From: Tristan Mumford on
Clockmeister wrote:

> "Tristan Mumford" <xtristan.xmumford(a)xgmail.xcom> wrote in message
>> agila61(a)netscape.net wrote:

>>> A$50 is the same price that sold out in some other parts of Australia
>>> last year. Electronic gear always costs more in Oz ... when the A$ is
>>> low, that is the excuse, and when its high, protecting themselves in
>>> case it falls is the excuse.
>>
>> Exactly! that's why a lot of people (myself included) buy overseas where
>> possible. It works out far cheaper, even with postage.
>>
>> There's always talk of keeping the dollar in Australia etc. I'd gladly do
>> it
>> if they weren't trying their hardest to gouge people.
>>
>> I'd much rather give my money to some honest individual overseas than
>> someone trying to pick my pocket over here. Why would I willingly give a
>> thief money?
>>
>> < /rant >
>>
>> That's why I never got a DTV :)
>>

> I bought mine for $29.95 and then later they went as low as $24.95 when
> they were on special.
>
> $50 was the introductory price but they soon dropped.

Ah yes. I remember specials. They don't really have them here for some
reason.
Well, they do sort of. Like the big stores such as Target. They will have
stock on special but not put it out until the price has gone back up.

And the prices never ever drop on old stock. It just sits there. The 5 year
old PDAs and PCs, PS1 titles, obsolete mp3 players. The lot. Not all stores
are quite that bad though.

--
-----> http://members.dodo.com.au/~izabellion1/tristan/index.html <-----
===== It's not pretty, it's not great, but it is mine. =====
From: agila61 on

Clockmeister wrote:
> $50 was the introductory price but they soon dropped.

I don't think they were on sale for very long in Newcastle at the lower
price ... I'm pretty sure they sold out. But then, I was never much of
a mall rat, so that could be wrong, or just that one store.

From: Clockmeister on

"Chris Baird" <abuse(a)brushtail.apana.org.au> wrote in message
> > A$50 is the same price that sold out in some other parts of
> > Australia last year.
>
> My local Targ�t has recently dropped the price to A$30..
>
> I recently fried my DTV while setting it up for a small project to
> have another machine bit-banging PS2 keyboard codes to the DTV. I
> can't justify the cost of a new one, though.

I could if it didn't have the colour fault, but they all do AFAIK.

From: agila61 on

bud wrote:
> Group: comp.sys.cbm Date: Wed, Jan 3, 2007, 7:10pm (CST+17) From:
> xtristan.xmumford(a)xgmail.xcom (Tristan Mumford)

> script:

> >There's always talk of keeping
> >the dollar in Australia etc. ...

> Uuff! I consider myself conservative, but that is _really_
> old-fashioned, ineffective, protectionist, economics. The US economy
> took off best when we stopped worrying about 'balance of payments',
> etc., and started competing, and buying the best deals.

Yeah, that's why the current account deficit is heading toward 10% of
GDP, and we have the weakest job creation of any recovery since WWII.
Because we got a great economy from not worrying about the petty stuff.

From: agila61 on

Clockmeister wrote:
> I could if it didn't have the colour fault, but they all do AFAIK.

Probably a catch 22 there, then ... if they sold faster they would have
come out with a new batch, without the colour fault, but they didn't
.... in part because of the colour fault.

The blame, of course, is with whomever it was who ACCEPTED the
manufactured product without testing it properly. That was penny wise
and pounds foolish.