for throwaway CDs, which is an audio multitrack
hard disk recorder that won't export to any other media. There's a later
model that has a USB port but if I were to replace it.... well, think of
the planet :-)

From: Phil on
anahata <anahata(a)treewind.co.uk> writes:

> For many applications, there are much better ways of physically carrying
> data from one place to another, like SD cards or USB flash drives.

I haven't burned a linux distro to cd for ages, nowadays I just download the
fedora live iso and then use that to re-create my live usb stick and re-install
to my laptop and desktop using the usb stick.

Phil
--
Old protocols never die. They just get migrated over TCP/IP.
From: Ian on
On 25 Jan, 10:57, Tony van der Hoff <t...(a)nospam.vanderhoff.org>
wrote:
> Ian wrote:

> > It seems that Jörg Schilling's attitude deters many from adopting his
> > excellent software.
>
> Schilling and Debian/Ubuntu are equally pedantic. Both are more
> interested in childish point scoring than in reaching a settlement.

Not just Debina/Ubuntu - you should have seen the fuss Herr Schilling
made when someone distributed a version of cdrecord for OS/2 with a
very useful -hpfsnames flag. And there was me thinking that the free
software world encouraged the distribution of derivative works ...

Ian
First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13
Prev: 7 proves he can't do simple math