From: Fury17 on
Every time I run CCleaner, it takes forever to remove multiple
Dc##.mp3 files from the C:\Recycler\S-1-5-21-1... path. I tried
exploring for the Recycler folder and it shows the folder but it is
always empty. Should I just delete the folder? BTW I use Norton 360,
AdAware, CCleaner and SpywareBlaster and CCleaner is the only thing
that ever finds it.

p.s. Another forum went on about disabling explorer.exe, open regedit,
delete all keys, etc. - any legitimacy to this? Thanks I am new here.
From: The Central Scrutinizer on

"Fury17" <fury17deco(a)gmail.com> wrote in message
> Every time I run CCleaner, it takes forever to remove multiple
> Dc##.mp3 files from the C:\Recycler\S-1-5-21-1... path. I tried
> exploring for the Recycler folder and it shows the folder but it is
> always empty. Should I just delete the folder? BTW I use Norton 360,
> AdAware, CCleaner and SpywareBlaster and CCleaner is the only thing
> that ever finds it.
>
> p.s. Another forum went on about disabling explorer.exe, open regedit,
> delete all keys, etc. - any legitimacy to this? Thanks I am new here.

Yes much legitimacy if you actually know what you would be doing
with all of that :-)

From: Old & In The Way on
On Oct 26, 1:14 am, "The Central Scrutinizer" <gci...(a)hotmail.com>
wrote:
> "Fury17" <fury17d...(a)gmail.com> wrote in message

> > Every time I run CCleaner, it takes forever to remove multiple
> > Dc##.mp3 files from the C:\Recycler\S-1-5-21-1... path.  I tried
> > exploring for the Recycler folder and it shows the folder but it is
> > always empty.  Should I just delete the folder? BTW I use Norton 360,
> > AdAware, CCleaner and SpywareBlaster and CCleaner is the only thing
> > that ever finds it.
>
> > p.s. Another forum went on about disabling explorer.exe, open regedit,
> > delete all keys, etc. - any legitimacy to this?  Thanks I am new here..
>
> Yes much legitimacy if you actually know what you would be doing
> with all of that :-)
>
> --

I found that my version of the "Recycler Virus" starts in the Registry
under HKEY_USERS in
S-1-5-21-<lots of garbage>-1003_Classes (500 indicates Administrator,
and regular users start with -1000)

(Be SURE that you backup your registry BEFORE you start changing
anything in there!)
Start -> Run "regedit" then slide down to the bottom of the registry
and click on HKEY_USERS.
Taking a peek won't hurt anything ... But changing values can destroy
your system!

I think disabling Explorer and then 'hand-cleaning" the registry may
the only way out.
McAfee's Downloadable Scanner will not download citing a need for IE8
as the reason - but I have IE8!
(Possibly this product is being blocked by the malware to prevent the
malware's removal.)
Good luck ...
From: The Central Scrutinizer on
Actually if you are screwing with the registry like this, you should do
a wipe and reinstall.

From: OldandInTheWay on

@ The Central Scrutinizer: You are exactly right!

In fact, even a "full-format" of the disk isn't enough.

It's in the "System Volume Information" folder, too.

You must "DELETE THE EXISTING PARTITION(S)"
and then create a new partition(s) on the disk drive.

Lastly do a "FULL FORMAT" to prepare the disk drive
for use in the system, or to reinstall Windows XP Pro.

--
OldandInTheWay
OldandInTheWay's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/152152.htm

http://forums.techarena.in