From: E.D.G. on
After consulting with various parties including the ones who are running the
Web server where I have a Web site it appears that not too many people know
how to answer these types of questions. So, back to the Perl Newsgroup.

Question: Can anyone recommend a specific Perl language program that can be
stored on a Web site where it will do the following?

--- Accept an E-mail letter sent to some address at the Web site
--- Extract attached files such as GIF picture files from the E-mail letter
--- Store those picture files in some directory at the Web site

A Perl language program would be best. But for the moment, probably a
program written in any language that can run at a Web site would work. And
again, there might be a sizeable number of Perl programs out there that can
do that. But there are likely just a few that people are recommending more
than others. For doing bulletin board work the "Movable Type" program is
presently being evaluated.

From: Tad McClellan on
E.D.G. <edgrsprj(a)ix.netcom.com> wrote:

> Subject: Re: CGI Program Questions

You do not need a CGI program for this.

CGI programs are for responding to HTTP requests.

Nothing in your problem description leads me to believe
that there is an HTTP request anywhere that needs to be
responded to...

Please re-read RedGrittyBrick's response again. It is chock full
of good advice. If you don't understand what was said, ask a
specific question about the part that you didn't understand.

> After consulting with various parties including the ones who are running the
> Web server where I have a Web site it appears that not too many people know
> how to answer these types of questions.

Perhaps that is because what you request has nothing whatsoever
to do with the World Wide Web.

> Question: Can anyone recommend a specific Perl language program that can be
> stored on a Web site where it will do the following?

> --- Accept an E-mail letter sent to some address at the Web site

This has nothing to do with any Web site.

This has something to do with email.

email and the www are separate services, conflating them will make
it harder for you to find a solution.

I'm not too sure what "accept" means here. Do you have a working
email system already? That is, can you send an email to the address
that you want, and then read that email?

Configuring email is not a Perl topic.

> --- Extract attached files such as GIF picture files from the E-mail letter

That depends on how the files are attached.

Seems likely that a module with "MIME" in its name would be
helpful with that part.

> --- Store those picture files in some directory at the Web site

perldoc -f open
perldoc -f binmode
perldoc -f print

> A Perl language program would be best.

Writing a Perl language program would be best.

Learn Perl or find someone who already knows Perl to do your job for you.

--
Tad McClellan
email: perl -le "print scalar reverse qq/moc.liamg\100cm.j.dat/"
From: J�rgen Exner on
"E.D.G." <edgrsprj(a)ix.netcom.com> wrote:
>After consulting with various parties including the ones who are running the
>Web server where I have a Web site it appears that not too many people know
>how to answer these types of questions.

Maybe that is because of the type of question? Not many people would be
able to answer a question about how to use a bicycle to cross a white
water river, either.

>So, back to the Perl Newsgroup.
>
>Question: Can anyone recommend a specific Perl language program that can be
>stored on a Web site where it will do the following?
>
>--- Accept an E-mail letter sent to some address at the Web site

Extremely unlikely because email are not send to web site addresses.
They are send to email addresses which have nothing whatsoever to do
with WWW.

>--- Extract attached files such as GIF picture files from the E-mail letter

Check any of the MIME modules. Chances are (although there is no
guarantee) that the email client used MIME encoding for the attachement.

>--- Store those picture files in some directory at the Web site

Where is the problem? Doesn't open() and print() work (depeding on your
platform you may need to investigate binmode()?

jue
From: E.D.G. on
"J�rgen Exner" <jurgenex(a)hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>--- Accept an E-mail letter sent to some address at the Web site
>
> Extremely unlikely because email are not send to web site addresses.
> They are send to email addresses which have nothing whatsoever to do
> with WWW.

This looks like it is more complicated than originally thought. The
following is an outline of the situation.

Like most Internet users who have Web sites I am either renting Web
site space on some commercial firm's Web server or am using a free Web site.
Let's say I have site A on one Web server and site B on another. With each
I have registered with the site an E-mail address that server personnel can
use to contact me.

With site A I can send an E-mail to that server using my registered
E-mail address. And the server will automatically extract picture files
from my E-mail and store them in one of the directories at my Web site.
Unfortunately that service seems to run one day and not the next.

Sever B appears to me to be more reliable. And they have E-mail
handling programs available with my Web site package. But they do not have
programs in place that will extract files from E-mails sent to that Web
server. And it has been my assumption that some program at CPAN or at some
other location could be downloaded and stored at my Web site. And it would
do the same thing that is being done with the site on the A server.

From these discussions and my discussions with the people running
server B I am getting the impression that this E-mail file processing
feature might actually need to be built into the server itself. It could be
that it cannot be added by individual users.

With some further checking it should be possible to determine if that
is or is not the case. If not then I will simply have to run my Web site on
server B without that E-mail reading option.

From: E.D.G. on
"Tad McClellan" <tadmc(a)seesig.invalid> wrote in message

This looks it could be more complicated than I thought. It might even be
impossible with the Internet service I am using. Details can be found in my
response to J�rgen Exner's post.