From: unruh on
On 2010-01-24, Martin Gregorie <martin(a)address-in-sig.invalid> wrote:
> I'm in the process of transcribing some vinyl to CD. These are disks that
> I've had for years and that have never been reissued on CD. I'm using
> Audacity and an external sound card to make WAV files without any
> problems, but I'm having a spot of bother creating playable music CD
> images from the files and burning them to CD:
>
> - In the past I've used XCDRoast, but version 0.98alpha15, the one
> released with Fedora 10, is borked. Quite apart from having a
> decidedly non-intuitive way of getting it to accept the list of
> files to be burnt, it goes through the motions of burning a music CD
> but in fact it merely burns a data CD. I can play the files OK with
> RhythmBox but the disk is entirely silent when put into my CD player.
>
> I know the version of XCDRoast distributed with Fedora 8 was OK, but
> this one seems to be junk.
>
> - Gnome's CD/DVD creator has no obvious way of telling it to write a
> music disk - none that I've managed to find, anyway.
>
> There has to be a better way of burning music CDs, so What software are
> you using to burn them?

k3b, cdrecord, cdrdao (but you have to build a .toc file- at least
initially and then you can use gcdmaster to graphically edit it and join
other tracks)
Note that xcdroast and k3b are front ends to cdrecord. Also get yourself
the real cdrecord, not the ancient offshoot, dying for want to support,
called wodim, or cdrkit. (cdrecord.berlios.de)

From: unruh on
On 2010-01-24, Paul Martin <pm(a)nowster.org.uk> wrote:
> In article <hji4lm$a2g$2(a)localhost.localdomain>,
> Martin Gregorie wrote:
>> I'm in the process of transcribing some vinyl to CD. These are disks that
>> I've had for years and that have never been reissued on CD. I'm using
>> Audacity and an external sound card to make WAV files without any
>> problems, but I'm having a spot of bother creating playable music CD
>> images from the files and burning them to CD:
>
> gcdmaster:

> GNOME CD Master is a GUI frontend for creating audio CDs and burning them using
> cdrdao.
> .
> Features:
> * Easy to use graphical interface
> * Multiple project support
> * Playing of Audio CD images
> * Easy dump of CDs to disk
> * CD to CD copy
> * Composition of new Audio CDs from wav files
> * Graphical insertion of Track Marks (to divide live recordings)
> * Easy CD-TEXT modification
> Homepage: http://cdrdao.sourceforge.net/

Unfortunately you have to first create a .toc file-- primative-- before
it will do anything I have found. Or is there some secret to running
gcdmaster with no .toc file argument and having it create one?

From: Ian on
On 25 Jan, 00:09, unruh <un...(a)wormhole.physics.ubc.ca> wrote:
> Also get yourself
> the real cdrecord, not the ancient offshoot, dying for want to support,
> called wodim, or cdrkit. (cdrecord.berlios.de)

It seems that Jörg Schilling's attitude deters many from adopting his
excellent software.

Ian
From: Tony van der Hoff on
Ian wrote:
> On 25 Jan, 00:09, unruh <un...(a)wormhole.physics.ubc.ca> wrote:
>> Also get yourself
>> the real cdrecord, not the ancient offshoot, dying for want to support,
>> called wodim, or cdrkit. (cdrecord.berlios.de)
>
> It seems that J�rg Schilling's attitude deters many from adopting his
> excellent software.

Schilling and Debian/Ubuntu are equally pedantic. Both are more
interested in childish point scoring than in reaching a settlement.

I don't think the differences are great, but it seems impossible for the
interested parties to get together.

So we, the users are stuck with the fallout.

--
Tony van der Hoff | mailto:tony(a)vanderhoff.org
Buckinghamshire, England |
From: Martin Gregorie on
On Sun, 24 Jan 2010 18:48:22 +0000, Martin Gregorie wrote:

> There has to be a better way of burning music CDs, so What software are
> you using to burn them?

Thanks to all of you for your suggestions.

I have installed K3b, Brasero and gcdmaster. Of these, Brasero is
probably the easiest to use, i.e. has the most intuitive GUI, and did my
initial burn last night.

However, I did find one insufficiently documented gotcha: the almost
total inability of any of these programs to write to a CD-RW. After both
XCDRoast and Gnome CD Creator both failed to create a music CD I tried
burning to CD-RW media to avoid wasting any more CD-R disks. The results
were:
- gcdmaster cant see a CD-RW disk at all. I'll try this again with a
CD-R in case this program can't see the drive. However, I think
it is the disk medium since it failed on both my laptop and desktop.

- K3b and Brasero can find the CD-RW but both fall over with errors
that they report as 'another program is using the drive' after
they've found the disk, read its capacity and generated a music CD
image and are starting the burn.

Of all five programs I've tried, only one (XCDRoast) warns that writing a
music CD to CD-RW media isn't recommended. It looks from this that it
should be described as a total no-no rather than merely 'not recommended'
and that the programs that don't object to the medium should do so.

--
martin@ | Martin Gregorie
gregorie. | Essex, UK